• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another pb

Well……It gets better.
Spot of trotting this morning this time a local one on the river nene. Target definitely chub with them out numbering the barbel at hundreds to 1
In all my years of fishing the nene I’ve only ever hooked 3 barbel on the float and only ever landed one of them.
1 pulled out
1 snapped
1 landed about 9lb.
So chances are fairly remote

Going well, had a dozen or so chub to good sizes and they don’t half give you a cracking scrap in summer. Every one charged for the snags and doubled the rod right over.

then the float dips and I hit something which brings a profanity straight out of my mouth. No head shakes just rock solid and starts to make its way up stream

The nene is a small river and it’s full of cabbages and snags. Over hanging trees, reeds and in this swim a fallen tree that crosses more than half the river’s width. There is no room for pissing about.

To be fair i should not of landed this fish. It snagged me 4 times, beat the living daylights out of both me and my poor tackle and yet I still managed to squeeze it into an undersized unsuitable net after 20 minutes of tug n war.
On my barbel gear (torrix 1.75 and 0.35 line) it would of been over inside 2 minutes but on my stepped up summer chub fishing float gear (15ft free spirit rod and 0.23 line) it wasn’t particularly fun, dealing with this animal surrounded by snags, cabbages and moored boats.

Enough winging from me now as it was worth every single hair I pulled out.
New float caught pb again and this time on a river much closer to my heart. 13lb 5oz
IMG_6180.jpeg
IMG_6192.jpeg
IMG_6193.jpeg
IMG_6202.jpeg

Well……It gets better.
Spot of trotting this morning this time a local one on the river nene. Target definitely chub with them out numbering the barbel at hundreds to 1
In all my years of fishing the nene I’ve only ever hooked 3 barbel on the float and only ever landed one of them.
1 pulled out
1 snapped
1 landed about 9lb.

Going well, had a dozen or so chub to good sizes and they don’t half give you a cracking scrap in summer. Every one charged for the snags and doubled the rod right over.

then the float dips and I hit something which brings a profanity straight out of my mouth. No head shakes just rock solid and starts to make its way up stream

The nene is a small river and it’s full of cabbages and snags. Over hanging trees, reeds and in this swim a fallen tree that crosses more than half the river’s width. There is no room for pissing about.

To be fair i should not of landed this fish. It snagged me 4 times, beat the living daylights out of both me and my poor tackle and yet I still managed to squeeze it into an undersized unsuitable net after 20 minutes of tug n war.
On my barbel gear (torrix 1.75 and 0.35 line) it would of been over inside 2 minutes but on my stepped up summer chub fishing float gear (15ft free spirit rod and 0.23 line) it wasn’t particularly fun, dealing with this animal surrounded by snags, cabbages and moored boats.

New float caught pb again and this time on a river much closer to my heart. 13lb 5oz View attachment 31236View attachment 31237View attachment 31238View attachment 31239
absolute beauty

Well……It gets better.
1 pulled out
1 snapped
1 landed about 9lb.

New float caught pb again and this time on a river much closer to my heart. 13lb 5oz View attachment 31236View attachment 31237View attachment 31238View attachment 31239
Superb, you won’t be repeating that in a while….gotta be worth a 100 Tent fish

Well……It gets better.
1 pulled out
1 snapped
1 landed about 9lb.

absolutely brilliant. great skills Richard .

Well……It gets better.
1 pulled out
1 snapped
1 landed about 9lb.

Stunning. What a catch Rich.
Well done.

Congrats Richard, well done, bet you felt great after catching it 🙂.
I had my two largest/heaviest float caught barbel on .24 line also.

The line I used was sensor, what was the line you used?.... just interested is all, i'm not after buying any.

Congrats Richard, well done, bet you felt great after catching it 🙂.
I had my two largest/heaviest float caught barbel on .24 line also.

The line I used was sensor, what was the line you used?.... just interested is all, i'm not after buying any.
8lb glide

Back