• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

rod repair

The old Prodigy Barbel rods used to go bang with amazing regularity but haven't heard many bad reports of x-flites.......

Did you get yours sorted by Korum Sam??

No they told me they only deal with trade so i've got to get a tackle shop to order the spare from them. Won't be buying any more rods off them any time soon

Sam, you can repair it by inserting a carbon section, fixing it with Araldite, and then whiping over, but it will never feel the same, and you will have lost confidence in it. So best bin it, and put your hand in your pocket and get another.
ATB
Colin

sam, it can be repaired, but it may affect the action of the rod, ??????? and theirs no gaurentee it wont break again at the same point ??? either below or above repair,
if i was you another section mate, to be on the safe side,

Hi Mark why do you ask if the rod was a greys as yesterday i broke my greys 12ft X-flite 1.5/2lbs feeder tip section about 6ins from the tip is this a common problem with them? any help would be great.

cheers Nigel

Yes Nigel lots of story's of X-flites going bang,mine went twice:eek:

mmmm Greys rods Snapping again !!!!!

seem to have heard this a lot especially the old appollo that one used to snap 12" from the tip

Sam, you can repair it by inserting a carbon section, fixing it with Araldite, and then whiping over, but it will never feel the same, and you will have lost confidence in it. So best bin it, and put your hand in your pocket and get another.
ATB
Colin

When repairing a carbon rod it is preferable to use a glass insert or sleeve (or both if it is in a high load area). The reason being that glass tends to be a softer, more flexible material than the carbon of the rod and will retain more of the original curve of the blank when it is over whipped and epoxy sealed.

I have got a light, 2.25lb, carp rod at home (one of a pair) which I carelessly broke about a foot down the top section by walking it into a tree while moving swims the first time I used it. It is an obsolete blank so a replacement was out of the question however I did a temporary repair on it on the bank with an old quiver tip, some super glue and a length of braid to whip over it which lasted all through a close season and probably landed twenty odd fish up to mid twenties before I did a proper insert/sleeve repair on it using sections cut out of a cheap 3Mtr whip the following winter.
That was about five years ago and it's still going strong, in fact I never even notice it either while casting or playing a fish.

PS/Edit, Well done on the job Sam, What are the fringe benefits like?;)

Last edited:
I see the Greys bashers are out in force!:D Shame that the thread is nothing to do with Greys rods. For the record, I have ten Greys rods (Prodigys and X-Flites) of various types, none have gone bang as yet. I'll be sure to let you know if they do.:)

In thirty years (plus) of fishing I've had two rods break on me. One was a Daiwa that succumbed to a wind knot and lost an inch or two of the tip. The other was a Fox that broke inexplicably but was replaced without fuss.

I get the distinct impression that there are some terribly cack handed anglers out there! ;):D

iv had 2, pound and a half tips go on the prodigy specimen rod,the only 2 sections that have ever broke on me..i wouldnt use a greys rod to string up my beans, kack handed chris :)

iv had 2, pound and a half tips go on the prodigy specimen rod,the only 2 sections that have ever broke on me..i wouldnt use a greys rod to string up my beans, kack handed chris :)

Chris,
not for one moment do I doubt that folks have had Greys rods let go on them. Just because I own some doesn't make me some kind of, defend them to the hilt, fanboy. I don't care if you or anyone else hates Greys. I hold no allegiance to any particular manufacturer and can only speak as I find. Believe me, if any of my Greys blow up on me then I'll be as annoyed as anyone else. My initial comment was simply to add balance in the face of the Greys bashers. I'm just puzzled as to why they choose to bitch and whine about Greys on a thread about a broken Korum rod, nothing more.

speak to kevin baynes at anglers work shop he will tell you if it can be fixed.

Custom Built Fishing Rods

Demonstration Facilities Available
Professional Repairs, Alterations and Rebuilds
Tel: 01782 561515
Winpenny Road, Newcastle,Staffs. ST5 7RH
email: kevin@anglersworkshop.co.uk

looks like it would cost £45 for a new section. at that price i think i'd rather put it towards a new shimano/drennan rod.

Kev does great work at very reasonable prices, this is the first time I've seen his name mentioned on here. If you spend 20 minutes with him on his casting field he will put yards on your cast and leave you dazed and confused with his theories of how a rod works.

Last edited:
looks like it would cost £45 for a new section. at that price i think i'd rather put it towards a new shimano/drennan rod.

Thats poor service Sam, I expect they have lost a customer now? I rang Masterline last week as a friend had snapped his 8 year old Wilson Barbel rod, they suplied me with a new section FOC without hesitation. Thats what I call customer service.

Im not bitching and whining about my rod breaking as you put it,just asking if this is a common problem with them.

I see the Greys bashers are out in force!:D Shame that the thread is nothing to do with Greys rods. For the record, I have ten Greys rods (Prodigys and X-Flites) of various types, none have gone bang as yet. I'll be sure to let you know if they do.:)

In thirty years (plus) of fishing I've had two rods break on me. One was a Daiwa that succumbed to a wind knot and lost an inch or two of the tip. The other was a Fox that broke inexplicably but was replaced without fuss.

I get the distinct impression that there are some terribly cack handed anglers out there! ;):D

Chris, i simply asked weather it was a Greys that snapped. There is far too many examples of this happening for us all to be cack handed :) oh and for the record i have fished for over 25 years and only had this happen twice. Both times with my xflite.

Thats poor service Sam, I expect they have lost a customer now? I rang Masterline last week as a friend had snapped his 8 year old Wilson Barbel rod, they suplied me with a new section FOC without hesitation. Thats what I call customer service.

Spot on Mark. Won't buy Korum ever again. Would expect better with such an expensive rod (well it's expensive in my eyes)

Mark

Can't comment on Greys barbel rods but I had a days casting tuition in March with Mark Hutchinson who said that at one of his teaching sessions the group turned up with mainly Greys carp rods and all but one snapped during the day. I think he said 10 or 11 of them went 'bang' but the one that was left was indestructable......

Sam

Bargain second hand Drennan Barbel rod on the classifieds.....and not a million miles from you either ;)

Mark

Can't comment on Greys barbel rods but I had a days casting tuition in March with Mark Hutchinson who said that at one of his teaching sessions the group turned up with mainly Greys carp rods and all but one snapped during the day. I think he said 10 or 11 of them went 'bang' but the one that was left was indestructable......

Sam

Bargain second hand Drennan Barbel rod on the classifieds.....and not a million miles from you either ;)

That doesn't surprise me at all,I'v heard about plenty of Greys carp rods doing the same.

Back