• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone else getting excited?!!!!

Jon Kennard

Couldn't resist posting this. Man im getting super excited not living close to the wye I'm only able to get a few trips in each season. I've got 4 days booked up with a good mate. I might be wrong but I'm thinking river levels and conditions could potentially look very good if weather continues as is.
Where are you all spending the glorious 16th?

Good luck on the Wye, Jon. It will probably be the usual slow start to the season though, as you say, the recent rain might help. I'll be having a dabble on the upper Trent with a couple of friends. Ditching the rucksack this season for a Fox tackle belt and just purchased a JRC stealth chair (which seems to weigh practically nothing - though 3kg, in reality), so rather than waiting for the barbel to come to me I plan to be much more proactive.

Last edited:
Thanks rich sounds like a good plan. I do like the idea of roving, I'm trying to keep things to a minimal with regards kit but not always that easy. Im hoping conditions will dictate tactics a bit. A bit nervous as a few comments going around about the Wye possibly being unfishable!!!! I really hope not or I'll have melt down.

Thanks gents, in answer rich just what another guy was saying on Facebook page. Im monitoring levels and rain etc but was thinking it could potentially be good conditions for the start or at least first few days of the season. Let's see what happens a different approach to a flooded river but equally simplifies things on a level to

I'm super excited lol
I have rain due on and off most of the week too, so hoping the Thames will start to flow a little in time for the start

Its the first season for years where I have sorted my gear out prior to the opening day!! Normally its the week after

Not looking forward to the start because its usually busy, and the tench fishing has been good. I am looking forward to a new stretch of river i opened up with plenty of hard graft, to fishing for my club. Its not been fished for many years and was like a jungle because of the large numbers of trees that blocked the path and stream (there are still plenty in the water).Thirty years ago there were good Barbel there but its a wilderness. Preliminary fishing by a few, saw lots of perch and pike,bream to double figures, chub to 6 1/2lb and broken lines (not mine). I only fished it for a morning on the float and had 3 good chub.This season its hopefully all in for some uncaught Barbel,carp and chub close to London and secluded, who knows what it will bring

Last edited:
I am excited about starting on a new river for me. I have done lots of mooching about and plotting and even saw some barbel last time I visited. Hopefully the rain will happen as predicted during the course of this week to give it a clean through and to get the weirs flowing again. Pretty sure about where my first cast will be but this could all change if the rain is substantial. Best of all I have a free pass for Sunday night :)
Good luck to all.

It’s not like the rivers don’t need it. Should hopefully liven things up :)

On the water I'm on the Tench are still a bit way from spawning it would appear so unless we get a sudden heatwave they will keep me occupied for a few more weeks, work/family commitments make it difficult for me to get across to Trent etc until Aug, but I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some slugging for tench on the Dane. Packet of hooks, a small tub of swan-shot, few slugs and I'm away. Fishing at its simplest, great fun when the suns out.

How i spent my youth Joe, Slugging for Chub, telescopic rod and tackle in pockets and a net. I met top chub slug angler Charlie Landells on the Avon at Britford with my dad, when i was about 10 over 45years ago. Watched him catch chub first cast from almost every swim. Caught me and a mate Pete hundreds of chub every year as youngsters. Instant and very efficient when time is limited and free which when your a kid was the most important aspect. Charlie used to breed slugs in melons, talk about dedication.

I get some massive slugs in my garden, I wouldn’t be able to hook one though

Back