• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best fishing book

Pikers Progress - John Watson
Elite Barbel - Tony Miles
Tunny - Chris Berry
Tinca Tinca - The Tenchfishers
Mammoth Pike - NJF's (his first MP book)

In no particular order:

1. A Specimen Fishing Year by John Wilson
2. Carp and The Carp Angler by George Sharman
3. An Obsession with Carp by Dave Lane
4. The Deepening Pool by Chris Yates
5. Silver Season - Golden Memories by Tony Miles

My top 5
Casting at the sun - chris yates
Skies of fire rivers of gold - fred crouch
Quest for barbel - miles & west
River diaries - chris yates
60 years a fisherman - john wilson

1 barbel a lifetimes addiction Trefor west
2 tiger bay rob maylin
3 carp life mike wilmott
4 quest for barbel Tony miles trefor west
5 Redmire pool Clifford and artery

In no particular order from me as well.

Confessions of a carp fisherman by BB
Elite Barbel by Tony Miles
Championship match fishing: Ten of the best by Clive Smith
Stillwater Angling by Richard Walker
Encyclopedia of float fishing by Billy Lane

A strange mixture, I know, but I used to match fish and all apart from Elite Barbel were read initially when I was young.

In no order 1) Somewhere down the Crazy river by Boote and Wade 2) Casting at the sun by Chris Yates 3) Man-eaters of Kumaon by Jim corbett 4) Sex,Death and fly fishing by John Gierach 5) Quest for a legendary Fish by Trans World Fishing Team

1) How to Fish - Chris Yates
2) No Need to Lie - Richard Walker
3) Elite Barbel - Tony Miles
4) The Deepening Pool - Chris Yates
5) Avon Days & Stour Ways - Kevin Grozier

In no order 1) Somewhere down the Crazy river by Boote and Wade 2) Casting at the sun by Chris Yates 3) Man-eaters of Kumaon by Jim corbett 4) Sex,Death and fly fishing by John Gierach 5) Quest for a legendary Fish by Trans World Fishing Team
Interesting mix there Mark. I purchased (from Paul Boote) and then sold SDTCR. Does the Jim Corbett book have a big fish content?

A Dream of Jewelled Fishes by John Aston ( I will read a chapter of this every week, love it ).
Elite Barbel by Tony Miles ( how I imagined I fished for Barbel ,only done properly 😂).
Quest for Barbel by Tony Miles and Trevor West ( probably should be in every Barbel fishers library)
Casting at the Sun by Chris Yates. ( a 'classic' in the true sense of the word ).
A Line on the Water by Stephen Harper ( not a book you see on many lists but beautifully written and certainly takes you right to the river bank).
Enjoy...
G.T.

1) How to Fish - Chris Yates
2) No Need to Lie - Richard Walker
3) Elite Barbel - Tony Miles
4) The Deepening Pool - Chris Yates
5) Avon Days & Stour Ways - Kevin Grozier

How To Fish - hard to leave that out my top 5. I've leant this book to a couple of non-anglers who have loved it and both said they could see the point of angling, with one subsequently taking up fishing. Beautifully written.

Pikers Progress is a cracker, definitely my favourite pike fishing book.
Yes a cracker with tales of 'Wattos' piking escapades 😁. It used to fetch over £100 until he updated it with a 'Pikers Progression' . I've fished with Watto when he came up for a few days. A character👍😁.

A Dream of Jewelled Fishes by John Aston ( I will read a chapter of this every week, love it ).
Elite Barbel by Tony Miles ( how I imagined I fished for Barbel ,only done properly 😂).
Quest for Barbel by Tony Miles and Trevor West ( probably should be in every Barbel fishers library)
Casting at the Sun by Chris Yates. ( a 'classic' in the true sense of the word ).
A Line on the Water by Stephen Harper ( not a book you see on many lists but beautifully written and certainly takes you right to the river bank).
Enjoy...
G.T.
Agreed Graham. Stephen Harper's LOTW is a great little book. Stephen is a nice bloke and probably the best in the business at what he does. Artistic and well produced books. Stephen's been involved with many of the latest additions to angling literature.

Back