• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another pb

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
For me personal bests don’t necessarily just mean the biggest of a certain species but they can also mean biggest of a certain species caught in a certain way or on a certain method.

Also to make it clear I don’t count personal bests that are not caught by design…. Ie chub on barbel gear, perch on pike gear, bream on any gear 😂 etc etc

So In this case a barbel weighing a colossal 12lb 14oz. Big fish I won’t disagree but I’ve caught afew bigger…….. however this is probably the most special and rewarding barbel I’ve ever caught as it’s the biggest I’ve had trotting a float.

Big thanks to @John Newman for taking me to this particular private venue. John is an absolute master with a float and pin and it’s always a pleasure to fish in his presence and while I didn’t catch lots of fish the odd few I did get were rather special especially the big girl just a meal away from that magic 13.

Makes up big time for a tough start to my barbel season.

The best of them below 😎
5c5f90b9-ef65-4576-9f0f-02889c61ecaa.jpeg
IMG_5962.jpeg
IMG_5943.jpeg

Last edited:
Lovely fish, well done.

P.S. Really big bream are impressive fish IMHO.
It was a tongue in cheek comment ref the bream Tim 😁. I’ve never had a really big one but tend to find they turn up at the most inconvenient of times and make an absolute mess of everything.
No disrespect to bream anglers intended 👍🏻

No, nothing wrong with that reel, just someone bought it while I was hesitated. Great reel for trotting.
Mines been “Rich’d” 😂 it’s not like other ones I’ve taken the tolerances or play where the spool has freedom to move up and down and tightened them to their absolute maximum before it hinders any freedom in movement.
It used to be about 0.11mm it’s now 0.03mm roughly as a 0.08mm shim has been placed under the spool to take it even tighter on the tolerance.
I’ve shimmed out the excess play in the handles too so they have around 0.5mm of play in them. The result is a completely different reel altogether. It’s incredibly rigid, more free, zero free play to the hand, zero vibration, less noise. It’s basically an exceptionally well toleranced piece of engineering now rather than just very good.
Had new Japanese ezo bearings too as the back one was shot from brand new.

For me personal bests don’t necessarily just mean the biggest of a certain species but they can also mean biggest of a certain species caught in a certain way or on a certain method.

Also to make it clear I don’t count personal bests that are not caught by design…. Ie chub on barbel gear, perch on pike gear, bream on any gear 😂 etc etc

So In this case a barbel weighing a colossal 12lb 14oz. Big fish I won’t disagree but I’ve caught afew bigger…….. however this is probably the most special and rewarding barbel I’ve ever caught as it’s the biggest I’ve had trotting a float.

Big thanks to @John Newman for taking me to this particular private venue. John is an absolute master with a float and pin and it’s always a pleasure to fish in his presence and while I didn’t catch lots of fish the odd few I did get were rather special especially the big girl just a meal away from that magic 13.

Makes up big time for a tough start to my barbel season.

The best of them below 😎View attachment 30919View attachment 30920View attachment 30921
Well done mate! 😊👍

Back