• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another pb

Well done Richard, stunning.

well done Richard. why not class it a PB, even if caught on "Wrong tackle". Doesn't that only apply if using heavy tackle for say carp and catching a big roach or fishing for barbel on what many use on big rivers (ie 21/2lb tc rods and 15lb plus line !!!) and catching a chub. You were doing the other way round. A great capture to a good angler

well done Richard. why not class it a PB, even if caught on "Wrong tackle". Doesn't that only apply if using heavy tackle for say carp and catching a big roach or fishing for barbel on what many use on big rivers (ie 21/2lb tc rods and 15lb plus line !!!) and catching a chub. You were doing the other way round. A great capture to a good angler
Hi Paul.
While it certainly wasn’t expected or targeted and for that particular river the tackle did feel rather light to play such a fish, it actually wasn’t caught on “wrong tackle”
I don’t own or probably wouldn’t use anything any stronger if I was float fishing with barbel in mind, it was the venue and that particular swim that made that catch more difficult rather than the species.
Had I spent the day on the middle Trent, the tackle would have been exactly the same and landing that fish a whole lot more of a pleasant experience simply due to the space and lack of snags around.

If anything I was over gunned for my target species with 8lb line and a powerful float rod for 4-5lb chub. Something I wouldn’t have considered had it been winter time. But at this time of year the river bed is rammed with cabbages reeds and Lilly pads and those naughty chub don’t hesitate to head straight for them.
As I’ve since found out……. The barbel find them just as easily too 😂

Now it’s just getting silly.

What I’m about to write sounds bloody ridiculous to me so I really do apologize to you chaps but no word of a lie it’s absolutely truthful.

So as you know or maybe you don’t I’ve just built my own Garry mills centre pin and Today was the day of its very first outing.

No expectations because all I wanted to do was get some oil ran through it and get it bedded in. Get familiar with it and see what it’s like to cast and hopefully put a couple chub on the bank or maybe a barbel if I’m lucky. Again no expectations.
So it casts beautifully, runs nice even on a slow paced very low nene and it put a couple of nice average size chub on the bank.

Happy days!
IMG_6530.jpeg

i can’t of been there an hour and while barbel on the float can be a viable target on the nene as I’ve caught a couple, and of course I hope for one every time I go, i wasn’t expecting to be busting any float caught PB’s especially on the reels first day out. Nothing could have prepared me for this.
I honestly thought the float rod was going to explode when I was leaning into this to try keep it out the snags.
I’ll leave you to guess the weight for now but this big girl is a known nene fish. First time I’ve ever known her to come out on a float rig though.

Smashed the float pb again 😳
This season really is proving to be one of the best.
IMG_6533.jpeg
IMG_6534.jpeg

IMG_6540.jpeg

Last edited:
Right place, right time, well done 😎.
So, we know it's gott'a be heavier than 13.5, so between 13.5 and 14lb ?
cheers. I’ve thrown in a lot of hours to get something that big on the float out of there. Those lazy big girls tend to not fuss with chasing moving baits as much and usually come out in the dark to an angler throwing out a couple of boilies.

It’s a known nene fish that cruises the 3 syndicate stretches.

Today she weighs 14,11

Back