• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Albright Knot For Fluoro/Braid Combi Links...

John Cook

Evening Barbelers,

I tied up some combi rigs using the albright knot using supernatural braid to my usual riverge soft plus and spiderwire ultra, i dont like the way that the supernatural digs into the fine diameter fluoro and i think that i will have to find another fluoro for my combi link rigs. Your thoughts and recommendations for a suitable fluoro?

i use p line fluro now but have tried all different types.
the knot i use is a double grinner knot ;)never had any problems with it.
just type it into search engine and have a go.

Hi John,

Is the p line a pure fluoro or a mono coated fluoro?

ive got the real fluro and also a fluroclear which is the coated stuff!
try that knot looks tricky at 1st but if i can tie it anyone can:eek:

Evening Barbelers,

I tied up some combi rigs using the albright knot using supernatural braid to my usual riverge soft plus and spiderwire ultra, i dont like the way that the supernatural digs into the fine diameter fluoro and i think that i will have to find another fluoro for my combi link rigs. Your thoughts and recommendations for a suitable fluoro?
Like i said John in your previous thread it cut into my fluoro too. I had ultra confidence in my fluoro, so the only thing to do was change the supernatural to another hooklength braid. I think when using the albright its best to experiment and match them both up or disaster could be very close.

Hi Jon.

I like the supernatural braid so i think for the combi rigs i will look for a fluoro that is not so fine in diameter or not so soft...

John, I use 15lb Sink braid with ESP Soft Ghost 10lb and i've never had a breakage at the knot.
Paul

I've used both the Allbright and the back-to-back Grinner for combi rigs, personally I find the Grinners easier to tie, never had any breakage problems either.

Hi Lads,

No problem with tying the knots i think that the albright is the neater though, the problem is with the very fine diameter supernatural braid cutting into the fine diameter soft fluorocarbon.....So i am looking for a good standard fluoro for my combi links. Any suggestions? Anyone using the supernatural in a combi rig??

John, there are so many variations of the Albright knot, possibly the choice of how to tie this knot may cause some problems.

I've never had the braid cut through the fluoro line, not even slightly.
I use combi rigs for tench and carp, using 8lb Drennan feeder braid, 10lb ESP Soft Ghost, 18lb - 25lb Korda Super Natural to I.Q1, I.Q2 , X-line and Drennan Fly leader (amongst others).

The knot I use being seven turns up and seven turns down. I do also put a dab of rig glue over the knot.

Hi Lads,

No problem with tying the knots i think that the albright is the neater though, the problem is with the very fine diameter supernatural braid cutting into the fine diameter soft fluorocarbon.....So i am looking for a good standard fluoro for my combi links. Any suggestions? Anyone using the supernatural in a combi rig??

Why not use coated braid, enough different choices out there?

Not a fan of coated braids i think that i will look at the esp ghost and the fox illusion they seem to be a little thicker for bs than i would normally use.

John, I understand your thoughts on coated braids, I don't really like them much either.

What is your main reason for favouring fluoro line as the stiff link?
Its stiff wiry property or the lo-vis factor?

The low vis element Colin.

No other options then it has to be fluoro line, which of course is soft mono as line comes.

If you've got loads of Super Natural braid wanting a new home (weed green or gravel brown), send me a pm I'll buy it, subject to negotiations.;)

Either that or give the 7 up 7 down knot with a dab of rig glue a bash.

Thanks Colin but i will persevere and try your knot with a different fluoro:)

Thank you for that Gary, have you used it with any other fluoros?

Please, forgive my ignorance. I,m not into fancy rigs, i try to keep it as simple as possible. ( a bit like meself ). but can,t you join the braid/flouro using a swivel ?

Back