• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bad Angling, Muppets and people who make your blood boil.

Peter Stone a liar :eek: How dare you speak ill of the dead, wash your mouth out with soap.

Twwwph - yuk, that tasted horrible ! :eek:

Bar of soap in hand............. Never no way ;)

Yukkkk ! i swallowed that bit ! .... do i have to keep doing this Ade ? :(
Ian.

The Chairman, foaming and gnashing, on Thursday

Mobile phones anywhere...

I am so sorry but I am going to have to kill all of you.

As ever,

B.B.

I got your text Paul. Cheers

Mobiles on silent and vibrate, stupid ringtones going off, the recipient shouting rather than talking down the thing.

I try and get away from that **** when I am fishing.

Well i think a huge fib is being told then ! :eek:

Either the 8 miles was an extreme exageration, cos i wouldn't give much for it's chances if it was 80 yards ! plus being weighed etc, or that fact that it went back, ........ implying that it was alive that is, maybe it did go back, but alive after an 8 mile round trip !! Wet hessian sack or not, .... never - no way ;)

Ian.

Any man that chased gravel pit chops with mackeral is a bit quirky.

Last edited:
I see behaviour on a daily basis that i don't like.As John has,you then have to make a decision.Do i tolerate this and continue fishing where i do,or do i try to educate said miscreants or move on to pastures new where i can enjoy my fishing in peace with nature? The demise in standards in fishing isn't about fishing per se, it's a demise in standards in society,full stop.

Any man that chased gravel pit chops with mackeral is a bit quirky.

Oh most definitely quirky, but as for the gravel pit 'chops' I'm pretty sure he caught em... :D

As for you Ian, I'll try and dig the book out over the weekend and get back to you.... It could well be that I need to borrow that soap haha :D

Off topic I know...but not sure that WUF are the problem rather than the organisation that can keep the Wye and it's tributaries safe from over exploitation by dare I say Angling yobs that are described on this thread. Sure it is not cheap to fish any of their stretches at c.£20 but the times I have fished their waters it has been great value with multiple catches of Barbel. The rod restrictions WUF impose in my mind is crucial to the well being of these Rivers, and from what I know about WUF it's a model that seems to have a genuine concern regarding conservation.
Perhaps we should not disregard Salmon in favour of Barbel, I would certainly welcome an improved Salmon run up all our Rivers as an indication that our Rivers are progressing all the time.
Further controlling those awful canoe hire cowb...er companies at Ross would add further to the welfare of the Wye I reckon

I love salmon, having had several hundred British ones and many many foreign-caught specimens in 45 years of fishing for them, but am very aware that salmon and those who fish for them are a class apart in lots of ways. Don't delude yourselves, chaps: if salmon were to return to the Wye in the rod-caught several thousand per season that they did until the 1990s, the presently much-courted £20-a-pop barbel-fisher would be gone, off the river from June 16th until salmon season's end in September. Make Hay on Wye whilst the sun still shines....

PS - Off the river rather longer - through the entire salmon season (it used to begin in February or March when spring salmon ran the Wye) and possibly all-year round: with salmon spawning in huge numbers in the autumn and winter, landowners and fisheries would see a cheap coarse-fishing ticket as a backdoor for poachers and so close the river to everyone; they could afford to, with Season Salmon Rods on their fisheries once again commanding hundreds and thousands of £s.

Last edited:
On the Severn last Friday, (Stanley Stretch-Bridgnorth) on arrival saw a guy walk up to the Barn at Coombys farm. Making our way down the river we saw 2 rods out on bite alarms! Could only have been this guys rods, he was still in the barn some 50+ meters away. :mad::mad: absolutely disgusting to see and he should be utterly ashamed of himself.

On the Severn last Friday, (Stanley Stretch-Bridgnorth) on arrival saw a guy walk up to the Barn at Coombys farm. Making our way down the river we saw 2 rods out on bite alarms! Could only have been this guys rods, he was still in the barn some 50+ meters away. :mad::mad: absolutely disgusting to see and he should be utterly ashamed of himself.

The other thing is about these unattended rods they are a trip hazard ;)
amongst other things the rods could get broken..... you know what i mean :rolleyes:

Ian.

I prefer to use a float for all my Barbel fishing, so to arrive and deliberatly set up ...................................BUZZERS

I'm with Paul Kill them....Kill them ALL!

On my stretch people fishing into snags! Basically swims that are 8 x 8 ft and blocked on all sides by fallen trees. Last year it became the norm which I found disappointing and I lost count of the guys saying how many they had lost. Upstream of these snags is a large bowl shaped bay with a gravel bottom and I myself caught several good fish from it. With a bit of patience they do come out and fishing right into the holding area just makes them more spooky. Its just a catch at all costs mentality which I have no time for, we all get a bit desperate sometimes but it can get to be a bit beyond a joke at times. All I can say is just think about the costs from losing fish to losing fishing rights once there gone then what.

Just for the record, I fish with buzzers, I fish late and often get dozy, in fact just the other night the alarm went on my 4th rod and I rolled over but it was too chilly to get out of my sleeping bag so I though sod it and went back to sleep ;)

Just for the record, I fish with buzzers, I fish late and often get dozy, in fact just the other night the alarm went on my 4th rod and I rolled over but it was too chilly to get out of my sleeping bag so I though sod it and went back to sleep ;)

YOUR BANNED !!!!!! :p

The Chairman on Friday

Of course, if you really wish to be banned, banned so bad that people cross the river to get to you and the street to avoid you, you carry one of these (the Lash On) -

Gaff%202.jpg

As ever,

B.B.

Only using four rods now Ian, not the usual six ?

Back