• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbelon a pin

I don't like using a centrepin. It isn't a crime, at least I've tried it. I'm not trying to stop anyone that enjoys it carrying on doing so. If me saying that I don't particularly like them adds a counter to the often zealous praise of the technique and saves a waverer from rushing out to buy a centrepin to try this wonder method, I'm happy.
I must admit I can't actually see in this thread anybody offering zealous praise for pins.....well perhaps you could accuse PB of this, but he is hardly representative.:D And I don't think would claim to represent any one but himself.

Even the most ardent user of pins would be clearly bonkers if he described it as a wonder method.

As a decent pin can be brought new for £30, which is considerably cheaper than most baitrunners, I can't see why people shouldn't be encouraged to use one particularly when the circumstances are appropriate.

Anyway, off to fish the middle Severn this afternoon for a nice change and I will not be using my pins....nor will I be using a baitrunner, just a simple fixed spool reel that enables me to cast and retrieve a feeder at a fair distance, something pins are not as good at. However on the weekend I may be fishing on a little welsh river, where I shall be using neither as with a fly rod I find baitrunners and centre pins just don't do the business;)..

I must admit I can't actually see in this thread anybody offering zealous praise for pins.....well perhaps you could accuse PB of this, but he is hardly representative.

Yeah right. Probably why, for thirty-odd years, I have had a huge and highly disapproving "fanclub" among misty-eyed centrepin zealots on account of my relentless mickey-taking about them and their distressed finishes, nickel-silver spokes, Kelly kettles and split-cane Y-fronts.

I must admit I can't actually see in this thread anybody offering zealous praise for pins.....well perhaps you could accuse PB of this, but he is hardly representative.:D And I don't think would claim to represent any one but himself.

Even the most ardent user of pins would be clearly bonkers if he described it as a wonder method.

I agree that there isn't necessarily zealous praise for pins on this particular thread. There are a few putting up a case for the defense though and there are plenty of threads on the net that eulogise. A pin enthusiast can tell me that I'm wrong all they like, it's pretty pointless when it's just a matter of taste and preference.

As for PB, I've seen him mock pin use, and particularly some users, more than praise. I definitely don't consider PB a pin zealot.

As a decent pin can be brought new for £30, which is considerably cheaper than most baitrunners, I can't see why people shouldn't be encouraged to use one particularly when the circumstances are appropriate.

What have baitrunners got to do with it? I'm not championing the use of any type of reel. I don't care what other people choose to use. I don't care what anyone thinks of methods I, or anyone else, may or may not employ. I'm not trying to encourage or discourage the use of anything. However, I firmly believe that what comment on pins is visible on-line is overwhelmingly positive. I'm happy to be one of the few offering the view of trying it but it not being for me and that perhaps it's not all it's cracked up to be. If it causes someone to pause before potentially wasting even thirty quid, it's worth saying.

P.S. It's not a "traditionalist" thing. I expect that someone suggesting that Harrison rods weren't all they are cracked up to be would get a similarly frosty reception.

Last edited:
OK you win...........

Who would have thought that such an inocent show of opinion would have stired up so much vitriol in such a short time it is like Celtic v Rangers. For all the tackle tarts who are missing the point as to which is the most superior reel, the one that combines the best atributes of both Pin and Fix Spool, and has up to date technology. It works like a centre pin, but has gears, and a clutch. You can't beat a multiplier. It casts like a pin but has breaks to avoid over runs, it can fish off the ratchet, it has the adjustable clutch, gears for fast retrieve. The 6000 C is superb as it has a level wind fitted, and for the more traditional angler there is the 602AP, but you have to watch it a bit as no breaks on it.:)
You don't know what you are missing.

Multiplier??????......HERATIC.....BURN HIM......BURN THE WITCH AND ALL HIS TYPE....THE PIN IS THE ONLY TRUE WAY

PRAISE THE PIN.... PRAISE THE PIN

ONWARD CENTREPIN SO-HOL-DIERS, MARCHING AS TO WAR

etc etc etc etc

You can't beat a multiplier. It casts like a pin
Must be a pretty good caster to cast like a multiplier with a pin....I can get to the other side of the Severn with a multiplier but am lucky to make the middle of the Teme with my pins..

Must have missed the vitriol in this thread, has is been deleted?

Hi Chaps

I must admit I use a pin most of the time for my Barbel fishing, so much so that I only used a fixed spool reel once last term (mahoosive downstream wind with a big Waggler 4 rod lengths out and I blanked).

To be fair I have not legered for Barbel for the last 3 years, fishing the float is just so much more fun with a pin and I suppose I have gotten used to playing fish with pins, I think I have far more control playing them and even big fish do not take very long to land.
But surely this is about choice, I prefer using a pin and that is all that matters, I don't really care if others prefer a fixed spool, it’s up to them.

I would not use a pin to ledger because I think a fixed spool is a better tool, I also tend to use fixed spool reels for my Predator fishing, but I do occasionally use Multipliers, and for drifting wind assisted baits I use a bigger pin.

My point is, I use the tool that will do the best job, but just because you prefer to use a pin, does not mark you as a “traditionalist†but as an individual, a mate of mine often uses a Pole in situations I would think are not ideal, but he is mustard with a Pole(probably because he really enjoys it) and he can do things with his Pole rigs that I could never emulate (including a 14lb 9oz Barbel from a very snaggy swim).

Fact is, we are all different and want different things from investing a day of free time on the river.

For me a pin is the perfect tool to use if I am trotting a river up to 2-3 rod lengths out and providing the wind is not too strong and downstream, if I am fishing the lead then a fixed spool reel would be my choice.

But then again we all have different preferences, and being different does not make us bad people!!

Tight Lines.

Hi Chaps

I must admit I use a pin most of the time for my Barbel fishing, so much so that I only used a fixed spool reel once last term (mahoosive downstream wind with a big Waggler 4 rod lengths out and I blanked).

To be fair I have not legered for Barbel for the last 3 years, fishing the float is just so much more fun with a pin and I suppose I have gotten used to playing fish with pins, I think I have far more control playing them and even big fish do not take very long to land.
But surely this is about choice, I prefer using a pin and that is all that matters, I don't really care if others prefer a fixed spool, it’s up to them.

I would not use a pin to ledger because I think a fixed spool is a better tool, I also tend to use fixed spool reels for my Predator fishing, but I do occasionally use Multipliers, and for drifting wind assisted baits I use a bigger pin.

My point is, I use the tool that will do the best job, but just because you prefer to use a pin, does not mark you as a “traditionalist†but as an individual, a mate of mine often uses a Pole in situations I would think are not ideal, but he is mustard with a Pole(probably because he really enjoys it) and he can do things with his Pole rigs that I could never emulate (including a 14lb 9oz Barbel from a very snaggy swim).

Fact is, we are all different and want different things from investing a day of free time on the river.

For me a pin is the perfect tool to use if I am trotting a river up to 2-3 rod lengths out and providing the wind is not too strong and downstream, if I am fishing the lead then a fixed spool reel would be my choice.

But then again we all have different preferences, and being different does not make us bad people!!

Tight Lines.

Using a pole in a snaggy swim , no running line , no clutch , how dreadful ! How do people who backwind with old fixed spool [or should that he threadline reels] stand ? It's all getting a bit daft this ,if you take a step back , hardly worth all this huff and puff . Just use what you think is the best tool for the job or what gives you most pleasure , after all pleasure is what this fishing lark is supposed to be all about isn't it ?

Oh no Keith you've gone and mentioned Barbel fishing in a snaggy swim with a pole to boot, that's a whole other debate ......... oh wait, the snag fishing one has happened ............. just the pole one to cover (tongue in cheek face).

Just goes to show, this should all be about fishing the way we enjoy, personally I would like to see Keith fish with a pin and I'd like to see how his friend handles a pole in those situations as I think I'd learn a lot. Personally my own fishing is about constant learning and applying unfamiliar techniques to my advantage, the sole aim of which is to get a fish to take a bait and put it on the bank as quickly and safely as possible, all methods have their place, sure I enjoy some methods more than others but I enjoy blanking less!

Even from Keith's post above I've learnt, the idea of using a large pin for drifted dead baits for Pike sounds like a fine idea, turn up the drag to match the breeze and let the pin do its thing, sounds like a great way to fish that particular method and is one I will definitely try later this year, thanks Keith :)

All the best chaps,

Steven.

Pete Marshal,
As It happens I am a pretty good caster having competed in several beach casting tournaments over the years, but that has nothing to do with it.
What I said was "it casts LIKE a pin" not the same as a pin,and nothing to do with casting prowess,and not able to achieve the same distance. On the cast the line comes off a revolving spool on a multiplier like a pin.;)nothing more than that.

Steven

Myself and Dave Currell (ex Record Barbel holder) are running a "Stick Float day" for Verulam Angling Club on 17th September, it is at their Marford Farm fishery, it's free but to members only.

Basically I run through how I float fish on a river, I'm not saying this is how to do it, but rather this is how I do it!
I go through:-

Tackle-Rods Reels Etc
Watercraft
Swim selection
Swim diagnosis
Interpreting Flow Profile
Bait
Feed patterns
Float selection
Shotting patterns
Fish behaviour
What to do
What not to do

Followed by a practical demonstration, after that, participants can fish using our gear in prepared swims with one to one instruction.

We have done this for the last few years, it seems to go down quite well with our members.

Hi Keith,

Sounds like something I would be interested in especially as I'm originally from Herts  If only it wasnt the day after my sisters Wedding  Are you doing another one later in the year?

Cheers,

Steven

Steven

Myself and Dave Currell (ex Record Barbel holder) are running a "Stick Float day" for Verulam Angling Club on 17th September, it is at their Marford Farm fishery, it's free but to members only.

Basically I run through how I float fish on a river, I'm not saying this is how to do it, but rather this is how I do it!
I go through:-

Tackle-Rods Reels Etc
Watercraft
Swim selection
Swim diagnosis
Interpreting Flow Profile
Bait
Feed patterns
Float selection
Shotting patterns
Fish behaviour
What to do
What not to do

Followed by a practical demonstration, after that, participants can fish using our gear in prepared swims with one to one instruction.

We have done this for the last few years, it seems to go down quite well with our members.

Good on you, Keith.

Would happily have done the same a few years ago on the club waters of my river since 4.5 years of age some miles south of yours, but then you know how things can go with some clubs and some people...

Back