• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anybody stopped fishing?

Gwyn

All the river levels are taken from the lowest point above sea level on the UK mainland which I believe is a beach in Cornwall, that's why they are all different. As you say if you pick one you can tell if the river is rising or falling.

Phil, I know nothing about that. I just go on the numbers on the gauge in relation to the flow and conditions of each swim.
And it's now down from .95 to .89 since that post of mine.
So it's still dropping. Rather quickly. But I've seen it far lower.

Yes. Wonderful rain steady drizzle.

Need a heavy downpour, with possibly some heavy thunderstorms from Wales downstream to add some decent oxygen.
Saying thats a fair possibiliy friday at the moment.

Gavin
Yes that's right but that's a fixed reference point and has nothing to do with the level of water in the river. If you look at the article in the link

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/RLOI_FAQs_Mar2015.pdf

you'll see that levels in the graphs are plotted against local datum. My local river alder Mirfield currently has a depth of 0.23m but the local datum is 45.35m. The river level is relative to that. The river level further downstream at Methley is 1.05m but the local datum is much lower at 9.87m. That make sense?

The point is that all the datums are taken from the UK datum point in Cornwall and then monitoring stations in the area vary from the local datum point. We have the same variation down here where 2 monitoring stations on the Hampshire Avon at Fordingbridge have different readings.

sent a well known guy off the middle severn a message on instergram today about his constant pics with small barbel .saying why are you still barbel fishing when all respectable are arnt when the river is on its ar$E . I got blocked by him . catch at all costs for sponcers . shocking some anglers .

sent a well known guy off the middle severn a message on instergram today about his constant pics with small barbel .saying why are you still barbel fishing when all respectable are arnt when the river is on its ar$E . I got blocked by him . catch at all costs for sponcers . shocking some anglers .
If it's who I think it is.. the bloke is a shyster, a liar, a crook, and he don't give a flying F about the fish...he's just after fame, and that's all he's been after since the 60's/70's. Shame (and a pox) on him.
Sorry to all of you who are a fan :eek:

If it's who I think it is.. the bloke is a shyster, a liar, a crook, and he don't give a flying F about the fish...he's just after fame, and that's all he's been after since the 60's/70's. Shame (and a pox) on him.
Sorry to all of you who are a fan :eek:
You can't just leave it there Terry,who is it?

Seriously guys, no names please, it won't be good for BFW !!!

Paragraph 6 of your link explains it. Sorry but I can't explain it better, only that the AOD figure becomes less as a river reaches sea level. In your example if Mirfield datum was mAOD then it would show a river level of 45.58m which is a bit daft and why a local datum is used. It would follow that the difference in height between Mirfield and Methney is around 35m to account for the datum difference.
Gavin, that's exactly right. My point is that for any single location both the local datum and the national datum are fixed points. The only variable is the river level. Agreed?

Last edited:
There’s been a definite temperature shift the last few days down here. We’ve dropped from 30-31 right down to the mid 20s. This morning I had condensation on the van windows and it was 14c. This evening that sticky air has dropped and it’s quite pleasant.
According to the Knapp mill data the Avon is dropping in temperature slowly. From what I understand though there’s more heat on its way this weekend.

Back