• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbelon a pin

i was going to ask about the SS2600, not keen on the baitrunner thing, CP's ARE OK!
just another tool in the box.

Last edited:
Barbel on Pin

My current barbel PB (13.01) was taken many years ago on Cane & a Chris Lythe centrepin. In those days just about all my barbel fishing was done in the 'traditional way'. One season saw me catching well over 300, mostly in this manner.

In about 2004 something came over me & I went 'modern' with a pair of Bob Gill's fab rods & super efficient Shimanos. Gone went the Edward Barder net & rod, in came the modern equivalent much lighter & more efficient. For the last 7 years this is how I have fished, efficiently but without soul.

Attached is a picture of a barbel caught last week on my newly acquired Mill Tackle Barbus, horribly expensive but what a great bit of kit. It is one of about 30 caught on it in the last couple of weeks. Do you know what, I have enjoyed every one of them. I won't be using 'pins to the exclusion of all else, just when the conditions are appropriate. Call me sentimental but I think they have soul.

On a more serious note, lighten up chaps, it's only fishing!

Bob

Attachments

• 10.08.jpg
    10.08.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 242
Reels have soul! Pulleeeeese, reels have gears or they dont, they dont posess mystical vibes! In that case my rod has 3 kids and is married and lives in portsmouth!

ITS A REEL NOT A PERSON FOR <edit> SAKE! To me there **** to others there not , i wont change their opinion , they wont change mine, if they were that good every angler would be using them.

Hi men,

Gone on a bit eh? . Sam , I dont mean baitrunners specifically , but that type of quality reel / size . I have 4 , but have just picked up a epix Pro .I rarely use the baitrunner facility , normally only if i have take my eye of the rod , or when setting up / breaking down etc, but I know plenty that do ! , but they are quality reels .

Pins ,cant say I have not give them a try , all last season ,and a bit of this ,caught fish , but it was nothing special ,simple as that .No extra pleasure for sure , but then my main pleasure is watching fish feeding , and especially the rod whack round . The pin wont go to waste , its on the float rod ready to trot for grayling /roach .

As an engineer i can see the work that goes into the top of the range stuff , which dictates the cost , but rarity does that as well , so having to wait for a certain reel keeps the price high .

Wooden rods ( cane ) , love them . got a rebuilt rod from Mr Arbury , its a fantastic bit of kit , the sweet peas look so nice growing up it :D . Oh alright , they ain't before the Walker police come round :D:D:p .

Hatter

Last edited:
Bet there are more people using baitrunners than pins........funny that
Can you elaborate? Are you suggesting that if more people use a thing it is better or worse?
Seems odd logic either way to me.

Bet there are more people using baitrunners than pins........funny that

not really. as pete says that means nothing at all. more people use a manual tooth brush than an electric. ask your dentist which is better.
i use both types of reel and can honestly say the pin is better suited to me than a bait runner most of the time. if a bait runner is so much better, how do you adjust the drag with a rod in one hand and a landing net just about to net the fish in the other ? quite simple with a pin ;)

Mark i don't think fish caught on a pin are more special, maybe a bit more fun. i also like the epix pro (i have 4) but as i said, how i fish, a pin is better suited to me. i only commented on here because of the arrogance of one or two posts (not yours Mark).

I don't understand why people feel the need to defend the honour of their chosen method. If I stated that I didn't like curry, would I get grief from the curry enthusiasts? Would the presumption be made that I must be evangalising for Chinese quisine? Would someone try to suggest that I was using a naan bread incorrectly and therefore was an incompetent curry eater?

Someone doesn't like using a centrepin, big deal. It's not stopping anyone that does enjoy them using them. To be told that your preference is wrong by someone else is, frankly, ridiculous.

I don't like using a centrepin. It isn't a crime, at least I've tried it. I'm not trying to stop anyone that enjoys it carrying on doing so. If me saying that I don't particularly like them adds a counter to the often zealous praise of the technique and saves a waverer from rushing out to buy a centrepin to try this wonder method, I'm happy.

I don't understand why people feel the need to defend the honour of their chosen emethod. If I stated that I didn't like curry, would I get grief from the curry enarthusiasts? Would the presumption be made that I must be evangalising for Chinese quisine? Would someone try to suggest that I was using a naan bread incorrectly and therefore was an incompetent curry eater?

Someone doesn't like using a centrepin, big deal. It's not stopping anyone that does enjoy them using them. To be told that your preference is wrong by someone else is, frankly, ridiculous.
I don't like using a centrepin. It isn't a crime, at least I've tried it. I'm not trying to stop anyone that enjoys it carrying on doing so. If me saying that I don't particularly like them adds a counter to the often zealous praise of the technique and saves waverer from rushing out to buy a centrepin to try this wonder method, I'm happy.

Well i would suggest you are a 'incompetent curry eater'. Why would you go for the plain naan when a keema naan,garlic naan or even a cheese naan is much more tastier? Sorry but it just really winds me up!;)

Stephen, you are clearly the "incompetent curry eater" Just to bring up cheese naan in a serious curry debate demonstrates that.......

Hi men ,

Steve , I was a waverer , but the Cortasi £30 job saved me some money , but do know someone who paid alot more for his , which is now sitting on a float rod . Its horses for corses , but it was through reading posts on here that made me think I was missing out in some way , im not , my view .

Hatter

Back