• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bad Angling, Muppets and people who make your blood boil.

Noisy anglers. The type that turn up to a peaceful stretch of river late morning, slam car doors a dozen times, then set up in pegs a few yards apart but have a day long conversation as though they are half a mile apart.

They usually pack up mid-afternoon declaring that 'there's nowt in here' before planning their next trip chasing puddle pigs in the nearest hole in the ground.

They`re the ones i like because i know they`re not coming back to " my bit " of river,

Only fished a few times this season and some of the things i have seen have been disgraceful.
1. Landing fish straight onto gravel.
2.Trying to land a Barbel into a 14" net.
3. Multiple breaks on the hooklength due to the BS being too low.
4. Fishing from the top of the bank and dragging the Barbel into the rocks prior to landing it.
5. Numerous campfires.
6. Sleeping while rods are still in the water, bivvy all zipped up etc.
7. Litter
The best one so far was after 2 guys packed up leaving their rods, yes 4 rods still in the river, was to ask me to look after them while they took the rest of their tackle half a mile back to the car.

Is it just me that finds this unbelievably irritating.....

Time to move on Jonboy. It beats me why everybody automatically heads to Collingham when they fish the TT. Afterall the Trent is only 170 miles long....

You only have to look at the quality of the angling media to see where these people come from, while the pages are full of ads for the Margin Bagger the Reaper and the Carp Killer and the articles are of the Bag 200lb in 5 hrs type we are always going to get the knobs.
You cant really blame the angling media though, they are simply following the lead of the mainstream red tops who seem intent on dumbing down the population while maximising their circulation.
What we need is an angling Jeremy Kyle show where these nutters can go and be admonished on national tv for their digressions against the gentle pastime angling should be. We could start with Robson Green.

Thank god for the Wye - i really do count myself fortunate after reading these posts

Litter.

I have had a few things to say about this on the Thames pages in the past. Where there is easy access for people the litter seems to get out of control. Where there are stories of 'easy' to catch - or 'free' to catch river carp the problem can explode. Old boilie and pellet bags, meat tins, drinks tins, etc etc plus my new pet hate the 'disposable' BBQ.....

That often gives anglers a bad reputation above and beyond all other river users.

Ops I am off on one.

Hi all,

Sadly, they are everywhere.
We have our fair share of them down here as well.
Not sure what the answer is other than education but the kind of people we're talking about never went to school in the first place!

Must say though, the Trent sounds particularly horrible.

Regards,

Jeff

mobile phones in the opposite swim going off all day EVERY MINUTE.....grrrrrr..KILL EM!

The Chairman, foaming and gnashing, on Thursday

Mobile phones anywhere...

I am so sorry but I am going to have to kill all of you.

As ever,

B.B.

i know someone (not a mate) who lived pretty close to the river like myself who took a fish home "for a quick snap" not thinking the fish may die from being out the water so long... twit...mind you i bumped into the same lad the other night and he had some army issue rambo style knife with him he was proud as punch of... guess the worlds full of them.

I seem to remember reading in Stoneys book about his life on the Thames, that once when he was a young man putting an 8lb barbel in a wet hessian sack on his handlebars and cycling a good 8 mile round trip to the club secretarys house and back to the river again, just so he could have the weight of the fish verified and win the clubs biggest barbel of the year competition. Apparently although it took a while (!) the fish did go back.

Oh for simpler times eh :D

Very depressing picture, but Jeff they are not ''everywhere''. My worst confrontation last season was with Charlie big patatos, a brown bull. Ended up falling down the bank into a huge bed of nettles. My mate Ian thought it was very funny. Later in the day his bank collapsed and dumped him in the river, there is a God and he is just. The ''Hotspot'' was getting trashed a few years ago, but is now left clean. Found an old corn can two seasons ago, disgracefull. Okay maybe it isn't that good, but it is not that bad. I walk a long way, the fishing can be pretty hard, nothing over 9lb last season, however I can see an upside to not bagging up and lots of doubles.
Sorry your fishing is getting trashed, still loving mine! Pay under £90 for my club membership, open to all.
Shaun of the dead

I pay £45 a season to sit on a lovely wild stretch of the Trent, good fishing NO DAY TICKETS.
Jeff away from the known hotspots the Trent is a beautiful river.

Worst experience I cam across was at Bridgnorth last season, I went and sat on a swim known as the Muds, thank god it was a fine day, the Muds is one swim upstream of the most popular peg on the stretch. On there sat a guy on a platform which he had erected in the water. He was fishing across towards the far side on a maggott feeder. He caught a few and lost a few. After he had lost one paticular fish heard him cussing like mad. Some ten minutes later I was into another and netted a lovely fish of around 5lbs. It was bleeding profusely from the side of it's mouth where embedded right in the corner was a size 16 with two red maggotts still attached. I removed the offending hook and treated the fish with some Friars Balsam, thankfully it swam off not appearing the worse for wear. I went and had a chat with the guy below me and asked if he was using size 16 and baiting with red maggot. He said he was but was losing as many fish as he was catching and so far had used 6 hooks. When I pointed out that he should be fishing with stronger gear and bigger hooks and he would have a better success rate he told me in no uncertain terms what I could go and do.
Not a pleasant experience. Made even worse when I found out later that he was one of their top match anglers.
I did report this back at the tackle shop along with his car reg number but don't know if any action was taken.

Don't think the Wye is immune from them Mark....... its not.......

Steve

Perhaps ive just been lucky not to bump into these morons. Having said that, we do have to deal with Canoes! :D

Thank god for the Wye - i really do count myself fortunate after reading these posts

The Wye has it's own set of problems, when I've fished the Wye I've found it to be plagued by canoe company's who will rent a canoe to anyone who turns up with a fist full of notes. While some of these incompetents are simply family groups on a day out many of them are single sex groups on a stag or hen weekend.these individuals have no regard whatsoever for any other river users and are often made braver and more obnoxious by the fact there are a dozen of them and they're full of Stella.
The Wye is also the only river I have ever been on where I've had 'wild swimmers' going through my swim......and more than once....The first time it happened I was on the Red Lion stretch and a naked couple with their clothes in plastic bags swam through my swim, the second time was below Hereford at the bunch of carrots when I had a scout troop swim through fully clothed.
I've never fished at Biblins but there were plenty of tales on the old site of hordes of mad Welshmen descending on the place and turning it into a bit of a slum, how true that was then or how true it is now I have no idea but I know it did cause some heated exchanges on the old boards and ended up with a couple of people getting banned from posting.
It's not all bad though, the club I'm a member of has a stretch which sees very little boat traffic, limited access on the far bank, no day tickets, bailiffs which have a good helping of bulldog in their genes, is in beautiful surroundings and has a decent head of fish.

The Wye,will become the same , if the Usk & Wye foundation continue too canvas land owners promissing a greater return on their water's . Angling Clubs such as Newport and the Royal Forest Of Dean have lost water as a result of the Usk and Wyes greed resulting in greater pressure on those clubs that has negotiated long term leases. The Usk and Wye are just using revenue generated by coarse anglers to subsidise game fishermen, in the longterm if Salmon catches return to figures of the 1970s how much of their water will then be availible to us Barbel anglers?:(

I drove past wye bridge last week and there were 5 people fishing and not a drop net in sight not that a drop net would be any good , the distance from the bridge to the water must be at leats 50ft , i was waiting in the traffic lights on the bypass and i was seething , i contacted the angling club as soon as i could all i will say is they were fortunate it was not the stretch i bailiff but hang on ,there were 5 of them and they were all drinking at what stage do we as decent folk get involved ? even as a club bailiff i would be a little bit worried on tackling that situation .

I seem to remember reading in Stoneys book about his life on the Thames, that once when he was a young man putting an 8lb barbel in a wet hessian sack on his handlebars and cycling a good 8 mile round trip to the club secretarys house and back to the river again, just so he could have the weight of the fish verified and win the clubs biggest barbel of the year competition. Apparently although it took a while (!) the fish did go back.

Oh for simpler times eh :D

Well i think a huge fib is being told then ! :eek:

Either the 8 miles was an extreme exageration, cos i wouldn't give much for it's chances if it was 80 yards ! plus being weighed etc, or that fact that it went back, ........ implying that it was alive that is, maybe it did go back, but alive after an 8 mile round trip !! Wet hessian sack or not, .... never - no way ;)

Ian.

Back