• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best centre pin!!

David Boulton

hi there guys, im looking at getting a new centrepin,but not sure whats gonna be the best!!
im using a Marco Cortesi Signature Centrepin which aint bad but i would like to spend a bit more money and have something which will last!!

i will be ledgering mainly and wondererd if any one rates the j w young ray walton rollin pin?? i hear you can twist the reel round and do a normal cast!! which could be handy!! and ive been told about the fred crouch jet pin,but i dont know anyone that has played with one!!

and also there is a barbel catcher pin which is made by gary mills and has a ajustable ratchet!! which looks the dogs balls!!

but any advice would be great..dave.:)

yeah i have heard the walton pin after time can get wobberly!!

alex is the the akuma sheffields the top one ? ive seen the martin bowler one on offer!!

Hi David, I've tried a good few centrepins in my time and my favourite for static barbel fishing is an early Fred Crouch wide drum Aerial. Reputedly his early models were better made than the more recent versions, though I can't vouch for this as I don't have a recent model. You can tell an early one by the bobbly finish on the backplate.
The main advantage of this reel is the drag facility which can be adjusted to suit the flow. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his Match Aerials which are on ebay for £135. In my view this is incredible value for money...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fred-Crouch-Match-Aerial-Centrepin-Reel-/160592504975?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item25640f288f

What about a fully restored WD Speedia?

If you get a nice free spinning one with no play in the spindle I think they are excellent but are few and far between. I know of a guy selling a mint like new condition WD that has been fully restored I would love to buy it if my wallet was allowing! I sold a decent WD deluxe about a year or so ago and have always regretted it.

yeah i have heard the walton pin after time can get wobberly!!

alex is the the akuma sheffields the top one ? ive seen the martin bowler one on offer!!

I'm not sure Dave, I think the Kennet is the dearest. I have an Aventa and a Sheffield which are both excellent reels but don't know much about the others

The Fred Crouch Jet appears to be the same as the Aerial Match. I don't know what the widths of the wide and narrow drum versions are without measuring them, but would definitely suggest the wide drum for ledgering..

A good WR Speedia narrow drum is one of my favourite trotting reels, but not so good for ledgering for barbel IMHO

Cheers tim,

I think the fred crouch pins are nice , but i would like to see one in the fleah before i buy!! Are they any good on a flooded river ?

I have two pins, Okuma Sheffield which I use for trotting for chub and grayling mainly, superb reel, and an Lewthams Blue Magnum which I picked up in a sale at my local tackle shop at 50% off. It is the wide spool version at 1" wide, great for legering with a rachet like a car alarm. Not the same build quality as the Okuma but the width sold it for me. Both worth checking out.

'pins I own:
2 Speedia wide de-luxes
1 Speedia Narrow de-luxe
1 Fred crouch Aerial
1 Allcock c815 Aerial
1 Marco Cortesi

'pin I would most hate to loose:
The first Speedia wide I bought. A picture of it is above this posting. Best reel out of all of the above listed, by a country mile. The Cheapest too. Light, spins the longest and easiest, adjustable ratchet, rim mounted check (which I absolutely adore), I could go on...
Get one; you won't regret it.

Last edited:
I have :

2 original Fred Crouches
4 latest Fred Crouches
1 Okuma Aventa Pro
1 Youngs TrudexII - likely to be sold
1 Kingpin Regal - likely to be sold

There's a clue as to what I'd recommend :)

Have you read Centrepins and using them, especially for Barbel fishing

or in "my" style (easier to read?) see here - it'll answer most, if not all, of the questions raised in this thread :)

For c'pin data see the (unfortunately aborted) Centrepin Database https://barbel.co.uk/site/cpindb/index.htm

paul4

ps "timbutdim" - Hi Tim, been a long time :)

David....The RW/J.W Young Rolling Pin can be used for various types of fishing including static fishing, rolling baits and trotting, and also different species of fish species in lakes and rivers. It can cast long distances with ease and is perfect for shorter more accurate casting in tight situations like gaps between trees etc. You do not need to be a centrepin expert to use it and does not require anyone to learn the Wallis cast or other. Basically, it has the casting ability of a fixed spool reel combined with the superior fish control/braking and enjoyment of using a centrepin.
Yes, there was a small batch that were faulty a few years ago to where an inadequate smaller part was fitted and this was rectified soon after as mentioned and fully explained in the old BFW archives. Yes, the turning/locking device may wear or become loose in time depending on general usage and sometimes accidental mis-usage of the locking mechanism, but is easily repaired/replaced by J.W.Young/Masterline, usually free of charge. As the locking/turning mechanism is quite a complex internal feature made up of tiny ball bearings, sleeves and a small piston bar release, it is prone to wear and tear over time just like a car part. The switch mechanism was designed by Jim Young of J.W Youngs. The Mk1 original version does 'not' have the locking device and is in some ways easier to use. The MK2 has the locking device. Both models turn to the front for easy casting. Over 1000 of the newer MK 2 versions have been sold and you can pick them up well below the RRP on ebay or online shops and sometimes local tackle shops who discount them. Really, they are pucka if you are not a centrepin tart or want to take time to learn the old traditional art of wallis casting or other. Hope this helps....Ray

Last edited:
Back