• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2022

Bill Walford

Senior Member & Supporter
I’m off ! First session after tinca today and landed six in total. 6lb 14oz the biggest backed up by another at 6-11. Unfortunately also lost three, two thru’ hook pulls but one thru’ hooklink failure. Won’t be using fluoro again for tenching, lost three or four last year for same reason and thought it was down to a “new” loop knot I started using but this one parted midway ‘tween the hook and the loop. Anyone else experienced problems with short fluoro links ?

I’m off ! First session after tinca today and landed six in total. 6lb 14oz the biggest backed up by another at 6-11. Unfortunately also lost three, two thru’ hook pulls but one thru’ hooklink failure. Won’t be using fluoro again for tenching, lost three or four last year for same reason and thought it was down to a “new” loop knot I started using but this one parted midway ‘tween the hook and the loop. Anyone else experienced problems with short fluoro links ?
Never had an issue in the past using 10lb IQ and IQ soft, but nowadays just use Preston reflo mono in 0.19 or 0.21mm for short 3-4" helicopter rigs.

Which fluoro Bill? I've had probs with Grand Max Soft Plus, but that is soft, and it is thin (for its BS) ... so you don't get owt f'nowt eh.
BTW .... congrats on the "off" :D

Never had an issue in the past using 10lb IQ and IQ soft, but nowadays just use Preston reflo mono in 0.19 or 0.21mm for short 3-4" helicopter rigs.
Went over to 10lb bs Amnesia after loosing the fish Joe and that saw me thru’. Will use the remains of that but will keep the Preston in mind for future. Cheers 👍

Which fluoro Bill? I've had probs with Grand Max Soft Plus, but that is soft, and it is thin (for its BS) ... so you don't get owt f'nowt eh.
BTW .... congrats on the "off" It was Berkley Trilene so a reputable brand not some Micky mouse labelled stuff. Funny part about it it landed me a number of Barbel back in the autumn including my new PB of 14-04 but I was then using long hooklinks. I just seem to have trouble with the short 4” Tench rigs.

BTW .... congrats on the "off" :D
It was Berkley Trilene Terry so a reputable brand and not some Micky Mouse tackle company label. Funny thing is it landed me several good Barbel last autumn in low water conditions but of course I was using much longer links. It’s just the short 4” Tench rigs I’m having issues with ☹️

Interesting thread.

I use Soft plus for some reservoir fly fishing (10.4) and in 19lb for permit tippets (and carp combi hooklinks). I don’t think I’ve ever broken it on a fish. I think it’s fantastic stuff. I’m going tenching shortly and plan to use it on my maggot/caster rods.

There was a recent thread on a fly fishing forum about droppers snapping….The person concerned was making trout leaders with 7 or 8 lb Fluoro and the droppers were consistently snapping (halfway down) whilst playing fish, whereas the main body of the leader didn’t break. My take on that is that the short droppers are breaking because of a lack of stretch. The longer leader body doesn’t have the same problem. My solution would be to use a heavier Fluoro…..or switch to a stretchier mono.

Ive also used light (15lb) coated braid for tench rigs - simply strip to suit. Or use a soft braid and stiffen 60% at the swivel end with superglue. Both set ups benefit from the addition of a small PVA bag.

I have mentioned on here numerous times with regard to barbel fishing.

Using fluro in very short lengths combined with a low stretch mono or braided main line is a recipe for lost fish due to snapped line
Totally agree, there has to be some 'give' in the system. I had a massive problem with Drennan Double Strength many years ago, snapping off of the strike whilst chub fishing Staffordshire's streams. Changed my rod and my mainline and problem solved.
N.b... problem I've had with Soft Plus is abrasion resistance ... i.e. it doesn't appear to have any/much. But for surface/fly fishing that wouldn't be an issue I guess.

I use Berkley Trilene for barbel/chub fishing last season, not have problem with it. Even landed a 10lb pike with it, but I use 10"+ of it, I guess that's why?

I was thinking of using it for tench next week, now I need to rethink. Thanks Bill.

Thanks for your input fella’s. Proves the point that you (me) are never too old to learn 👍

A real red letter day for me today. Went back to the gravel pit and conditions so totally different from yesterday. Was able to cast and bait accurately and ended up with eight tincas the biggest going 7lb 2oz and supported by three sixes and four fives, smallest a 5lb 6oz bad tempered scrapper. Please forgive me crowing chaps but I’m buzzing!
On a technical note I stuck with the 10lb Amnesia hook link and all fine, none of the previous documented saga so that’s my way forward, this spring at least! Great sport on my 1.75TC Barbel Seekers with maggot feeders at 35yards.

Good to see that tinca(ing) with your hooklength material has lead to even greater success. You seem to be so in tune with your quarry that you’ve probably got little red eyes😜.

Good to see that tinca(ing) with your hooklength material has lead to even greater success. You seem to be so in tune with your quarry that you’ve probably got little red eyes😜.
There’ll be a few red eyes on my part with the early mornings I’ve planned for this spring Kev but why fester in bed on a spring morning when you can be out Tenching 😁

Well done Bill.
Great catch. Kent the place for tench, that's for sure.
Thank you Graham, I’ve got a couple of other club lakes to try without getting on the band wagon of the Medway Valley which is the home of some real whoppers. Perhaps another season but happy doing what I’m doing and learning along the way 👍

Oh well third time unlucky! Nowt, zilch not a sniff today. Back Thursday for another go 😁
Anyone else out Tenching yet? Would be great to hear what’s happening round the country. Keeps the forum turning over as well 👍

Oh well third time unlucky! Nowt, zilch not a sniff today. Back Thursday for another go 😁
Anyone else out Tenching yet? Would be great to hear what’s happening round the country. Keeps the forum turning over as well 👍
Planning my first tench session this weekend, hopefully I will have time to get some maggots.

Back