• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone else getting excited?!!!!

Slugs. Had quite a few cracking chub on the Pats using slugs.
A good heavy bait you can freeline under overhangs.
Always amazed when sometimes you would miss a gentle tap and the slug would come back like a mangled skin.

Never had a chub on slug yet, but it's always been a real 'Mr. Crabtree' type experience that i want to to tick off. There's so many crawling all over on an evening on the banks of the Nidd, literally all over my gear, that i always try a couple of casts with slugs as a bait rotation, but no luck yet.

I'll have to try up stream freelining them down the willows, and with fluouro.

I am terrified of slugs - how weird?
As a kid owned tarantulas, snakes, scorpions and no issues but slugs - nope. No matter how good a bait don't think I could do it.
Not wanting to rake old coals about the pros and cons of a closed season, but isn't it great to be excited and personally a bit of abstinence is good for me as I would burn out if I had 365 access.
I've been climbing the walls for 3 months, spent hours in my man-cave like a lost lamb, did a bit of commercial fishing but had to force myself.
Don't care about the river, weather, how busy it will or won't be, I'll be out at every opportunity until mid-March and life is good

Back