• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling Times otter article

I must admit when I see the hunt in the reds all geared up it’s quite a sight, however the immediate response is short lasting as they play hoorah Henry blocking the road and causing chaos. Worse than the Lycra clad tour de new forest, riding around 7 a breast.

I must admit when I see the hunt in the reds all geared up it’s quite a sight, however the immediate response is short lasting as they play hoorah Henry blocking the road and causing chaos. Worse than the Lycra clad tour de new forest, riding around 7 a breast.
I'd rather be stuck behind the hunt, at least they are just totally inconsiderate. I get the feeling cyclists set out with the sole purpose to piss off as many motorists as possible.

I was confronted by the hunt on a hill section of the A442 going through a wood between Bridgnorth and Kidderminster. Hounds and horses were all over the road. I was faced with a line of stationary south bound cars, and me (north bound) being the first to arrive at the blockage ... with cars arriving behind me. It was a total jam with hounds all around and between the cars and in the woods at either side of the road, and horse skittering. The riders looked amused by the melee, until I lent on my horn and started the dogs howling and barking, and the horses shying. The hunt master started gobbing it at me so I set my car alarm off. He was apoplectic 😂 Eventually most of the riders had to dismount and lead their horses off into the woods.
The things you see when you ain't got a gun eh.

Used to work with two people who were part of the hunts. Both of them were total pr*cks (and I'm convinced one of them was embezzling the company we worked for, although I never found hard evidence of it).

Jacob Rees-Mogg (my local MP [spits]) is also a big hunt fan (although I'm not actually sure he's ever taken part in one, despite being the dictionary image of a huntperson). That should say it all.

Fancy the Angling Time providing such a thought-provoking article! On the one hand it's hard to deny that (along with beavers and other mooted reintroductions) it's great to see otters thriving once again in their natural environment. On the other hand it's hard to deny that they've have a massively adverse effect on the number of barbel in our small and medium sized rivers - and probably large rivers too, though that's more difficult to gauge. No one here, from the posts I've read, is under any illusion that other factors haven't come into play, which have created a kind of perfect storm which is ruining barbel fishing.

To my mind, whole picture needs looking at.

I certainly realise how lucky I have been over the years regarding the numbers and quality of barbel that I have seen in most of my rivers.

From the times in the very early '60's when to many they were considered so rare that hardly that many fished for them.

It will be a long time if ever till the fantastic days of the 1970 through to, say 2010 come again

the title of the thread is angling times OTTER article... the question i believe is .. have otters had a profound effect on any barbel populations... the answer to that question is yes

all the other things being discussed ...pollution...abstraction...crayfish etc etc are another discussion

which only leaves one burning question....
Damian what planet is it that you live on 😁
My suggestion that you have to disengage with some individuals Terry, they are just antagonistic, you say black they say white, they dont know how to discuss, one protagonist even suggested that the only reason I was against otters is because of my own selfish needs as I am only interested in big barbel and not all barbel, utter stupidity, thankfully most engage and chat without insult or sarcasm, BFW is a great web site with some great debate, its a credit to its creator and administrators.
The otter debate isnt funny, its a serious matter.
This has been a great thread...

My suggestion that you have to disengage with some individuals Terry, they are just antagonistic, you say black they say white, they dont know how to discuss, one protagonist even suggested that the only reason I was against otters is because of my own selfish needs as I am only interested in big barbel and not all barbel, utter stupidity, thankfully most engage and chat without insult or sarcasm, BFW is a great web site with some great debate, its a credit to its creator and administrators.
The otter debate isnt funny, its a serious matter.
This has been a great thread...
Kind of odd you would say that some do not know how to discuss when you are quite clearly of just one opinion and will not even contemplate any other alternative, to the point of saying that anyone whose experiences contradict yours are being utterly irresponsible!
Utterly bonkers! Rather like that quote of Terry's
'the question i believe is .. have otters had a profound effect on any barbel populations... the answer to that question is yes

all the other things being discussed ...pollution...abstraction...crayfish etc etc are another discussion'.

There again quite clearly are displayed the limitations with trying to discuss sensibly this issue.

Human actions , directly or indirectly lead to the near extinction of Otters in large parts of the UK . Latterly human actions have lead to a large increase of Otters in most parts of the country , in many areas this has lead to a decline in fish populations , I say fish as I simply do not believe that Barbel are more susceptible to Otter predation than other fish species . There will never be a legally sanctioned cull of Otters , or indeed any other intervention to reduce there numbers , reason ? It wouldn't win votes for our largely self serving politicians and their respective parties . We just have to accept that Otters are a native species and they eat fish and birds and other animals , that's what Otters do . All this wailing and gnashing of teeth in these so called debates is a complete waste of time and does the image of angling no good at all

Human actions , directly or indirectly lead to the near extinction of Otters in large parts of the UK . Latterly human actions have lead to a large increase of Otters in most parts of the country , in many areas this has lead to a decline in fish populations , I say fish as I simply do not believe that Barbel are more susceptible to Otter predation than other fish species . There will never be a legally sanctioned cull of Otters , or indeed any other intervention to reduce there numbers , reason ? It wouldn't win votes for our largely self serving politicians and their respective parties . We just have to accept that Otters are a native species and they eat fish and birds and other animals , that's what Otters do . All this wailing and gnashing of teeth in these so called debates is a complete waste of time and does the image of angling no good at all
The image of angling? In whose eyes? I don't particularly care what non anglers think of angling. As a person who also shoots I am used to negativity towards that as well and remain indifferent to it. The average non-angler/shooter doesn't actually give as much thought to these activities as most seem to think, and don't appear to care too much either way. The active anti-angler will still be anti-angling even if anglers themselves were breeding and releasing otters.

don’t see your point damian you can discuss otters as a lone subject.... but i don’t expect anything else from someone who thinks otters have been hiding in the bushes for 30 years
That doesn't come as any surprise really!
Discuss otters as a lone subject? Quite possible! Discuss their impact on barbel angling, whilst completely disregarding issues of pollution, over abstraction, sedimentation? Quite possible too, if you are selective in discussing only certain issues for your own ends! Rather convenient do you not think to not have to consider any other issue affecting the sustaining of healthy barbel populations, just to be able shine a spotlight on one animal!
I guess it's a simplistic view for a reason!
It's probably utterly irresponsible of me to have said that I was made aware of otters being resident in the Avon back in '97.

Discuss otters as a lone subject? Quite possible! Discuss their impact on barbel angling, whilst completely disregarding issues of pollution, over abstraction, sedimentation? Quite possible too, if you are selective in discussing only certain issues for your own ends! Rather convenient do you not think to not have to consider any other issue affecting the sustaining of healthy barbel populations, just to be able shine a spotlight on one animal!
It's probably utterly irresponsible of me to have said that I was made aware of otters being resident in the Avon back in '97.
It's a fair point that all issues are in fact part of the same problem so logically can be included in the same discussion. The problem has often been the total denial by otter lovers that they are, in fact, at least a part of the problem, never mind whether they may or may not be most of it. I was talking to an EA official at a small country fair in Stratford a few years ago and mentioned the increase of otters on the Warks Avon, along with a sharply depleted barbel population. He didn't bring up the obvious points of abstraction, poor recruitment etc. but tried to tell me all fish kills were mink and not otters. When I mentioned that the death of the Traveller on the Wensum, a fish in excess of 18 pounds, might be a tall order for a mink he merely asked if I had concrete proof that it was an otter. This is plainly insulting peoples intelligence and helps neither side of the argument.

Hi men,

Better than the answer I got from the EA , they told me that I would have to find other fish to go for , crass statement from people we pay our licence fee to .

Hatter
That was also an answer given to a former member on here (I think) when talking to somebody involved in the release of otters on the Upper Thames.

I've read some evasive posts re. the destruction of the barbel population, but I think you should get first prize for that post Damian. The OP was about otters. Otters Damian. But it would appear that the only contribution you're willing to make is about all the other possible factors in this equation. Your contribution slyly amounts to "Ah, but what about this, what about that" ...anything you can throw into the discussion to 'muddy the waters', as long as it's not otters.
Obfuscation, smoke & mirror evasion, and downright disingenuous.
BTW ... I observed a family of otters on the Severals in the early 80's. They were then part of a functioning eco-system, and they are now part of a problem we face (IMO).

That was also an answer given to a former member on here (I think) when talking to somebody involved in the release of otters on the Upper Thames.
I had a exchange of emails in the early 2000,s and a few phone conversations to their top man about the release of those otters , as we were fishing the Windrush , Evenlode and Thames heavily through the 90s , we see it first hand , and was even contacted by the bailiff at linear to see if our results would confirm their fears .

Hatter

no one is saying there was no otters in 97 damian...... let’s put this into perspective..we are talking about otters.... not the dodo or the woolly mammoth

...BTW ... I observed a family of otters on the Severals in the early 80's. They were then part of a functioning eco-system, and they are now part of a problem we face (IMO).

How so?

You are not stupid Damian, maybe in denial but not that stupid. You appear to be all for 'balance' - in the world, nature, and the 'self'. Well the same balance is attained when a fox is let into a hen-house as when otters are introduced into small/medium sized rivers, with the large female barbel, the matriarchs, the 'brood mares', taking on the role of the 'hens'. They don't stand a chance, the 'fox' will destroy. The Yang will devour the Yin (and I believe you know this, Grasshopper).

Back