• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

head torch

Dog ate my new Alpkit Gamma today bloody animal.

He was beaming.

Hi Stu,

Went for the Petzl one myself, it has a 30metre beam and a adjustment that allows you to point the beam directly at your hands or in front when returning to the car. Got sick of spending £3/4 quid each year on cheap versions only for the led's to start going out. Also it has a low battery indicator

Cree headtorches too bright? Buy one with a dimmer!

There are Cree equipped head torches out there that have a dimmer that reduces the output to a low level suitable for small rivers. Not only that but they also have a variable lens which allow the light to be focussed into a tight beam.

The one to go for is the LED Lenser H7 or H7R which uses a rechargeable battery pack.

The LED driver circuit is clever as well, it uses something called pulse width modulation which pulses the current through the lamp, by varying how fast and how long this pulse is you can vary the brightness. As the current is not flowing constantly the battery life is greatly extended. This circuit also maintains the correct current through the LED which improves performance at all light intensities. None of this stuff is on the LED Lenser site. I took mine to bits and figured out what they are doing - marketing probably decided that it was too technical for the general public.

The cheap Chinese Cree head torches do not have the dimmer but run at full tilt all the time so are not as versatile and eat batteries. Also the optics are not of the same standard as the LED Lenser H7.They are excellent pieces of kit and you get the best of both worlds, super-bright or subdued. There is no red LED unfortunately which is a shame. I have found battery life to be really good.

Hi Conrad, Can you recommend a source for rechargable AA Lithium batteries? They last far longer in my lamp.

Happy Christmas

Mick

Hi Conrad, Can you recommend a source for rechargable AA Lithium batteries? They last far longer in my lamp.

Happy Christmas

Mick

Not sure you can get rechargeable Lithiums Mick, i use energizer lithiums myself and i agree, they last for ages, rechargeables i use in things like flashguns and anything that gobbles batteries, the best of these i've used are the Sanyo Eneloops, you can leave them charged for over a year and they are still usable unlike most other rechargeables which have a horrible knack of being flat when you most need them !

Had my Cree a little over 2 seasons now and still going strong. I bought mine from Hong Kong, for about £6 delivered. It takes 3 AAA batterries, battery life is very good, I use mine everyday as an headlight for my short cycle to work and for my night fishing. I generally get a month out of the batteries which I buy from ebay, 24 AAA DURACELL ULTRA ALAKALINE BATTERIES EXP 2017 | eBay for £8.99 delivered I find that very reasonable. In use the Cree is very bright, but it does have a less bright setting which is just a click away. I mostly fish the trent so dont really have much of a problem spooking fish.
I allways thought I would eventually buy a rechargeable Cree, but now I cant really justify it as my initial purchase has been so good and the rechargeable possibly has more to go wrong with it and the price out weighs the purchase.

Got a cree head torch for wading and walking through the cow s***e:eek: and a new petzl for fishing:D

That's what I do as well Paul. The Petzl is perfect for small river fishing as well. I only bought it because I 'mislaid' the LED Lenser one and only had time to call at Go Outdoors in Sheffield. The Petzl is a TIKKA Plus 2, brilliant name eh?

I'm no expert on batteries but I know a man who is, unfortunately he's off work until next week. I'll ask him what he knows about re-chargeable batteries but as far as I'm aware LiOn batteries are not re-chargeable.

That's what I do as well Paul. The Petzl is perfect for small river fishing as well. I only bought it because I 'mislaid' the LED Lenser one and only had time to call at Go Outdoors in Sheffield. The Petzl is a TIKKA Plus 2, brilliant name eh?

I'm no expert on batteries but I know a man who is, unfortunately he's off work until next week. I'll ask him what he knows about re-chargeable batteries but as far as I'm aware LiOn batteries are not re-chargeable.

Hi Conrad, most of my power tools use the LiOn batteries & these are obviously re-chargable, not sure about the little fella's though but would expect them to be available if not now then very soon..I have a problem with my Cree in that if I pack it away the next time I use it the batteries are flat, & it's not getting turned on;) in my bag..I've ended up turning one of the batteries round when I pack it away.

AA or AAA Ni-Mh rechargables a pound a pair at Poundland today

Back