• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

32" Landing Nets

Hi Chris. I personally think if you intend to put a double on the bank a 32 inch triangle is too small. Because the measurement taken is across the diagonal plane a 32 inch triangle is about as long as a 26 inch spoon. A 10-12lb barbel is 28-30 inches long easy.
Ideal barbel net sizes I would recommend would be either 36 triangle or 30 spoon. Both will be around the same length and have a similar useful area to scoop with.

30 spoon on top of 36 triangle View attachment 14623
Rich,
I hope you don’t mind but used your picture on a club forum recently to illustrate the 30” spoon/36” triangle scenario when the old chestnut of round v triangle cropped up.
Regards
Bill

I can add to the spoon/triangle debate now I have experience of both 😅

I bought the Tackle Box Darent Valley extending handle and couldn't decide on the 32 or 36 net from the same range, so bought both! The 32 in my opinion is suitable for fish up to doubles in size, the 36 is certainly more comparable to a 30 spoon in size. The 36 also has slightly deeper mesh than the 32. What I really like about the Tackle Box nets is that the arms are curved when under the tension of being fitted in the spreader block, so it keeps the business end a more usable size/shape as the widest point of the net is 'pinched in' by the tension of the arms. Dead easy to release the arms when you have a fish in the net, and the quality of these Tackle Box items is simply superb. Think the handle, 2 x nets and postage was £91 incl £9 delivery :D

In summary, having used a 30 inch spoon exclusively, I thought a 36 triangle would be massive and awkward to use, and it is not 👍

Last edited:
I can add to the spoon/triangle debate now I have experience of both 😅

I bought the Tackle Box Darent Valley extending handle and couldn't decide on the 32 or 36 net from the same range, so bought both! The 32 in my opinion is suitable for fish up to doubles in size, the 36 is certainly more comparable to a 30 spoon in size. The 36 also has slightly deeper mesh than the 32. What I really like about the Tackle Box nets is that the arms are curved when under the tension of being fitted in the spreader block, so it keeps the business end a more usable size/shape as the widest point of the net is 'pinched in' by the tension of the arms. Dead easy to release the arms when you have a fish in the net, and the quality of these Tackle Box items is simply superb. Think the handle, 2 x nets and postage was £91 incl £9 delivery :D

In summary, having used a 30 inch spoon exclusively, I thought a 36 triangle would be massive and awkward to use, and it is not 👍
Hi Rob,
Would you mind measuring the 36 net arm to arm when it is 'pinched' In please. Basically the width when it's attached to the spreader (in use).
Thanks.

Steve

They are really decent nets but waaaaaay too shallow. Actually the spreader block is pretty bloody awesome. Very strong indeed
I had both the 32 and 36 and moved them on. Something like 600mm at the deepest which is rubbish.
my net now is a no name. Guy on eBay Ray something puts them together and coats them in (proper) rubber. £50 apiece mind but there’s nothing around remotely like them.
I’ve got the 36 for barbel which is 900 deep and the 42 for pike which is 1100 deep. The mesh holes are a nice 1/2 inch so great in heavy flow. Metal spreader that interchanges between the two nets.
Drennan or Korum have never bought a net out that touch these nets imo. View attachment 14621View attachment 14622
You got a link Richard?

I got a 36" from him a little while back. Excellent net plus a solid spreader block.

Back