• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anybody stopped fishing?

Just checked and the river gauge at Ross on Wye is .17, exactly the same as it was when I fished it last year, same week.

Just checked and the river gauge at Ross on Wye is .17, exactly the same as it was when I fished it last year, same week.

Now that's another problem. The gauge I use at Monmouth is at .95.
There is no standardisation. But I've seen my gauge down to .82 and we still had a good flow and no problems.

Of course, a rising and falling river will always register differently on two gauges so far apart, but the Wye is definitely not rising.

This weather will break at some point. We'll get a flush through eventually. Until then, it boils down to choice of stretch and common sense. Which guests to the Wye cannot comprehend.

There is no standardisation. But I've seen my gauge down to .82 and we still had a good flow and no problems.

Of course, a rising and falling river will always register differently on two gauges so far apart, but the Wye is definitely not rising.

This weather will break at some point. We'll get a flush through eventually. Until then, it boils down to choice of stretch and common sense. Which guests to the Wye cannot comprehend.

Sorry Gwyn, but i beg to differ. I consider myself as a guest to the Wye, as i only manage 2 or 3 trips a year. But i WOULD NEVER, put my trips before the fish's welfare, if that means, i can't fish for one reason or another on arrival, such as this extreme weather, then so be it. Not ALL guests are i must fish at all costs. Even though, for me, its a very long round trip. I will always take the advice of people with more knowledge/experience, than myself, from good people, just like yourself. Thats why i love this forum so much. You can learn so much more than you can from one of the weekly/monthly rag mags on sale in the newsagents. With famous name sponsored anglers ( cough ), fishing no matter what, ( cough ) to get a fish ( cough ) just to get their next 6 months of free bait. Just cos were guests, doesn't mean we don't care. So please, don't tar us all with the same brush. :):):)

Last edited:
I look at it this way . The ONLY water going in to the majority of our rivers at the moment is treated sewage , as far as I am aware this discharge is not known for it's high oxygen content ....

Last edited:
Yes a difficult one this.

Am more concerned with anglers not barbel fishing ( so not to be demonised) but happily trotting with match tackle.......and suprisingly catching barbel after a protacted fight. They are heavy on maggots and corn st the moment.

All I can offer is 10 days ago I caught 5 on the Wye on light chub gear and all fought well and kicked in the net hard well before release.

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather. A thunderstorm or two could make a big difference to the river situation.

With a number of members coming to the Fish In at end of month and having committed two full days exclusive stretch use and associated cost, I will talk to the owner on her return Saturday to see the options available, if any!

Whilst I wouldn't fish for barbel on the Lower Severn as it looks almost stagnant, the Warks Avon had a decent flow and the chub fought really well.

Fingers x for rain.

Incidentily what view are Wye and Usk taking on all their pre booked stretches? Any one know.

the weathers not looking good for the rest of the month, just looking at long term forecasts they are all showing high temperatures with very little rain...hope they have it wrong.

Yes a difficult one this.

Am more concerned with anglers not barbel fishing ( so not to be demonised) but happily trotting with match tackle.......and suprisingly catching barbel after a protacted fight. They are heavy on maggots and corn st the moment.

All I can offer is 10 days ago I caught 5 on the Wye on light chub gear and all fought well and kicked in the net hard well before release.

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather. A thunderstorm or two could make a big difference to the river situation.

With a number of members coming to the Fish In at end of month and having committed two full days exclusive stretch use and associated cost, I will talk to the owner on her return Saturday to see the options available, if any!

Whilst I wouldn't fish for barbel on the Lower Severn as it looks almost stagnant, the Warks Avon had a decent flow and the chub fought really well.

Fingers x for rain.

Incidentily what view are Wye and Usk taking on all their pre booked stretches? Any one know.
From the' Horses Mouth' Graham, they said that because they don't own stretches they can only advise Landowners not to continue with fishing at the moment. But only if the Landowners inquire.
Which is I feel a 'cop out'.

True Phil but last year just before the start of the season the river had been up and down at around 1m - not so this year it has been below 0.5m and falling since May 5th - so 9 weeks like this as opposed 4 last year, with the corresponding knock on effect.

Quite a lot of rain forecast Ross way
With thunderstorms and a day of downpours as well as ocassional rain over next two weeks.
Hope so!

Gwyn

All the river levels are taken from the lowest point above sea level on the UK mainland which I believe is a beach in Cornwall, that's why they are all different. As you say if you pick one you can tell if the river is rising or falling.

Gwyn

All the river levels are taken from the lowest point above sea level on the UK mainland which I believe is a beach in Cornwall, that's why they are all different. As you say if you pick one you can tell if the river is rising or falling.
Hi Phil
Sorry but I don't see how that can be right. As an example, the current level on the Swale at Myton is 0.22m. That's the depth of water in the river at the measuring station. If it bears any relation to the level of a beach in Cornwall then I'm afraid there's far more serious things to worry about than tonight's result or Brexit :)

Angus, click on 'key information' and all is revealed! Phil is correct, Newlyn is the datum point but local stations have their own datum relative to Newlyn.

Angus, click on 'key information' and all is revealed! Phil is correct, Newlyn is the datum point but local stations have their own datum relative to Newlyn.
Gavin
Yes that's right but that's a fixed reference point and has nothing to do with the level of water in the river. If you look at the article in the link

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/RLOI_FAQs_Mar2015.pdf

you'll see that levels in the graphs are plotted against local datum. My local river alder Mirfield currently has a depth of 0.23m but the local datum is 45.35m. The river level is relative to that. The river level further downstream at Methley is 1.05m but the local datum is much lower at 9.87m. That make sense?

Paragraph 6 of your link explains it. Sorry but I can't explain it better, only that the AOD figure becomes less as a river reaches sea level. In your example if Mirfield datum was mAOD then it would show a river level of 45.58m which is a bit daft and why a local datum is used. It would follow that the difference in height between Mirfield and Methney is around 35m to account for the datum difference.

Sorry Gwyn, but i beg to differ. I consider myself as a guest to the Wye, as i only manage 2 or 3 trips a year. But i WOULD NEVER, put my trips before the fish's welfare, if that means, i can't fish for one reason or another on arrival, such as this extreme weather, then so be it. Not ALL guests are i must fish at all costs. Even though, for me, its a very long round trip. I will always take the advice of people with more knowledge/experience, than myself, from good people, just like yourself. Thats why i love this forum so much. You can learn so much more than you can from one of the weekly/monthly rag mags on sale in the newsagents. With famous name sponsored anglers ( cough ), fishing no matter what, ( cough ) to get a fish ( cough ) just to get their next 6 months of free bait. Just cos were guests, doesn't mean we don't care. So please, don't tar us all with the same brush. :):):)

I am very sorry if I came across that way, not my intention at all.

I was trying to point out that occasional visitors to the Wye who may have fished a slower stretch in normal conditions may well think that this weather renders the Wye unfishable. Which is simply not the case.

There are stretches and certain swims I have written off myself. It is most certainly not me first, barbel second.

I was just trying to highlight the perils of a one track attitude.

I know the Wye like the back of my hand. A visitor does not. So when someone who rarely fishes it states that I should stop fishing because their local venue is unsuited in these conditions, that's what annoys me.

Annoys me even more when they go on to state they'll fish for other species. If it's too hot and oxygen levels are too low for barbel - it's too hot and oxygen levels are too low for anything else too.

I sincerely apologise if I caused offence, that was not my intention.

Back