• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another pb

It was a tongue in cheek comment ref the bream Tim 😁. I’ve never had a really big one but tend to find they turn up at the most inconvenient of times and make an absolute mess of everything.
No disrespect to bream anglers intended 👍🏻

Lovely fish, well done.

P.S. Really big bream are impressive fish IMHO.
Big bream caught by design are awesome (IMHO!) and although seem plentiful nowadays are still a reasonably rare fish. I’ve had plenty of nuisance carp (to 32lb) whilst fishing for them! Would have a 13lb Bream over a 30lb carp any day of the year!!

Corking barbel Richard, well done. How did the new reel cope ?
Hey Mark. The pin was great but is certainly better now than it was at the time simply due to being run in much better since. It’s just incredibly free, smooth and really great to trot a float with.
It performed well considering that was its first outing. Certainly a fish like that contributed very well to the run in process and had their been any weak points, that would have definitely been the point they come to light.

Those nene barbel put a tremendous amount of pressure on the gear when heading for short range snags and at that size while they don’t move as fast as the smaller ones, they just feel impossible to stop and turn when they build up momentum.

time to throw a load of (barbel) blanks into the place now before the float dips again. Next step…… float caught 15lb 😁

Just catching up with this thread, Rich, which has become progressively incredible. Thought I was reading about one pb, but no, three. And the last one (my guess, over 13lb 5oz 🤷‍♂️) caught on a 'rookie' Milltackle pin. Fabulous! Very well done, Sir.

Just catching up with this thread, Rich, which has become progressively incredible. Thought I was reading about one pb, but no, three. And the last one (my guess, over 13lb 5oz 🤷‍♂️) caught on a 'rookie' Milltackle pin. Fabulous! Very well done, Sir.
Cheers Rich. Yes I still can’t quite believe how lucky I’ve been really. I did mention the weight of the last one somewhere when asked
It went 14lb 11oz.

My step dad has also caught it this season at 14lb 7oz and I know of 1 more case not too long ago where she was 14lb 9oz.

Not the brightest spark in the river by any means but she soon wises up with a size 8 hooped through the bottom lip.

Back