• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A bi poar barbel session this morning

Dave, sory about the speling, typed it in a hury youu cee: didnunt preeview it first.:)

Darreyl, no problems with your viewpoint, you are right when you say that the net shouldnt have been left unattended etc.
Thing, is, I didn't plan for these things and sometimes stuff happens as they say. I didn't actually intend to fall into the river, I was merly trying to get to it downstream. I didn't intend to let the net come away from what I thought was a secure place, infact I didn't intend to go fishing at all that day, it just happened.
Unfortunately I caught four large barbel in 10 minutes and should of course have had four landing nets with me on that trip just in case and used four dog spikes to secure each firmly down. I should have checked that net cord before starting out but I didn't and certainly should not have gone fishing with out some self inflating underpants. I am only joking of course, and that's the point as NONE of my misgivings were intentional, that's what made me laugh, for making a prat of myself.
Also no harm was done to man nor fish, which is the main thing.

Enjoy your fishing, I do.
Stuart

Stuart,

Very good and honest reply to my post.

Let me assure you and others on this thread, I have no personal axe to grind with yourself or any other poster here. Why should I? I don't know you personally, or you me! Tho we have met - but I was just another face in the crowd at yet another angling show!

Like others over the years, I rarely post much these days, as things often get out of hand or taken the wrong way, especially so, in the written word.

Saying that, I would like to explain to you and some of my detractors the reasons behind my negative posts.

I found it a little ironic that over the years, I've seen so many posters hung, drawn and quartered on here for seemingly 'minor' misdemeanors by comparison, such as - no unhooking mat - perceived under or over gunned lines/tackle and also having rods and netted fish pulled in whilst attention was drawn 'for a second'. Yet your story was praised?

Secondly, a few posters on here who know me, know that for many years I've helped and taken youngsters out fishing (quite a few 'older' boys too!:)). To give them a little advice and the general Do's & Don'ts on the bank. I do this for no other reason but to give a little back to the sport that has given me so much in the last 40 years.
Infact, I read your post directly on my return from spending two days away down in the Wye valley, helping a dear friend who is the Headmaster of a very special school from South Wales, which I have done for the past four years. We take ten children with behavior and learning difficulties out fishing for the day and enjoy the countryside once a year.
I don't say this just to blow my own trumpet, many people do similar. Indeed, most of my work mates don't even know I do this - they just think I'm away fishing...again!;)

I only explain all this, as I know for a fact, that many youngsters can be heavily influenced by what they read on-line on fishing sites like this and especially so, when written by influential anglers!

I agree with everyone else that it was an amusing story, but perhaps better served at a social on the bank or having a beer with the lads at the bar. Perhaps not on an open forum for all to read?

I,m sorry if my posts offended you or anyone else, but I hope some understand my reasons a little better?

Best Fishes,
Darreyl.

Knowing Dazza, and what he does, and has for a long time contributed to the sport, especially for Juniors, I understand his thoughts are heartfelt.

I simply read Stu's account as a "This is not how to do it" report. And that his main reason was to poke fun at himself.

Daz, although it was funny, I think you can take it that anyone reading it, including youngsters, would say.....what a plonker!

And it's only us that know he is also an excellent angler, that can admire the honesty of it.

Take care my old pal, I still have that Stafford picture on the phone!.

Graham

I think we've all had occasions when things don't go according to plan (I once caught a pheasant while overhead casting), although catching four big fish isn't in my experience usually part of the process!

On people's reaction to the story, I have to say that on first read I did agree with some of what darreyl posted. Maybe this is due to the fact that I was speed reading on the bus. After the stink darreyl's reply caused I thought I better re-read the original story. In retrospect it does seem that most of what happened was pure good/bad luck. However I think that darreyl is right, many unknown anglers would have been slated for similar and to give him so much stick seems pretty petty in it's own right.

I have been away from this forum for about four seasons so I don't know what's been going on in the meantime but I do remember tony miles and others getting slated on here back then so I know that **** does happen.

Very funny Albert:)

No offence taken Darreyl, and none meant from me. i'm afraid I take angling a little less seriously nowadays and find it increasingly easy to laugh at myself (and others).
It's a good job I wasn't teaching a load of youngsters on sat as i'm not sure they would have enjoyed swimming around in the Avon, looking for my landing net.:eek:
Enjoy your fishing
Cheers
stuart

While fishing a park lake for carp one very hot summer in my youth I decided to strip down to my boxers and go for a dip to cool off, plus I could hand drop my bait on one of the nice silt spots whilst out there.

About 50 yards out into the lake I started feeling round on the bottom for a nice smooth bit and didn't really notice the swan the other side of the lake ambling around. I did, however, eventually notice when the swan started hissing loudly and REALLY STARTED MOTORING TOWARDS ME. Oh cr*p.

It had reached about 5 yards from me and (after dropping the rig) I was half swimming half legging it out of the water stumbling towards a completely overgrown bank to try and exit the water while a massive angry swan homed in on me flapping about doing a steam train impression.

I reached the bank first and, after throwing myself out of the way of the charging swan, I was delighted to find it was 80% thorns and 20% brambles. I managed to battle my way through 20 yards of undergrowth before jumping over a fence to come out into the nice open air grass area where 6 nice young ladies were having a picnic. :eek:

I was soaked, covered in bleeding scratches and wearing shredded underpants having emerged from the middle of nowhere. I then nonchalantly walked past several families back to my swim where fortunately a couple of friends had turned up to see the whole affair unfold and were more than happy to talk me through the whole incident from their perspective.

I blanked by the way :)

A very funny incident happened to my father many years ago when fishing the Thames at Sutton Courtney weirpools. He was pike fishing with his uncle Walter during very high water conditions. The river had come over the banks in some parts and Dad and his uncle were fishing what had now turned into a peninsula due to the flood. A pike was hooked and Walter proceeded to crank it in with his clothes pole rod and 80lb b.s. line. Dad was waiting with the net as the pike was winched towards the bank when suddenly it took off and flew over his shoulder. Alarmed, he turned round and there was the pike flapping on the bank but no Walter. Seconds later a hand came up which my Dad grabbed and hauled his very irate uncle out of the Thames. In his haste to winch in the pike he had walked backwards, forgetting the new geography of the swim they were fishing.

While fishing a park lake for carp one very hot summer in my youth I decided to strip down to my boxers and go for a dip to cool off, plus I could hand drop my bait on one of the nice silt spots whilst out there.

About 50 yards out into the lake I started feeling round on the bottom for a nice smooth bit and didn't really notice the swan the other side of the lake ambling around. I did, however, eventually notice when the swan started hissing loudly and REALLY STARTED MOTORING TOWARDS ME. Oh cr*p.

It had reached about 5 yards from me and (after dropping the rig) I was half swimming half legging it out of the water stumbling towards a completely overgrown bank to try and exit the water while a massive angry swan homed in on me flapping about doing a steam train impression.

I reached the bank first and, after throwing myself out of the way of the charging swan, I was delighted to find it was 80% thorns and 20% brambles. I managed to battle my way through 20 yards of undergrowth before jumping over a fence to come out into the nice open air grass area where 6 nice young ladies were having a picnic. :eek:

I was soaked, covered in bleeding scratches and wearing shredded underpants having emerged from the middle of nowhere. I then nonchalantly walked past several families back to my swim where fortunately a couple of friends had turned up to see the whole affair unfold and were more than happy to talk me through the whole incident from their perspective.

I blanked by the way :)

Absolute classic!

One for the back page of the Angling mail there Stu.

shoal mentality gone mad they weren't that spooky once the feed went in.

One of my dads top tips....when fishing two rods always carry two landing nets, one secured to a bank stick for resting fish in and one to carry on catching with.......... Maybe worth taking an extra net next time Stu

'I'm In'

Dusk on the river Teme cica 1992. As the shadows lengthened I hovered expectently over my rod waiting for the usual dusk attack from Mr Barbel. My mate ( Keith Mcdonough ) was just out of sight ( but in earshot ) around the bend of the river. A shreik from McDonough indicated that he was first to catch that night ( I'm in! , a la Wilson). I was just thinking lucky sod as I could easily hear that desperate splashing made by a ( very ) large Barbel fighting all the way to the net. I reeled in so that I could pop round to Keith's
( very deep ) swim only to be met by the ghostly apparition of a naked man ( well ,except for underpants ) struggling along the bank with an armful of wet clothes. You have to laugh don't you!
Tight Lines,
G.T.

Oh so many tales to tell....I think I've fallen in to most rivers I've fished over the years as recently as an un-planned trip into the Severn last Winter whilst playing a Pike when the landing stage I stepped onto turned into a sort of surf board and sent me out and down....bloody cold I can tell you and I lost the Pike !!

Knowing Dazza, and what he does, and has for a long time contributed to the sport, especially for Juniors, I understand his thoughts are heartfelt.

I simply read Stu's account as a "This is not how to do it" report. And that his main reason was to poke fun at himself.

Daz, although it was funny, I think you can take it that anyone reading it, including youngsters, would say.....what a plonker!

And it's only us that know he is also an excellent angler, that can admire the honesty of it.

Take care my old pal, I still have that Stafford picture on the phone!.

Graham

Hiya Buddy,

It's been far too long mate! Hope you're keeping and doing well.

So many friends I miss since disappearing back into the shadows a few years ago...please forward my best regards to everyone darn sarf - DJ, Paul etc if you see them?

Some good times mate.

Regards,
Daz.

Back