• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice Needed - Custom Rods

I did see that one, Rotherham is a bit far for me unfortunately 😂

I must admit I'm leaning more towards the 11' 1.75 now. Only heard great things about it and for the Kennet seems perfect.

I did see that one, Rotherham is a bit far for me unfortunately 😂

I must admit I'm leaning more towards the 11' 1.75 now. Only heard great things about it and for the Kennet seems perfect.
You looked at the Freespirit 11'Hi s?
Had my best fishing highlights on those rods too.

Anthony, I’ve got a good selection of Torrix and fish the Kennet. If you want to meet up at some point I could bring them and you could see what the differences are first hand.

Personally I reckon the 11’ 1.75 is a brilliant rod as is the 12’ 2.0 version.

Cheers, Darren

Torrix 11' 1.75 for me, just had two made by Mark Tunley, lovely rods.
Yep ....... me too. Lovely rods and built to perfection
8F25B12C-B508-4CB7-9068-832AADC9C5F4.jpeg
B1690ED9-D611-4D10-862F-649B562C8038.jpeg
B2D4F241-AA1F-452E-9CE8-FEC75198BAC5.jpeg
522A8988-B3D6-4B86-8BC9-8189C5C5B003.jpeg

As a couple of people have said.. Have a look at the free spirit range before you make your mind up.. The Barbel Seeker is a fantastic rod.. I had one built about 4 years ago by Roger Hurst who builds most of the free spirit rods for the trade..

If lead time is too long for completely custom, what do you think about off the peg from John Ross?

Personally wouldn't. Be patient and get what you want, unless there's a bargain to be had. Wouldn't be the first time that I've bought a new rod and rebuilt it to my spec.
Just my opinion, but off the shelf rods can be quite varied.
Did a hear a shout of 'we knew he'd say that'

torrix garn.jpg

Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob and thanks everyone for giving me some great advice.

I will for sure go for 2 x 11 1.75 Torrix - Reached out to Mark for lead time estimate. In the meantime if anyone wants to move any on, think of me :)

I will for sure go for 2 x 11 1.75 Torrix - Reached out to Mark for lead time estimate. In the meantime if anyone wants to move any on, think of me :)
Bob the rod, ex Fosters now Angling Direct. Great value, and a good build quality.

You do realise that whatever you get, this will just be the start of it👍
Mark makes lovely rods and is a pleasure to deal with
As has been said get it specified how you want it, my pal just bought a 2lb torrix off Johnson Ross and it’s a lovely rod but he paid about the same as I’d get one custom made and there’s quite a bit I would change
Nothing major but the devils in the detail IMHO

Andrew Boyne since the passing of Mick Holgate Kingfisher rods a couple of my mates have been using him .his work looks top draw .i will get his details for you if you like .he is base in little borough works part time in angling direct in warrington known his for years

Barbel in the part of the kennet I will be fishing (AA ticket) will be doubles. Last year 12+ wasn't rare sight. Also it's pretty snaggy in parts.

Thanks for all the replies some great advice for me to chew on. I am leaning towards a 1.75 Torrix. I will have a chat to Mark Tunley next week see what the lead time is.

I will get 1 to start with and see how I like it. I can always use my n-gauge 12' power feeder if I need to Chuck two out. Which btw is actually a fantastic rod and has coped very well last year for me.

Fish the same stretch and have ordered a 11 foot 1.75 torrix for it. Now i’ve changed vans can’t keep my little 11 foot 4 piece avon in it anymore that i always uses on there.

Back