• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best centre pin!!

David, If you have the money available to buy a rolling pin then buy a Youngs Purist and save a few quid, it will not develop a wobble, bits wont wear out, or create line twist.
Please don't be put off about learning to Wallis cast there is no great mystery about it. If you have reasonable hand eye coordination, and a free spinning reel, it dose not have to spin for two minutes of more, you sould have no problem. I Googled "Wallis cast" printed off a couple of sheets and followed the instructions in the garden, and with in an hour could put a half ounce weight at 10 mt every time. With practice on the bank I was soon able to reach the far bank of the Avon with ease. Don't try and cast too far too soon, gradually increase the distance. When it goes wrong, and when you get a birds nest just think back and analyse your movements to see what wasn't quite right. Once learnt it is a real pleasure, it is accurate, and very quick, when you swing in and see that the bait is still ok in one flowing movement the bait is swung back out again. You will never regret spending a few hours learning and perfecting the Wallis cast that you can use for the rest of your life.
I have always thought that compromise reels like the Rolling Pin and the Grice and Young Orlando could never achieve the best of both worlds, and some thing got lost along the way.
ATB
Colin

There is none on Youtube with the rolling pin, they are earlier TV and vids.

The Rolling Pin was used on
Andy Little's Angling Adventures TV + VHS- Volume 2
On Coarse with Dean Macey TV + DVD.
Tight Lines programmes with Keith Arthur -Sky TV - TV and possibly Sky TV Tight Lines various archives.
Ouseing Barbel - The Real Adams Family. VHS+DVD (Only a little bit of short casting on this one.)

Anglers use Centre Pins for various types of fishing and particular presentations.
There are loads out there, old and new, of different designs, sizes, features, and prices, cheap and expensive. The Rolling Pin is a good all rounder, highly practical and a doddle to use. It has the benefits of both worlds, long casting ability of a fixed spool combined with the superior playing control and braking of a centre pin. I am not saying it is the 'best' Centre Pin per se, but it is probably the high up the list in its class as a quality sidecaster centre pin.
It is a very versatile and practicle bit of kit for many angling situations that you may find on the riverbank, and to where other centre pin reels/fixed spools may be limited in what you can do with them.
Obviously, they are not to everyones taste, especially traditionalist anglers, but sidecasters have been around for possibly hundreds of years in different designs and materials, just as the standard centre pins.

Last edited:
cheers for that ray, im gonna have a look at one i think!! does it have the ajustable ratchet for when rivers in flood and fast flow?

i live right next to the teme in worcester and when its flooded its very fast!!

The Mk2 has an on/off ratchet setting built into top front lip of the back plate, similar to the speedia which was also made by J.W Young, which avoids the getting the line trapped ,as on the Mk1 to where the ratchet switch was positioned on the side of the back plate itself. There is also a braking system (knurled screw knob) positioned on the spokes (as on the Ariel) to where it can be tightened up to reduce or stop the reel spinning freely.
The combination of the ratchet and the tightening of the brake system is quite strong in floodwater conditions, but if it is not, then a more powerful internal spring can be fitted or the original spring can be adjusted (bent out a little) which may achieve the required extra power.)
A third extra 'flood' position on the ratchet system was requested by me for the Mk2 version, but Jim Young said it would complicate the positioning/internal mechanism of the reel and would take time to achieve, so we did not go ahead with it at that point.
Basically, I 'always' have the brake set fully tightened up (without the ratchet on) which stops the reel accidently spinning backwards totally freely (unless your trotting) to where it will drop line ‘unnoticed’ and causes line bird’s nests and tangles which you really don't want. The setting for the brake system in this way is totally adequate for me to give and take line as I do when rolling baits along the riverbed.
I can again adjust the brake and add the ratchet if I require it for static fishing and an audible alarm. However, i never fish the rig and bait static in a rod rest in a deep fast flood current. I fish it on the edge off the fast current or closer in to where there is less resistance, or i hold the rod/line well above the surface current which also provides less resistance to the rod bending due to the fast current/flow.

If you do look at one in a shop etc, make sure you attach it to a rod first, as you can turn the switch/reel the wrong way.

Last edited:
I have a mk2 RW rolling pin as I wanted a smaller diameter centrepin for stalking carp more than barbel but if now lives on another product bearing the Ray Walton name, a Bruce and Walker Hexagraph no.2 Avon, and I find I never use the side cast with it, usually I cast with a Nottingham style and when feeling brave, and nobody can see, a wallis cast:D I do find the ratchet could be stronger and have modified the spring, bent it a bit;), which helps.
Also have a 4 1/2" purist 2 and it's a good allrounder but a 4" would be better for barbel. A spedia that lives on a Fred j Taylor roach rod which make a particularly good setup, a trudex on a mk4 cane Avon and a 3 3/4" Allcocks aerial on a Wallace wizard, also a nice setup. I have a few other 'pins for lighter trotting and feel that the choice of 'pin is dependant on the rod you use as well as where and what your fishing for, if you want traditional style or hi tec features, vintage or modern. Loads to choose from and at a price to suit all, just get the one that feels righ on your rod ;) and don't be afraid to try a few on your rod in the shop :p

David, ive got a mk2 RW, and i love it.... bought mine from Ray himself,and he even showed me how to use it.Mine is used mostly for 'static' type fishing, Very easy to cast as far as you'll ever need , and when playing a fish the reel feels good and solid. Had mine over a year now and cant say ive any noticabe 'wobble' on it.

As has already been said, you can do all the 'traditional' casts with it, but if you cant or dont want to master that kind of thing you also have the option to side-cast, which for me has been brilliant..... and they look great too :D

kev

cheers guys will have a good look at one.

im gonna look at a ray walton rollin centre pin and fred crouch and see which one suits..

another question for everyone!! using braid on the centre pin!! does it have many benifits? and if so which one? as i fish the river teme mainly!!

Hi David,

there are two questions, firstly, what do you want it for? Trotting, ledgering, looking good?

Secondly, What's the budget?

A centrepin is for allowing a bait to move along the river at roughly the same speed as the current.....................or.................................being a Chris Yates "type" purist angler. Nothing wrong with that before you all start!

5 years ago, I didn't own a single centrepin. Now I have 15!

I VERY rarely use them for "barbel fishing".

Contrary to other peoples opinion, the "wallis cast" i find, is very difficult to master and a fixed spool reel is king for most of my dangling.

If you want to trot a float through though, nothing else comes close.

For trotting, my personal choice would be a Youngs Purist or Allcocks Match Aerial 4 1/5 inch. Superb line recovery and ultra smooth! Both reels are around £140-£180 for a good second hand one. I also have a 5 inch Adcock Stanton which spins forever (not always what you want) and has no ratchet.

For £ 80-£90 you can get an Okuma "Sheffield". Superb but a bit heavy. Again, spins forever (german engineering)!

If you want a ledgering reel, a Speedia or Trudex in good condition will be more than suffuicient but are smaller reels and therefore recover line more slowly. Personally, I find them a bit too small for big fish which are likely to take line.

As usual, it's all down to personal preference and I would definately recommend giving one a go.

I would recommend a good Speedia as my "all round" favourite starter, expect to pay £40-£50 for a good second hand one.

Good luck and enjoy.

Best regards,
Jeff

Hi jeff
Mainly ledger fishing but I am gonna have a go at rolling some meat through this season !! And also use it for stalking carp ! But I'm getting addicted to the pins!!

Back