• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anglers Mail - John Bailey Article

Could all those who know the details and outcomes of the project which Karen Twine undertook please put your hands up. The rest of you I can ignore until you understand what I am talking about.

I am assuming those knocking her studies didnt read the previous article in Anglers Mail....one of the best articles I have read this year and I cant think of any motive for her to make it all up.

Believe what you like guys but maybe, just maybe you should consider it MAY be true after all if Barbel are that stupid then why do many anglers keep thinking up new elaborate rigs etc.... to avoid spooking them. They wont scarper if a rather large mammal comes near them but lightly brush their fin with some monofilament and they dissapear quicker than a chelsea manager :)

Last edited:
Hi men,

Perhaps the EA will will stop stocking in their thousands ?, now they know the fish have out thought otters and men , or changed their eating habits in those area ?.

I'm off to buy up all the stock of fish trackers on EBay and make a fortune !:D

Hatter

The stockings are to fix another problem, i.e. the lack of fry recruitment due to poor habitat.

I am assuming you and those others knocking her studies didnt read the previous article in Anglers Mail....one of the best articles I have read this year and I cant think of any motive for her to make it all up.

Believe what you like guys but maybe, just maybe you should consider it MAY be true after all if Barbel are that stupid then why do many anglers keep thinking up new elaborate rigs etc.... to avoid spooking them. They wont scarper if a rather large mammal comes near them but lightly brush their fin with some monofilament and they dissapear quicker than a chelsea manager :)

Hang on a minute Dave, I am not knocking it I am supportng it 100%, I put it up here to try (I should have known better) to convince all those top rods that maybe there really is something else they need to think about. The problem is they have their witch now and nothing will stop them burning it........:rolleyes:

Hang on a minute Dave, I am not knocking it I am supportng it 100%, I put it up here to try (I should have known better) to convince all those top rods that maybe there really is something else they need to think about. The problem is they have their witch now and nothing will stop them burning it........:rolleyes:

Apologies Ian, it wasnt aimed at you, it should have read 'those knocking it' lol. In other words I like you had an open mind to it, thought it was a good read

I have to agree with the doubters. Catch rates and fish sightings on the Teme are drastically down this year and have been trending that way for a few years. Its definitely not hammered, seldom see another angler these days. Pop down to the Wye and most days it's so easy, pellet, boilie, maggot, can't believe Teme fish have wised up to all these baits all of a sudden.

I would love to hear of any instance in the natural world where a rapid increase in the numbers of a predator has not resulted in the initial decline in the numbers of it's prey species which has previously had no significant predator once over a certain size.

Before otters returned most barbel had no predators once over about 5lb other than angling casualties. Given the poor recruitment of barbel in many rivers there are limited numbers of small and medium sized fish coming through and if you lose the bigger, older fish otter predation is bound to have an impact on the stocks of barbel in some rivers. The only reason it won't is if otters don't eat barbel, but we know they do. Obviously they won't eat every barbel but to suggest that in some situations they are not having a significant impact is nonsense.

Perhaps John Bailey would care to comment on the observations from the Wensum where barbel fishing is becoming a distant memory?

The stockings are to fix another problem, i.e. the lack of fry recruitment due to poor habitat.

Correct Andrew,

Another part of the study identified a few missing year classes, for example 2011, the river was so low the spawning gravels in a couple of the normal spawning areas were above water level so very very few fry were produced. 2007, few fry survived the July floods as on many rivers).

The EA are constantly re-stocking rivers with all sorts of species, They try to fill the gaps, I hope that continues forever.......

I would love to hear of any instance in the natural world where a rapid increase in the numbers of a predator has not resulted in the initial decline in the numbers of it's prey species which has previously had no significant predator once over a certain size.

Before otters returned most barbel had no predators once over about 5lb other than angling casualties. Given the poor recruitment of barbel in many rivers there are limited numbers of small and medium sized fish coming through and if you lose the bigger, older fish otter predation is bound to have an impact on the stocks of barbel in some rivers. The only reason it won't is if otters don't eat barbel, but we know they do. Obviously they won't eat every barbel but to suggest that in some situations they are not having a significant impact is nonsense.

Perhaps John Bailey would care to comment on the observations from the Wensum where barbel fishing is becoming a distant memory?

David, if you bother to read the article, which is what this thread is about by the way, before sharing your thoughts, you will find that John did comment particularly on the Wensum, being his local river, where he fished for chub with two other very good anglers one day and couldn't buy a bite between the three of them, the stretch was electro fished a couple of days later and more than 40 chub including some real big ones were netted.........

David, if you bother to read the article, which is what this thread is about by the way, before sharing your thoughts, you will find that John did comment particularly on the Wensum, being his local river, where he fished for chub with two other very good anglers one day and couldn't buy a bite between the three of them, the stretch was electro fished a couple of days later and more than 40 chub including some real big ones were netted.........

I was commenting on the impact on barbel that was being discussed. I've read plenty on the Wensum by Chris Turnbull and my comments related to barbel there, not chub.

Nobody in their right mind would make claims about a fish population based on 3 anglers blanking so the fact they turned up plenty of chub is not relevant. Perhaps you would like to comment on the other part of my post.

A decided lack of in depth info on that link of Tony Smiths. However, I can see why you were inclined to believe the lady...you rascal Crooky :D I was guessing it had more to do with Bristol than Hull...but that is dreadfully sexist so I will not pursue that further :eek:

Seriously though Ian, as I have said all along, I have NO cast iron proof to go on. All my theories are based on anecdotal evidence....but there is an awful lot of it, and much of it from class anglers. The Gt. Ouse was/is the river used for this young ladies study, though I don't know what area/s she used. I assume the three year study study period she is/was involved in is not completed yet? Either way, I would love to hear her final conclusions, all she has to say, and compare it to the experiences of Ray Walton and all his cronies, people such as Graham King, who fished during the good times on the phenomena that was Adams mill and Kickles farm. After all, that wasn't that long back...so the memories should still be fairly reliable. The true story, rather than all the nonsense and bitter, divisive rumours and counter rumours that abounded after it's demise....that would be good.

Time will tell. For now though, it makes for a fun debate, don't it :D

Cheers, Dave.

PS, I see that there is another link up now, which I hope is more informative. I shall enjoy reading that if it is...providing it's not TOO technical.......

Last edited:
I don't understand anyone putting store into anything John Bailey writes. He'll do anything to keep his name in the papers.

I was commenting on the impact on barbel that was being discussed. I've read plenty on the Wensum by Chris Turnbull and my comments related to barbel there, not chub.

Nobody in their right mind would make claims about a fish population based on 3 anglers blanking so the fact they turned up plenty of chub is not relevant. Perhaps you would like to comment on the other part of my post.

David,

I will comment on the rest of your post. There has been no evidence apart from a few, and I mean a few corpses turning up on the ouse and wensum of a mass slaughter of barbel by otters, lots of rumour and speculation and mass hysteria, this is the first time anyone has actually done a scientific study. 20 Barbel in an area with high un-natural otter population and not a single one taken in three years, that must say something....... Of course the otter eat fish but this hysteria that they eat all the barbel and ignore the thousands of easier meals is ridiculous, particularly with no scientific fact behind it.......

I would agree that Barbel above 5lb did not have many predators large pike probably being the only one, but hundreds would still have been lost over the years to disease, infection, boat props, angling damage, etc... Getting to 5lb would always be a struggle though, many, many predators, especially now with cormorants too...........

Having caught on the Kennet this year the ratio of about 10 fish over 9lb to 1 under 9lb it is apparent that.

1/ There are not many fish coming through or

2/ Older doesn't mean wiser in the fish world :rolleyes:

I wonder if Ian G has found the same on the Loddon?????

Yes he has Graham !

To my mind it's blatantly obvious that nowhere near as many Barbel are making it through to catchable weights, i.e when generally speaking they start to get caught by anglers.

Crooky if 3 to 9 lbers are getting too cute for me to catch then i'm going to give up !

You know my opinions that what we are seeing are wild fluctuations in fish populations, and that ultimatly responsibilty for that is mans interferance with the delicate ecology of nature.

Personally, and you know this too, that i think we are on the downward slide from an unnatural peak in the Barbel population between i would say 1995 - 2005, i believe as you know, that the huge numbers the Barbel population at least in the rivers i was fishing reached by the peak of that 10 year period were at least in part due to the crash in the perch population during the period of the disease that hit them, with a top fry predator largely taken out of the equation, it's hardly suprising we saw a rise in the population of Barbel - and other fishes too.
However i can't be sure but by the mid nineties i reckon the disease had past, and the perch population started to recover, and by the early 2000's their population had recovered sufficiently to start having a major impact on fry populations possibly even the eggs before they hatched.
If my theory is correct or at least as i say in part, then as they eat themselves out of house and home, then i would guess their population will start to reduce, and therefore - hopefully - other fish populations will increase, and i would speculate will stabalise around the levels of the pre perch disease era, the problem is that natures attempt to stabalise the population - which may or may not be as it was before - doesn't happen quickly, personally i don't believe unless similar circumstances prevail again, - and they might ! - that we will ever be catching Barbel in the numbers that we saw in that ( my estimate only ) 1995 - 2005 period.
Hopefully things will stabalise sooner rather than later, but i think it will be a few years yet if my theory is correct, but i'd get used to it boys ! i doubt we'll ever again be catching in the numbers that we saw in that time.
Was the perch disease down to human interferance in the ecology, personally i think it probably was, but who knows, and probably impossible to prove one way or the other now.

You make some pretty crass statements though Crooky ! :eek:
i know some pretty damn good anglers who say their captures of Barbel in numbers - particularly the ones in single figures has dropped dramatically in the past few years.

You know, and i'll say here we've had discussions where i've argreed in part with you on this subject other parts not, but i can't for the life of me see how you cannot notice the drop in population that everyone is talking off, and i don't care what Barbel they've tagged or where, there must be something seriously amiss somewhere, and as Graham says, there must be therefore an awful lot of suddenly very cute Barbel in the 3 - 9lb range out there.
That theory to my mind just doesn't stack up, single figure Barbel are and always will be easy to catch when present, and when in large numbers compete so enthusiastically they just hang themselves, they haven't suddenly become wised up to anglers - they're just not there in the numbers they were, possibly at this time the lowest ever, certainly at pre early 1990's levels - it's as plain as the nose on your face !
A few are still coming through, which is encouraging that they're not completely gone, and i think - i hope anyway - the situation will improve.

Otters i believe are not responsible for the major part of this situation we are seeing, at least not county wide, but anyone who denies the damage done to the populations of the Gt Ouse and Wensum to name two must have their head in the sand ! :rolleyes: Thats all i'll say on Otters ! :mad:

Edit..........

Clarifying what i've said above about discussions with Crooky on the subject, and agreeing with him in part, one major point which to some may appear to support Crookys opinion, at least on a few rivers which still have respectable populations of Barbel in single figures.
This is that there are a few anglers quite litteraly bemoaning that the Barbel are all but dead, whilst others are still having quite respecable catches when they fish.
What these anglers are doing wrong, or at least not doing what those who are still catching are, i can't really say, i would say that it must be their inability somewhere along the line to adapt to changing situations, for sure i think that's the case on one river i can think of where there are still respectable numbers of Barbel, though without doubt not in the prolific numbers that i knew of in the late 90's early 2000's - but still all dead ! :rolleyes:

It's obvious to me some rivers, and even stretches of them are suffering from varying drops in the population of Barbel, and Chub, where there are still respectable numbers, i've noticed they are those that are still popular, and consequently see a fair amount of bait, which to my mind certainly hold fish in the area, this actually may be to the detriment of other areas which see what Barbel are left migrate to these areas where food easily available for them, possibly giving a false impression of Barbel numbers, particularly if that is happening, where the migrating Barbel are from areas that are not available for fishing, so giving a false impression of the overall population of a river or stretch of it, because one area is doing well. - just a thought !

Whilst i think it's obvious that not all rivers are seeing equal falls in population, some i think are suffering badly, others are not so bad, it is true i think overall there is or has been a dramatic fall in immature Barbel, but it's as silly to say that they are all gone ! :eek: .... as it is to say there is no fall in the population of Barbel in our rivers at all, and there are as many now as there ever have been ! :eek::eek::eek: Come on !

Ian.

Last edited:
Crooky. I know we will just have to disagree with our views on the Loddon and Kennet. but please remember I have fished the rivers for 30 years longer than you.

I do find the references to Anglers in general not adopting different methods quite insulting to many.
Maggots catch barbel...now there is a surprise... meat also maybe....boilies as well? trotting ? Done it all this season and so have many others.

Let me tell you from talking to Anglers on the banks of these rivers about 3 times a week, the last 5 years have seen a marked reduction in fish catch rates for pretty much all anglers on the Kennet and Loddon.

Of course, higher up rivers, faster runs often produce smaller fish than the river average. BUT what I am saying is the numbers of smaller(under doubles) fish have shown a very marked decline all the way through.

Added.

Just seen your excellent post Ian G. after putting up my one. Brilliant.

Read the reports for the initial BFW seasons and then the current ones.
Some huge fish being caught laterly, yes but numbers of average sized fish.....no.

Look at the Thames reports, many smaller fish?

I don't buy the argument that "one angler said there were no fish nearby and the tagging said there was" so its all ok. That may well be very true. Then again...if there were 3 times as many there they may be competing for food and eating (as maybe there was a few years ago) Its fine to say there are lots of barbel about, don't worry....but how do you define lots, unless you compare over a significant period of time.

Why dont you give me a tally number of DF fish caught from the TDFC Loddon in this season and tell me that reflects a good number of smaller fish. It probably represents about a dozen at maximum.

Looking at IG's returns I reckon he catches 8 doubles to 1 single........

As for the Wye, yes lots IMO as I have managed about 1000 over the past 3 years.

But its not the Kennet or Loddon or apparently the Bristol Avon.....

I know the report excites you, I know she is passsionate about the research, I believe she has just been appointed to senior job (EA?) but don't let your requirement to retain memberships of a very good barbel orientated Club make you ignore the bleedingly obvious.

Added
Just seen your excellent post Ian after putting up mine. (these incomers!!)

Last edited:
I don't understand anyone putting store into anything John Bailey writes. He'll do anything to keep his name in the papers.

Not the first time I have heard that either....although I have no evidence of the truth or otherwise of that claim, so wouldn't care to comment further :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back