• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling Trust

Possible issue for the carpers is that although angling is allowed from Wednesday, people are still expected to return home every night..... Not sure the bicycle brigade will appreciate that!

Dave

Possible issue for the carpers is that although angling is allowed from Wednesday, people are still expected to return home every night..... Not sure the bicycle brigade will appreciate that!

Dave

Bl***y predictive text - I intended to say BIVVY brigade, not sure where the bikes came from!

Anyway, has anyone else interpreted the “exercise” relaxation that way. If so, should we be concerned that carpers doing long stay (night) fishing trips may muddy the waters and incur the wrath of the authorities via all the campers and caravanners who are still banned from staying overnight?

Dave

Both of my clubs are insisting on pre bookings and return restrictions. 1 night on no return for 2 days. 2 nights on no return for 5 days.

Bl***y predictive text - I intended to say BIVVY brigade, not sure where the bikes came from!

Anyway, has anyone else interpreted the “exercise” relaxation that way. If so, should we be concerned that carpers doing long stay (night) fishing trips may muddy the waters and incur the wrath of the authorities via all the campers and caravanners who are still banned from staying overnight?

Dave
I don’t know why but I interpreted that as the “bait testers” who will will swim share creating a monopoly of the hot swims.

Just to be clear, my understanding is that the ability to travel for the purposes of taking exercise or ‘approved’ sports/pastimes is available for one day only (each time) and that the expectation is that anyone leaving home to take advantage of this rule is expected to return home the same day. Camping etc is not permitted as this would involve staying away from home overnight. Erecting a bivvy and then staying in that overnight, may be common practice for certain angling situations but is not within the permitted activities granted as part of the relaxation of the lockdown, as it is not a journey from home and return the same day.

I am just concerned that if it becomes clear that some anglers are effectively having fishing holidays by staying overnight for an extended period, all the hard work done by the Angling Trust to achieve this relaxation of the lockdown, permitting fishing, may come to naught and we could find ourselves back off the banks for a further extended period.

Dave

Dave
Made me chuckle...

Maybe not as daft as you may think.... although this might be

Hi all, sorry I've missed this thread. Firstly, Garry - hope your wife is holding up ok.

I've been following this quite closely, not just because i would like to get out, but also my best mate is now the head of the AT as of a couple of months ago (i mention this in the interests of full clarity!). I know he/they have been working extremely hard on this and as pointed out earlier in the thread the whole purpose was to ensure that angling was fairly represented as/when the Gov decided that a loosening was appropriate rather than trying to force them to make an exception to angling.

its had to be clarified a few times, almost ENTIRELY due to some anglers on social media actively trying (seemingly) to find loop holes for not being able to go.

The final word is that you can go night fishing, and you can travel. the 'no overnight rule' was in regard to second/holiday homes and camping holidays (if you think about that it makes sense - exposing yourself to a different population from that around your home, shopping etc whilst there and risking movement of the virus. remember the virus doesnt move itself).

the relevant guidelines are here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-guidance-on-spending-time-outdoors

of particular relevance is:

From today, people in England are able to:
- go fishing on their own, with their household, or with one other person while adhering to social distancing rules - in a separate point it stipulates for 'an unlimited amount of time' - though it has also been added 'you must return home once you have finished your activity'
- drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance. You can travel to outdoor open spaces, in a private vehicle, alone or with members of your own household

This has been confirmed by DEFRA/Sport England/EA and three cabinet ministers.

Above all, this is (obviously you would hope) subject to social distancing, minimising any potential spread of the virus.

I'm lucky to be off this weekend - as far as i can see, all fisheries have decent processes in place - limited numbers, ensuring swims are adequately spaced, booking system etc.

Matches are not allowed because this clearly comes under the ban of 'no organised group events'. seems a couple of fisheries have advertised matches already which beggars believe. luckily they advertise on facebook which makes it quite easy for the police to give them a call.

The doom merchants who thought there was no night fishing were wrong, I have spoken to the Angling trust and angling is classed as a exercise and you can take unlimited exercise, camping isn't and that's why you cannot do that.

The doom merchants who thought there was no night fishing were wrong, I have spoken to the Angling trust and angling is classed as a exercise and you can take unlimited exercise, camping isn't and that's why you cannot do that.
Perhaps the Doom Merchants might have a point if the 'R ' factor continues to rise? As much as we are all desperate to get back to some sort of normality, I hope these new uplifting of restrictions don't result in having to impose further heavier restrictions down the line.

I've got no issue with folks night fishing so long as they maintain social distancing.

But I would implore everyone to try and stay local within reason. At the present time travelling across the country just to go fishing, with all the inevitable stops at services, fuel stations etc, I feel is irresponsible.

The trouble is that if night fishing was banned there would be a lot more travelling back and forwards.

Neil, as long as anglers are obeying the rules I am happy for them, doesn't affect me as I don't night fish or fish lakes but happy for the ones that do.

Back