• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Albright Knot For Fluoro/Braid Combi Links...

Nothing wrong with that method Derek, thats what ive done when using fluro/braid combis in the past..Just use a small swivel and cover the swivel with rig putty or plastercine which actually improves hooking up the fish better..:)

Thank you for that info Gary.....

I have up till now been using a small ring for connecting the two materials but i think that the albright looks a much neater connection plus i seem to be easier to get the right length of hook to knot of the braid link more consistantly..:)

that's the knot use , it has never let me down . Don't what it's called but used it for while now for carp and barbel .

Yes that looks to be the albright knot.

I use the albright with 12lb drennan sinkbraid to 12lb ESP soft ghost, in testing the rig broke at about 12lb of pressure and never at the knot, always in the braid part of the rig. Never let me down, untill I hooked my last Barbel, when the knot went before the rod had even reached full compression! Having tied this knot LOTS of times in the past I'm pretty sure I tied it correctly, but obviously something must've gone wrong.... Could it have been the number of turns I did? I'm pretty sure I did five up five down. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Cheers, Nick

Do you guys moisten this knot before you tighten it??

Neil maybe you had caught just to many barbel on that hooklink:eek: Mind you thats another point do we change our hooklinks often enough???

Neil maybe you had caught just to many barbel on that hooklink:eek: Mind you thats another point do we change our hooklinks often enough???

Good point John, but the problem is knowing when is often enough. Had a few breakages myself this season after landing several fish in quick succession, usually at, or close to, the swivel. I always check the hooklength for damage after landing a fish and change it if there's anything visible, but I suppose it's possible to get stress breakages after repeated captures.

Yes Steve thats also a good point! Usually when its to late then we kick ourselves:(

I use the albright with 12lb drennan sinkbraid to 12lb ESP soft ghost, in testing the rig broke at about 12lb of pressure and never at the knot, always in the braid part of the rig. Never let me down, untill I hooked my last Barbel, when the knot went before the rod had even reached full compression! Having tied this knot LOTS of times in the past I'm pretty sure I tied it correctly, but obviously something must've gone wrong.... Could it have been the number of turns I did? I'm pretty sure I did five up five down. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Cheers, Nick

I always give it a good test first, before casting in, had it come undone a couple of times when testing it, never sussed out why.:confused:

I use a five turn albright knot. Ensure the knot is moistened before you tighten. Also test it before you cut the tags, as sometimes it can slip.

Back