• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling Trust

Well I suppose the government are still talking to employers and unions. At least I hope they are. I am assuming we will have at least another 2-3 weeks of lockdown anyway. They will want to see how other countries to and how contact tracing goes in the IOW surely? After all, we are now the worst affected nation in Europe in terms of deaths.😣

Well I suppose the government are still talking to employers and unions. At least I hope they are. I am assuming we will have at least another 2-3 weeks of lockdown anyway. They will want to see how other countries to and how contact tracing goes in the IOW surely? After all, we are now the worst affected nation in Europe in terms of deaths.😣

Not death per head of population which is a better measure surely?

I’m sure we’ve all seen signs that people are beginning to get tired of the measures. We’ve all got anecdotal evidence of that, there was some pretty bizarre stuff going on in my local park at the weekend. The government will hopefully, be mindful of the potential for a complete backlash against lockdown, especially when it’s being relaxed elsewhere. They won’t want to be policing huge numbers of people so you’d imagine they will keep us onside by relaxing measures that will have the most impact on people’s happiness with the minimum potential spread of risk. Beauty salons, nail bars and hairdressers seem to be among the first to open elsewhere, I can’t see why but it must matter to a lot of people.

You’d hope the government thinks that anglers can be trusted to follow the guidance, it does seem like a way of getting lots of people a break without the need for congregating in numbers. A very specific group of people of course.

Don’t normally fish the close season but this year was going to take my 5 year old nephew on his first ever fishing trip to catch a few roach and perch he was so excited about it... I reckon there’s another angler waiting in the wings there ...so a bit disappointed but we’ll get there in the end

Not death per head of population which is a better measure surely?

I’m sure we’ve all seen signs that people are beginning to get tired of the measures. We’ve all got anecdotal evidence of that, there was some pretty bizarre stuff going on in my local park at the weekend. The government will hopefully, be mindful of the potential for a complete backlash against lockdown, especially when it’s being relaxed elsewhere. They won’t want to be policing huge numbers of people so you’d imagine they will keep us onside by relaxing measures that will have the most impact on people’s happiness with the minimum potential spread of risk. Beauty salons, nail bars and hairdressers seem to be among the first to open elsewhere, I can’t see why but it must matter to a lot of people.

You’d hope the government thinks that anglers can be trusted to follow the guidance, it does seem like a way of getting lots of people a break without the need for congregating in numbers. A very specific group of people of course.

Undoubtedly the Govt has some tough decisions to make. Looking at where we are with things which is seemingly at the start of a plateau, and worh already pretty grim stats e.g. the country with the fourth highest deaths per capita of population (ignoring Andorra and San Marino), I would not be surprised if any decision on relaxation measures is deferred for another few weeks.

I don't think the PM will wish to compound the mistakes the Govt has made, so I suspect they will err on the side of caution.

We don't compare at all well with Germany on the stats front...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200505-143851_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200505-143851_Chrome.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 193
Undoubtedly the Govt has some tough decisions to make. Looking at where we are with things which is seemingly at the start of a plateau, and worh already pretty grim stats e.g. the country with the fourth highest deaths per capita of population (ignoring Andorra and San Marino), I would not be surprised if any decision on relaxation measures is deferred for another few weeks.

I don't think the PM will wish to compound the mistakes the Govt has made, so I suspect they will err on the side of caution.

We don't compare at all well with Germany on the stats front...

Hardly anybody does, and it’s not all down to great planning, they were lucky that they have a lot of facilities able to manufacture tests very quickly and so were able to mass test very early on.

If they let us sit on our arses outside for hours, then others will wonder why they can't do the same down the local park.

Exactly. people just need to sit tight, and see the bigger picture. I’m obsessed with fishing as much as anyone, and thought that this would be a lovely spring/summer fishing, especially as I was in isolation all of last summer and autumn being treated for cancer and I’m 33.
I’d like to think everyone will be sensible if fishing is reintroduced. I won’t hold my breath to peoples sensibility. When you’re laying awake every night planning your funeral as I was, you certainly realise your health is everything. Fishing ain’t going anywhere, be patient.

My money would be some sort of relaxation come early June. So no real impact on the river fishing season, and the tenchfishers amongst us that are fishing deeper gravel pits might get a week or two in before spawning kicks off.

I kind of get what marks saying the whole of the media has an alternative agenda and it’s difficult who to believe at the moment ... and the bbc are one of the worst ..take the panorama programme on ppe every single member of the nhs they interviewed was a labour activist ... not that hard to spot really with things like Facebook all that public posturing they gave themselves away..... as someone else said the tv licence should be abolished.... why should I give money to an organisation that protects peadophiles

there is no free speech anymore any one who sticks they’re head above the parapet is instantly shut down or removed from Facebook/ YouTube etc etc and that’s why the world is full of fake news
I don't get what Mark's saying at all! It borders on paranoia I'm afraid and is based on that flawed logic that flat earthers use. And if reading it on what appears to be a Wikipedia page seems to be a qualifier, then anyone can offer substance to anything! I remember watching Sports Personality trying to figure when Andy Murray had won it previously...

Screenshot_2015-12-20-21-13-01[1077].png

I'm not sure Cliff Richard would agree that the BBC protects paedophiles either!
Like a lot of things, fake news seems to be a modern phenomenon, driven I think by people with a rather poor education and lacking in any objectivity, balance and responsibility to the truth. Has anyone seen a film Called Idiocracy?

Anyway, kind of back on track, and as a bit of an aside question, who would be happy to see horse racing, F1 and football back on their screens, albeit behind closed doors, but not be allowed to visit their favourite lake at this time of year to fling some fluff or otherwise?
Kind regards
Damian

Probably Salmon anglers Andrew.
Neil, first, they should not be fishing at the moment, second the description "3 idiots chucking big green lures and drinking beer" which was what I was told does not fit with salmon anglers. They were above the weir opposite the Ham not on Tewkesbury water.

Neil, first, they should not be fishing at the moment, second the description "3 idiots chucking big green lures and drinking beer" which was what I was told does not fit with salmon anglers. They were above the weir opposite the Ham not on Tewkesbury water.
Agreed Andrew, isn't that the Upper Lode syndicate waters?

I kind of get what marks saying the whole of the media has an alternative agenda and it’s difficult who to believe at the moment ... and the bbc are one of the worst ..take the panorama programme on ppe every single member of the nhs they interviewed was a labour activist ... not that hard to spot really with things like Facebook all that public posturing they gave themselves away..... as someone else said the tv licence should be abolished.... why should I give money to an organisation that protects peadophiles

there is no free speech anymore any one who sticks they’re head above the parapet is instantly shut down or removed from Facebook/ YouTube etc etc and that’s why the world is full of fake news
I agree with all of that Terry. Also, Mark seems to get a bit of flack on here for his views. Unfair in my view. Nothing wrong with a good dose of scepticism, it keeps the 'powers that be' on their toes. I consider it extremely unlikely that the government power brokers are acting in the publics best interests all of the time. As well as I don't (for most of the time) believe in the one sided agenda from the MSM. The BBC is the arch villain in that regard.

Apologies to all for my non-relevant post on this thread. However, the previous discussion on another thread was deemed suitable for locking and deleting.

My money would be some sort of relaxation come early June. So no real impact on the river fishing season, and the tenchfishers amongst us that are fishing deeper gravel pits might get a week or two in before spawning kicks off.
I was looking forward to the spring tenching. But for the greater good, I have no problem with abstaining from fishing, even if that means extending into the river season. Also the gym (even at my age) unfortunately.

Anyway, kind of back on track, and as a bit of an aside question, who would be happy to see horse racing, F1 and football back on their screens, albeit behind closed doors, but not be allowed to visit their favourite lake at this time of year to fling some fluff or otherwise?

I'm a 60+ game a year football addict (including various local non-league games) plus rugby, cricket and horse race meetings. For me they can all stay at home for the foreseeable. The Premier League in particular is all about the money not the players' welfare. I have respect for players like Glenn Murray who have stuck their heads above the parapet and said that they're not comfortable with it. I really thought that I would miss the lack of live sport but I haven't.

Agreed Andrew, isn't that the Upper Lode syndicate waters?
I don’t know Neil I’ll ask. Apparently you can drive there and they had a car behind them so perhaps just chancers? I used to fish the GUAA Lower Lode (left bank) and I’ve fished the Tewkesbury water on the Ham again left bank as you know. This was right bank right above the weir I’ll let you know when I find out more

Andrew. Sounds like the type that flings everything on the barbeque. It happens on my local river every close season. Unfortunately little point in reporting it to the EA. It's blatantly ignored and kicked into the long grass. The locals have given up on the EA.

Hardly anybody does, and it’s not all down to great planning, they were lucky that the
I'm a 60+ game a year football addict (including various local non-league games) plus rugby, cricket and horse race meetings. For me they can all stay at home for the foreseeable. The Premier League in particular is all about the money not the players' welfare. I have respect for players like Glenn Murray who have stuck their heads above the parapet and said that they're not comfortable with it. I really thought that I would miss the lack of live sport but I haven't.

Totally agree.

Not missed football at all - not even been on my radar. That has really surprised me.

I will miss watching/listening to the cricket this summer...but I suppose it was never going to be as good as last summer.

Back