• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbelon a pin

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men ,

Had a dabble on the centerpin for barbel today . I have caught one before on a borrowed on , but wanted a Teme tiger on my own ;) .

Had one , and glad I did , so now I can bite the line , and put it on show with the rest of my old /antique fishing stuff . What a pile of over hyped **** people talk about them . They are perfect for trotting , but not a patch on pukka bait runners .

Dont belive the hype .

hatter

Last edited:
By the same token, I would say that the people who talk that sort of bolli about centrepins are usually those who can't really use them, so poo all over them and those who can use them rather well. Odd lot, we fishers, still just little boys in the playground trying to impress and out-do each other...

Hi men ,

Paul am i not allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours ?. You really are a sanctimonious font of all knowlage , to belittle someones fishing ability because you dont agree with thier view is school boy stuff , grow up.

Hatter

Last edited:
Hi men ,

Paul am i not allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours ?. You really are a sanctimonious font of all knowlage , to belittle someones fishing ability because you dont agree with thier view is school boy stuff , grow up.

Hatter

I really think you are wasting your breath Mark, but we can but try :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Your going to be in for more stick I think Mark!
But I have to agree, though perhaps prematurely as I've still not actually caught one on the pin, but I fail to see any reason behind using them other than for trotting or just nostalgic nonsense!
They're superb for trotting, but I wouldn't say that it was any more enjoyable catching fish on the pin, than with any other reel.
If that makes me a Philistine, so be it, but I want to enjoy my fishing not get frustrated at being unable to cast properly. And I fail to see the point of wasting endless hours trying to learn how to cast with the bloody things, for no benefit in the long run.
Each to their own and all that:)

Hi Mark

We've always had a cordial relationship on this and other forums so I hope you won't take this the wrong way. Try reading your original post on this thread again. First time I read it it seemed designed to wind people up, so hardly surprising that someone has already had a dig. So, irrespective of any history that you and PB should happen to have or not have, it's a little rich for you to get quite so uppity at his reply.

Yeah by all means have an opinion on something, but when an opinion is put across in such a way, it's always going to get people's backs up.

FWIW I use a pin occasionally if rather inexpertly. I enjoy it alot and with a small amount of practice and no tuition I got reasonably good at casting. I've only had one modest barbel on it but loved the direct control I had. I use one a lot more regularly for my perch fishing and have had numerous good fish using one. I for one can't understand why people use rear drag reels or how many backwind while playing a fish, but each to his own. I'm not about to start ******* swearing to get my point across.

Hi men ,

Had a dabble on the centerpin for barbel today . I have caught one before on a borrowed on , but wanted a Teme tiger on my own ;) .

Had one , and glad I did , so now I can bite the line , and put it on show with the rest of my old /antique fishing stuff . What a pile of over hyped **** people talk about them . They are perfect for trotting , but not a patch on pukka bait runners .

Dont belive the hype .

hatter

Ignore the hype and find out for yourself, I did and use my pins whenever I can.

I also have pukka baitrunners (Shimano 5000 XTEA) which I regularly use on the clutch.

Catch and play a 14lb carp on a 13ft match rod with a fixed spool reel with 4lb line, and then do it with a pin - that will demostrate control.

I cannot Wallis cast and have no intention of learning so I bought a Ray Walton Rolling Pin. This with a 10ft rod is my 1st choice when roving. I can fish the margins, the opposite bank and even upstream.

But then again all this is my own personal opinion which others can and some will say - is a load of twaddle.

Dave.

P.S. I have used my 10ft cane rod once to catch a Barbel – I no longer use it as I prefer carbon fibre rods.

You aren't alone in your thinking. I couldn't actually give a damn if people presume a lack of ability with a pin, they may be quite correct. However, it's not an ability that I'm wanting to develop further and I won't apologise for that.
https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/showthread.php?t=4074&highlight=centrepin

Kind of illustrates my point Chris. I remember your thread, it got across pretty much the same views as Mark's but without the resulting arguments, but then you managed it without poking a stick in the hornet's nest, so to speak. If you read PB's response in yours I think you'll also realise that maybe he doesn't disagree too much with Mark's views, but maybe more so at the tone of the post. Whilst I wouldn't proclaim to know what's going on in his head (Christ, who does?), I know from his posts on a now defunct traditional angling forum, that Paul is not a dyed in the wool traditionalist and as such unlikely to get upset at someone having a pop at a method of fishing he may like. Anyway, as I don't know Paul I had better let him speak for himself as I may be talking out of my backside!

Last edited:
i think Rhys has hit the nail on the head nostalgic nonsense. Unless trotting normal bait runner reels are far superior than any centre pin reel in every department

Kind of illustrates my point Chris. I remember your thread, it got across pretty much the same views as Mark's but without the resulting arguments, but then you managed it without poking a stick in the hornet's nest, so to speak.

Perhaps, but it still didn't stop someone having a go at me.;):D

Hi men ,

Martin , hi mate , hope all is well on wasing . Regarding pins , it is nearly September , so i have ive it a fair go , catching on my mates £300+ reel , and on a cortasi £30 job ( absolutly no diff there either ). The reason I tried one was really through reading peoples experiances on here , as many do ,being inspired to try it out . Yes it was nice when the cluch screamed ( as all people who watch passion for angling like ) , but gave no advantage over my baitrunners ?. The 10lb line is coming off , and its going back on the trotting rod ,ready for the roach / grayling days .

It's not as if I'm not into nostalgia , I have a 200 year old cottage , restoring it with roll top bath, crapper toilet , and all the Victorian parafanalia that goes with it , but also have a big flat screen :D.

Hatter

Last edited:
It's in the pleasure of using older style kit I spose. They were never designed for legering for any species of fish, as when they appeared, every man and his dog, only knew about float fishing.
Reminds me of the low-fi hi-fi brigade. (of which I am one) Tubes v transistors.

807Williy.JPG

Tut tut Mark............... nowt wrong with my pin's mate.:D:D:D

Is that one of those oxymoron sayings "a decent bait runner", surely such a thing does not exist:D:D:D

Looking forward to the 31st matey;)

Perhaps, but it still didn't stop someone having a go at me.;):D

That's the problem with forums mate, you can read what you like into other's posts. I've read through your thread again and can't see any replies that are having a go, just some light hearted leg pulling.

Mark, yes mate had a good summer on the Wasing this year. Still not been on the river as much as I'd like. Hope you've found somewhere that is more dog friendly.I've seen from your posts elsewhere that when you have had the chance to get out you and the missus have done well.

Back on the subject of pins, I have no problem with your opinion of them, at least you seem to have given them a fair go (don't discount their use for other types of fishing though mate), just felt that the tone was a bit OTT.

I like playing barbel on a pin. The onus is on the angler to control the fish as opposed to a set of gears to do it for you. Can't comment on baitrunners as i've never used them for barbel. Waste of technology for me as i invariably touch leger with an old Abu 54.
Works for me but each to their own :)

I am an advocate of the pin.but the baitrunner has its place also..anyone that feels it hasn't is living in the past and in denial of reality....;)
The reality is its easier with a fixed spool reel in most fishing situations,the pin can give a bit more excitement but surely the objective of any reel is an aid for the angler and I feel the pin has become a fashion statement....:rolleyes:
Whatever reel you the angler choose to use should be the one you feel most comfortable using..

I switched to a pin last season, as I have been drawn into the hype and had convinced myself that I had to get a pair. Well I did and, whilst they are nice to play fish on, they will remain a trotting tool which is what they are designed for.

If I need to wind down on a fish quickly a 1:1 retrieve isn't going to do the job like my 400D's will do and that's my biggest concern with a pin. If you have a carp charging towards the pads or a barbel heading towards tree roots/snags, which reel would you rather be winding down to the fish with?

I also used a centrepin last week on a small local carp lake and I had 18 fish to 13lb. Whilst it was good fun, I did struggle to control a few fish quickly enough as they zipped off towards tree roots/lily pads and also, because of the hand positioning with a centrepin, it also left me with a very uncomfortable ache in my hand afterwards.

Once the distance between angler and hooked fish becomes 'significant' I do believe that the fixed spool reel with the 5:1 ratio is a far better tool for the job but, having said that, I do get the whole nastalgia/traditionalist/fashion statement thing.

If I were riding the Tour de France, I'd choose the 27 gear carbon fibre racing bike over the Penny Farthing every time!

Last edited:
Neil

I think you summed it up better than I...right best start sorting out my gear for this evenings stint a Fishers Green..
Tight Lines all:)

Back