• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone else getting excited?!!!!

Although I usually wait a week or so after the 16th to try the river, this year I have a totally different plan.
I have been lucky enough to be invited to fish a private lake, that holds some really big fish,it is a " guided " session, it is virtually unfished and has been so for a long number of years , so my anticipation is almost at fever pitch, the lake has some really untapped potential, as it is known to hold shall we say potential record breakers , Tench, Carp, Roach..etc etc..

Knowing my track record I will probably blank as there is no opportunity to pre bait, or indeed to have a pre session look at the lake,it is more than likeley a once in a lifetime opportunity, so all I can do is to grasp the opportunity with both hands.

To get back to reality I have a week on a private stretch of the Wye in Sept, so that is my second big opportunity this
year . I also plan a few visitis to the Trent, and have several sea angling trips booked as well.

Its going to be an interesting year.

David.

If this rain keeps up you will be needing big smelly baits..... it will be a novelty fishing floodwater conditions in the first week

How i spent my youth Joe, Slugging for Chub, telescopic rod and tackle in pockets and a net. I met top chub slug angler Charlie Landells on the Avon at Britford with my dad, when i was about 10 over 45years ago. Watched him catch chub first cast from almost every swim. Caught me and a mate Pete hundreds of chub every year as youngsters. Instant and very efficient when time is limited and free which when your a kid was the most important aspect. Charlie used to breed slugs in melons, talk about dedication.

I was told if you fed slugs melons, they explode ? :eek:

Although I usually wait a week or so after the 16th to try the river, this year I have a totally different plan.
I have been lucky enough to be invited to fish a private lake, that holds some really big fish,it is a " guided " session, it is virtually unfished and has been so for a long number of years , so my anticipation is almost at fever pitch, the lake has some really untapped potential, as it is known to hold shall we say potential record breakers , Tench, Carp, Roach..etc etc..

Knowing my track record I will probably blank as there is no opportunity to pre bait, or indeed to have a pre session look at the lake,it is more than likeley a once in a lifetime opportunity, so all I can do is to grasp the opportunity with both hands.

To get back to reality I have a week on a private stretch of the Wye in Sept, so that is my second big opportunity this
year . I also plan a few visitis to the Trent, and have several sea angling trips booked as well.

Its going to be an interesting year.

David.

Hi David, if any of your sea fishing trips are to the Mersey, let me know, and i'll pop along and say hello. A fresh tea/coffee and a hot pie/pasty. 🙂👍

Charlie had a feature in one of the Angling mags and i remember they showed a slug of monster proportions so probably not Derek . Charlie bred slugs and had his system down to an exact science.President of the Chub study group sadly passed back in 2009.

Attachments

• mt creasote.jpg
    mt creasote.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Stocking up on Lob worms at the moment from the wet lawns at night , a spot of Tope fishing next week should stand me in good staid for a mid week barbel session in a couple of weeks , no drought this year hopefully !

What are Wye anglers predicting the weather will do for Sunday? Float rod can stay at home I guess
Now there's an idea for any techie/statistician/probability theory genius on here (??:eek:??) Now if someone could take all the info from www.gaugemap.co.uk and combine that data with data from the UK meteorology centre (www.metoffice.gov.uk) .... they could then write an extrapolation program/App that will tell us the river levels for the next two weeks! Yeeeeeeh!
Any takers? :rolleyes:

I'm not able to get out on the 16th or 17th due to family and work commitments (respectively), so it's a Tuesday 18th start on the Bristol Avon for me and the father in law. Forecast for round here is muggy and overcast with a light breeze, so the combo of that and the extra water pushing through at the moment should, hopefully, make it a day with bags of potential.

Course, the reality will probs be that we'll both blank our tits off...

Hi David, if any of your sea fishing trips are to the Mersey, let me know, and i'll pop along and say hello. A fresh tea/coffee and a hot pie/pasty. 🙂👍

Hi Dereck , looking at the reports, Smoothhound are featuring as far up the river as the Tunnel Vents, so there is a distinct possibility that I will be across sometime soon, either there or Perch Rock. Will certainoy give you a nod when .

David

I get some massive slugs in my garden, I wouldn’t be able to hook one though
Slugs ! ... well a couple of years back, i had just poured myself a cup of coffee from my flask, which as i drank it i thought tasted unusually creamy !!!! , i had poured very hot coffee onto a slug that had crawled into my cup, it must have burst it, I realised what i had just drank when the now empty skin went into my mouth which i removed with my fingers, turning my head torch on was when i realised what it was ... i religiously check my cup now !

I'll be on the Thames all season, a new club ticket, and a couple of other stretches i've got in mind !

Slugs ! ... well a couple of years back, i had just poured myself a cup of coffee from my flask, which as i drank it i thought tasted unusually creamy !!!! , i had poured very hot coffee onto a slug that had crawled into my cup, it must have burst it, I realised what i had just drank when the now empty skin went into my mouth which i removed with my fingers, turning my head torch on was when i realised what it was ... i religiously check my cup now !
That made me properly laugh out loud! Maybe an option for the lactose intolerant?

Back