• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anglers mail article

He is Neil, but by constantly having such a negative attitude to how so many anglers wish to fish he is inviting condemnation.
He said himself Alex that the comments he made should have been toned downed in the article, but you know what these tabloids are like?
He is a larger than life character, bit like our Des Taylor, never afraid to voice his opinion, as were many before, Richard Walker, Ivan Marks etc, but I see where you are coming from, each to their own how they operate.

He said himself Alex that the comments he made should have been toned downed in the article, but you know what these tabloids are like?
He is a larger than life character, bit like our Des Taylor, never afraid to voice his opinion, as were many before, Richard Walker, Ivan Marks etc, but I see where you are coming from, each to their own how they operate.

It won't stop him writing something controversial again, he would have had a proof to approve before they went to print.

I see Mr Pope has responded to Mr Reading in the Anglers Mail letters page this week....
Well, he had to didn't he? What else was there to do but to confirm to anglers nationwide that he thought that they were dying to read what he had to say because Pete's opinion piece was directed to him?!

I wonder how many additional copies of the AT sold due to the controversy? First time I’ve really heard any of us discuss the AT for a while. It’s not much of credible publication is it? Click bait crap mostly.

It was the Anglers Mail mate
I wonder how many additional copies of the AT sold due to the controversy? First time I’ve really heard any of us discuss the AT for a while. It’s not much of credible publication is it? Click bait crap mostly.
It was the Anglers Mail mate, but the decline of both weekly angling papers is significant and the amount of extra copies sold would have been insignificant, if any, the decline of both the weekly angling papers is dramatic and any further decline will see them disappear for good or at best go on line, we have already seen the decline and winding up of some pretty good angling magazines, its all about advertising revenue, less sales means less ads, less ads means no paper or mag, it will take much more than a spat between a few old barbel men to increase the sales of the Anglers Mail, to make a difference...

Apologies for the mistake between the AT and AM, stand by the rest of it though. The whole print media is in trouble tbh, people just don’t buy papers and magazines the way they did, the internet has seen to that. In some ways it’s a shame as it’s a loss and it’s people’s livings but the world moves on I guess. Very few people my age will buy a paper and those in the 18-30 category probably couldn’t even guess what one costs.

Personally I think night fishing should 'trialled ' by clubs using venues that are not too close to people's houses. There is no doubt that anti-social behaviour has been responsible for clubs losing water in the past. I wonder if clubs simply say ' no night fishing' without giving a trial in appropriate areas?
I suppose the answer is a private 'syndicate' with fishing hours negotiated with the riparian owner. And that always opens another 'can of worms' (😉).
Tight Lines,
G.T.

Personally I think night fishing should 'trialled ' by clubs using venues that are not too close to people's houses. There is no doubt that anti-social behaviour has been responsible for clubs losing water in the past. I wonder if clubs simply say ' no night fishing' without giving a trial in appropriate areas?
I suppose the answer is a private 'syndicate' with fishing hours negotiated with the riparian owner. And that always opens another 'can of worms' (😉).
Tight Lines,
G.T.
Sounds reasonable Graham, but each club would need at least 2 pairs (sickness/holidays/other unavailability) of bailiffs willing to patrol together after dark. I know BAA, with all its 1000's of members, struggles to find just that.

Having started to read this thread and being a little frustrated with BAA night rules.
Where can you night on the severn?
Is night fishing that productive, OK I get an hour or so into dark, but night fishing beyond that is as far as I know a pretty pointless exercise. There is a club that allows night fish on the Severn, I used to be a member, but I cannot recall anyone pitching up all night there, up to midnight perhaps, but that was it. If you want to know the Club, message me.

Is night fishing that productive, OK I get an hour or so into dark, but night fishing beyond that is as far as I know a pretty pointless exercise. There is a club that allows night fish on the Severn, I used to be a member, but I cannot recall anyone pitching up all night there, up to midnight perhaps, but that was it. If you want to know the Club, message me.

I've quite often found it productive. I've been to knowle sands a few times in the last couple of months. There's been camp fires in some swims. I've also seen people with night lights fishing the opposite bank. I know that stretch allows night fishing.

There is a big difference to night fishing and simply fishing in the dark when it comes to the time people are on the bank. Night fishing in summer would usually be considered after 11 pm, but in winter you could be considered to be night fishing by 5.00 pm. It is why set times would make far more sense and would not deprive those who like an hour or two into dark of their favourite time, and would not really cater for all night sessions.

As to whether it's worth it, that can depend entirely on the river/month/time of year and various other factors. In summer, on one stretch of the WA, midnight was very productive in summer, particularly on a moonrise/set day and was often the first bite of the dark hours.

Had my first and last double in the dark, plus plenty more.
Also, had some of my best roach after dark, including four 2's.

Is night fishing that productive, OK I get an hour or so into dark, but night fishing beyond that is as far as I know a pretty pointless exercise.

Of course it is! Fished two days (and nights) on the Trent recently. Two bites in the hours of daylight all the time I was there, lost them both 😏 Between dusk and approx 4.30am both nights had 11 barbel first night and 8 the second. Came steady throughout the hours of darkness. Just wasn't happening in the day.

Rob.. You saying night fishing is more productive!!
Is that not because on many rivers nowadays, the majority of anglers have fallen into the carp fishing trap of night fishing
ie, not really fishing during the day, just killing time before the baiting onslaught of evening.
Is it not more there are more fishing at night which creates the feeding times for the fish..
I personally very rarely fish into dark.... in the past through choice, now due to family health matters and being a carer.
BUT, Most of my fish are caught between midday and 4pm.. On moody rivers such as the Kennet, I have found this to be the quiet time of the day, no one around to disturb my fishing so fish less wary.
However, this is personal choice as I say, everyone to their own.

Paul. I don't disagree with what you say. I work 9-5 in the week (plus 1.5hrs commuting per day) and have a young family which means weekday day fishing is a no no (unless I'm on a days holiday) and weekend day fishing is a rarity. This means I spend many more hours fishing in darkness than light. I have friends who fish in the day and catch plenty, and sometimes I feel like I am missing out.

However, I was replying solely to the comment "is night fishing that productive". In my experience yes, and that is supported by all the times I have fished in the hours of daylight and then into dark. It's not a trap, it's just me fishing when I can and I certainly don't lord the bait in! However, I still catch more in the dark 100%. I'd prefer to catch more in the daylight as it's much easier to see what you are doing and the photographs are nicer (although it's harder to hide where you are!) 😂

Rob.. You saying night fishing is more productive!!
Is that not because on many rivers nowadays, the majority of anglers have fallen into the carp fishing trap of night fishing
ie, not really fishing during the day, just killing time before the baiting onslaught of evening.
Is it not more there are more fishing at night which creates the feeding times for the fish..
I personally very rarely fish into dark.... in the past through choice, now due to family health matters and being a carer.
BUT, Most of my fish are caught between midday and 4pm.. On moody rivers such as the Kennet, I have found this to be the quiet time of the day, no one around to disturb my fishing so fish less wary.
However, this is personal choice as I say, everyone to their own.
The stretches of River Trent that I fish are more heavily fished during the day for little reward. I go down in the late afternoon, carry on into darkness and catch plenty of barbel. When I arrive, most are packing in and moaning about how poorly the river is fishing this year. And as for chub! I've not caught so many for years. All as the light begins to fade and into darkness. I don't know if they feed all night as I always pack up at 11 pm.

Back