• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice Needed - Custom Rods

Anthony James

Hello Gents.

I am after some advice with harrison rods. I am looking to invest in 2 quality rods for this coming campaign on the river kennet. Most of the river is small/medium size, although can some times push through during bad weather.

I have read every article I can find on the net and have narrowed it down to either 1 x chimera #2 12' 1.75TC and an 11' torrix 1.5TC. Or 1 x 11' SU Avon 1.75TC and 1 x chimera #2 1.75TC.

Some of the reviews i've read mention that the torrix is a little stiffer and chimera has more of a progressive tippy action which is what I prefer. I also considered the TU avon so I can use for a multitude of fishing. Although these will be my goto barbel rods, I also target chub in the winter times and tench in the spring. Would like 2 rods which can cover most bases also being versatile for tighter swims, fishing in flood, weir pools etc etc, hence 1 11' and 1 12'. Maybe I am being optimistic about having only 2 rods for all these jobs, but I am hoping!

Any advice, would be greatly appreciated. These will be my very first custom rods, I always use of the peg daiwas, shimano etc etc. As they are an investment for me, I want to make sure they last for a very long time and I don't need another rod for other situations!

Much Appreciated,
Ant

Ant, are you thinking of using two rods at the same time. Or two rods to be used separately for different situations.
If the former, I would advise having a pair of identical rods.
If the later, I would probably choose rods with different characteristics, to suit different situations you envisage. For example a summer low river and an Autumn river in flood.

I will probably use 1 rod at a time each for a different situation like you mention. I would use the 12' rod for targeting barbel in faster flow and autumn, and the 11' for use in the summer and for other species or stalking. I feel like if I get two 12' then it's a bit less versatile? Or do you think 2 x 11' would be enough for my situation?

would you say that the chimera is a bit more versatile than the torrix?

I genuinely don't understand why you don't think that 2 x 12ft 1.75 Torrix would be suitable Anthony.

That's what I used for many years on the Kennet and also for tench fishing on lakes.

The extra length would be a real advantage when fishing the far bank weirs on the river.

Tha Kennet is not so overgrown that you really need to poke through trees apart from the very rare swim.

IF you ever come to sell in future, a matched pair will probably be more saleable as well.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Hello Gents.

I am after some advice with harrison rods. I am looking to invest in 2 quality rods for this coming campaign on the river kennet. Most of the river is small/medium size, although can some times push through during bad weather.

I have read every article I can find on the net and have narrowed it down to either 1 x chimera #2 12' 1.75TC and an 11' torrix 1.5TC. Or 1 x 11' SU Avon 1.75TC and 1 x chimera #2 1.75TC.

Some of the reviews i've read mention that the torrix is a little stiffer and chimera has more of a progressive tippy action which is what I prefer. I also considered the TU avon so I can use for a multitude of fishing. Although these will be my goto barbel rods, I also target chub in the winter times and tench in the spring. Would like 2 rods which can cover most bases also being versatile for tighter swims, fishing in flood, weir pools etc etc, hence 1 11' and 1 12'. Maybe I am being optimistic about having only 2 rods for all these jobs, but I am hoping!

Any advice, would be greatly appreciated. These will be my very first custom rods, I always use of the peg daiwas, shimano etc etc. As they are an investment for me, I want to make sure they last for a very long time and I don't need another rod for other situations!

Much Appreciated,
Ant
Ant.

If you're going to be using them on small /medium sized rivers and for lake tench I'd go for the 1.75 lb tc. I have Chimera's in 12 foot 2.25 lb tc but I used them on the bigger rivers. I'd also go for the 12 foot length. I prefer a through action (Chimera) but you see many (in the majority I'd say) that prefer the Torrix which I think was initially designed for punching boilies out for carp. You wont go wrong with either imo and tend to be very good for resale if you're not happy with your choice.

Having built and owning all the rods you mention and quite a few other Harrison blanks would most likely go for the 1.75 Torrix at 12'.
I would also urge you to try before you buy - to see if the blank actually meets your preferences.
Graham's suggestion of a pair is good advice.
Probably built more 12' 1.75 Torrix than anything else over many years of rod making.
The butt sections of the 1.75 can also accept a 2lb Torrix tip.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bob

Having built and owning all the rods you mention and quite a few other Harrison blanks would most likely go for the 1.75 Torrix at 12'.
I would also urge you to try before you buy - to see if the blank actually meets your preferences.
Graham's suggestion of a pair is good advice.
Probably built more 12' 1.75 Torrix than anything else over many years of rod making.
The butt sections of the 1.75 can also accept a 2lb Torrix tip.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bob
Good point Bob. I had an extra 2lb tip built for mine to deal with flooded Wye and Severn

If your only planning to use one at a time there is no point buying a matching pair.
it’s a personal preference so I strongly urge you run some line through what ever you can before buying.
I personally ain’t a fan of the 12 ft torrix’s. I’m sure they are great as bob said lots of people have them but I personally think the 11 in both 1.75 and 2lb is a far nicer tool.
if you want 2 rods to cover most situations I’d say a 1.75 in 11 or 12 foot, your choice for normal summer conditions and a 2.25 in 12ft for heavier water and leads. My choice would be the 11 1.75 torrix and chimera 3 but definitely try out what you can because my choice might be awful to you.

just a thought if you want them for the start of the season your going to struggle.. all the decent rod builders will be mega busy at this time of year.... with the harrison blanks seemingly slow to come through at the moment

A bit of additional advice:
Make sure that you get decent fittings and especially decent quality cork for the handle. I've seen some expensive rods that has poor cork laced with filler. This should lessen the need for rod maintenance in the future.

The 11' Torrix is a great rod and used them for years in 1.75, 2.0 and 1.5 test. My favourite is the 1.75. The 1.5 has been called the Torrix Avon. Made myself a multi tip 11' Torrix with various test tips but personally didn't take to it in some configurations/combinations.

That’s a very good point Bob. The whole point of “custom” is fitting it out with good rings and reel seats handles etc. no point slapping remoulds on a lambo. Some of my older off the pegs are lovely rods let down with average fittings. Shimano were notorious for handles caked in filler. 🤦‍♂️

The 11' 1.75 Torrix is a (wand). Seemingly ideal for the Kennet But my main concern would be not what rod, but what Barbel?
Barbel in the part of the kennet I will be fishing (AA ticket) will be doubles. Last year 12+ wasn't rare sight. Also it's pretty snaggy in parts.

Thanks for all the replies some great advice for me to chew on. I am leaning towards a 1.75 Torrix. I will have a chat to Mark Tunley next week see what the lead time is.

I will get 1 to start with and see how I like it. I can always use my n-gauge 12' power feeder if I need to Chuck two out. Which btw is actually a fantastic rod and has coped very well last year for me.

Barbel in the part of the kennet I will be fishing (AA ticket) will be doubles. Last year 12+ wasn't rare sight. Also it's pretty snaggy in parts.

Thanks for all the replies some great advice for me to chew on. I am leaning towards a 1.75 Torrix. I will have a chat to Mark Tunley next week see what the lead time is.

I will get 1 to start with and see how I like it. I can always use my n-gauge 12' power feeder if I need to Chuck two out. Which btw is actually a fantastic rod and has coped very well last year for me.
The 11 ft Torrix will serve you well then, it never really feels undergunned when playing a better fish. It's a very good rolling meat rod too, another tick box for the Kennet. Hopefully you will get the odd smaller male Barbel, they are in serious decline. Good luck.

I’d strongly advise you pull about with some Anthony. Don’t forget some builders like Mark and Vic will also build on the free spirit blanks and they might be more to your taste. The torrix’s certainly ain’t for everyone and if your looking for something that doubles right over with a 6lb barbel on then the 1.75 torrix isn’t for you. It’s very powerful in the butt section. However if your 12lb fish ain’t rare then it could just be the perfect rod.
Mark is a great builder I’ve used his services many times but your lead times are going to be way after opening season.
I reckon you’ll be looking at earliest August from any builder unless they have the blanks and rings in stock.

As someone who still regularly fishes the Kennet for barbel.
Ant, I have used the 12 ft Torrex 1.75lb successfully for several years, however I now find in most swims
the 11ft Avon 1.4lb (brought through Davis Tackle) DT does the job.
Many on this site would question the use of a lighter rod, but I have landed fish to 16lb plus on these
and feel more comfortable with them .
I must stress though; I am seriously considering a pair of 11ft 1.75lb Torrex, and only use the 12ft on larger rivers
However, use what you feel comfortable with, it is dangerous to follow others to find you don't like the answers

Anthony
There is a bargain on ebay at the moment for 165
That you could see if it suits and always sell on for same price if not.
Be quick...

Its another torrix 12' 1.75 recommendationfrom me too. Recently had one built and will be getting another in the future once money is available again.

Back