• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2022

Joe, Bill

There’s an article in the new Tenchfishers bulletin that talks about mouth damage and the Tench in Sywell a while back. You’re both probably aware of it
I'm no longer in the tenchfishers Dave, dropped out few years back after forgetting to renew, kind of keep meaning to join again as I recall 'tenchfisher' was always an excellent read. Would be really interested to see the article if your able to PM me a photo or scan of it please?

I was lucky enough to one of the first to go back to Sywell at the start of its second ‘golden’ period (mid 80’s). The fish were pristine and pushing up to 8lb and hardly anybody was there !

I fished there a bit for 2 or 3 seasons including in Springtime and the fishing was fantastic. BUT the fish were starting to deteriorate and I stopped going there at that point. The fish grew much bigger over the next few seasons……

What caused the mouth damage is debatable and I haven’t seen that article. But apart from simple fishing pressure/repeat captures, 2 things happened over that time frame: we developed the short hooklink bolt rig and then the majority switched to boilies about 2 seasons later.
I fished it a couple of times long after the hey days, circa 2003-05. It was very hard going, but we pretty much had the place to ourselves - no jostling for position in the mornings or the unseemly race to the oaks that mates had experienced back in the day. It's a really lovely place.

Last I heard about the place was it was still a hard venue but some big tench were still about, but that also the weed was on a different level to the past and that chod type rigs were required. I also heard it had been extensively restocked with tench about 5 years ago?

Joe, Bill

There’s an article in the new Tenchfishers bulletin that talks about mouth damage and the Tench in Sywell a while back. You’re both probably aware of it
Thanks for the heads up Dave. My copy of Bulletin landed on the mat yesterday but have only thumbed thru’ it at the moment 👍

I fished it a couple of times long after the hey days, circa 2003-05. It was very hard going, but we pretty much had the place to ourselves - no jostling for position in the mornings or the unseemly race to the oaks that mates had experienced back in the day. It's a really lovely place.

Last I heard about the place was it was still a hard venue but some big tench were still about, but that also the weed was on a different level to the past and that chod type rigs were required. I also heard it had been extensively restocked with tench about 5 years ago?
Never fished it but will be going this spring as I’m on the Tenchfishers fish in there in June. Quite a bit of stocking has gone on in recent years and it produced fish to 9lb in last years TF fish in.

A Red Letter Day yesterday on a local Mere, sorry I will have sore lips now after blowing my own trumpet.....

Started the session at 05.45 and finished at 18.30
Sixteen runs fifteen fish landed, first fish just under 2lbs all the rest over 5lb, two biggest 6lb 8oz and 7lb 13oz a new pb and a small Roach ( not counted as a run as it was a bleep)
All fish to in line maggot feeder with four or five maggots on the hook (size 8 Drennan SS) hooklink was 3" fluro, just lost one fish to a break in the hooklink, no idea why.
One spomb of combined maggot, hemp and crushed corn in each spot start and then one spomb after each fish.
Used my "old skool" Optonic Super Compacts bite alarms, original Fox Swingers, second hand Drennan rods and Shimano 4000D reels purchased off here from a certain Richard Isaacs ! I had said to Richard they were purchased for a new pb Tench! I think the reels may need a service now😁

Luck plays a part in fishing IMHO, yesterday I was just lucky to be on the fish, I had two spells of no action totaling about three hours. It was however my best Tench haul ever and the euphoria is still with me😀 It was last century since I had a five pounder before I joined this particular club four years so I was going to get some good fish if I put a few sessions in as the water has a history of good Tench. This was the fourth session, with one blank and six Tench and two Eels in other two sessions.

Unfortunately some of the fish had mouth damage again down to carp hooks I suspect, given the fact that the water has an abundance of lilies I don't think this will improve for the Tench.

As part of my celebrations I had fish fingers, chips and baked beans for tea yesterday, tonight is my last of celebration so I will have Steak and Kidney pudding on a muffin (barm cake to posh people) with mushy peas, chips and tomato sauce.

Thank you for reading......

A Red Letter Day yesterday on a local Mere, sorry I will have sore lips now after blowing my own trumpet.....

Started the session at 05.45 and finished at 18.30
Sixteen runs fifteen fish landed, first fish just under 2lbs all the rest over 5lb, two biggest 6lb 8oz and 7lb 13oz a new pb and a small Roach ( not counted as a run as it was a bleep)
All fish to in line maggot feeder with four or five maggots on the hook (size 8 Drennan SS) hooklink was 3" fluro, just lost one fish to a break in the hooklink, no idea why.
One spomb of combined maggot, hemp and crushed corn in each spot start and then one spomb after each fish.
Used my "old skool" Optonic Super Compacts bite alarms, original Fox Swingers, second hand Drennan rods and Shimano 4000D reels purchased off here from a certain Richard Isaacs ! I had said to Richard they were purchased for a new pb Tench! I think the reels may need a service now😁

Luck plays a part in fishing IMHO, yesterday I was just lucky to be on the fish, I had two spells of no action totaling about three hours. It was however my best Tench haul ever and the euphoria is still with me😀 It was last century since I had a five pounder before I joined this particular club four years so I was going to get some good fish if I put a few sessions in as the water has a history of good Tench. This was the fourth session, with one blank and six Tench and two Eels in other two sessions.

Unfortunately some of the fish had mouth damage again down to carp hooks I suspect, given the fact that the water has an abundance of lilies I don't think this will improve for the Tench.

As part of my celebrations I had fish fingers, chips and baked beans for tea yesterday, tonight is my last of celebration so I will have Steak and Kidney pudding on a muffin (barm cake to posh people) with mushy peas, chips and tomato sauce.

Thank you for reading......
What a great day, well caught Tony. Congratulations on the new PB. You blow that trumpet and I applaud your grub. I could go fish fingers now that you’ve planted the seed 🤣
Thank you for posting and I look forward to your next report 👍👍👍

I’m really enjoying this thread. I’ve been inspired by Bill’s continuing success and now others are filling their boots👍. Having received invaluable advice, I have started to assemble some kit. I think my Chimera 2’s or 3’s with 5000xtea’s should suffice. Indicators, alarms and terminal gear all in place. It is evident that most of those enjoying success are employing a spomb and whilst I have Midi spombs, they have never got wet!. I have ageing 2 1/2lbs carp rods that may serve as a marker rod. The obvious hole in my armoury is a suitable rod for spombing. There seems to be a plethora of really cheap spod rods on the market but doubt if they are up to much or are really necessary. Advice on a suitable rod would be much appreciated. Not looking for “top end” at this point as not sure how often it’ll be used.
Lastly, would one of my “old school” Shimano 8010GT’s with 30lbs braid be suitable to allow me to dip my toe into the “dark art” of spombing.
Keep those catch reports coming guys👍.

I’m really enjoying this thread. I’ve been inspired by Bill’s continuing success and now others are filling their boots👍. Having received invaluable advice, I have started to assemble some kit. I think my Chimera 2’s or 3’s with 5000xtea’s should suffice. Indicators, alarms and terminal gear all in place. It is evident that most of those enjoying success are employing a spomb and whilst I have Midi spombs, they have never got wet!. I have ageing 2 1/2lbs carp rods that may serve as a marker rod. The obvious hole in my armoury is a suitable rod for spombing. There seems to be a plethora of really cheap spod rods on the market but doubt if they are up to much or are really necessary. Advice on a suitable rod would be much appreciated. Not looking for “top end” at this point as not sure how often it’ll be used.
Lastly, would one of my “old school” Shimano 8010GT’s with 30lbs braid be suitable to allow me to dip my toe into the “dark art” of spombing.
Chimera 2's make good tench rods Kevin. You'll be able to cast a 50g black-cap or 40g method feeder as far as you need for tench. The action is soft enough to reduce the chances of hook-pull.

Re spombing - no right or wrong answer for this one. If your fishing at shortish range (<30 yards), you should get away with casting a mini-spomb with your C3 as they are about 3oz in weight when fully loaded. I tend to use a midi spomb or medium fox-impact spod which are roughly the same size, about 4oz when fully loaded, but I find it easier to cast them with a soft-tipped marker rod which has a nomimal test curve of about 3.25lb. Because of the lighter TC (compared to a spod rod) and the soft tip I find it easier to cast it 30-50 yards. If I want to spomb at bigger distances or with bigger spombs (which is very rare for tench) I use a 4.5lb tc spod rod.

You won't need to spend big money on a spomb rod thats for sure, not unless your Terry Edmonds and intent on casting to the moon, you'll find plenty of bargains on EBAY. If you wanting something new then I'd look at the DVS S&M from the Tackle Box which has a lifetime guarantee:

https://www.tacklebox.co.uk/rods-en...ent-valley-spod-marker-rod-12ft-4lb-50mm.html

Or have a look for a cheap 3.5lb TC carp or pike rod if your just using midi spombs.

As far as a reel is concerned, if your using smaller spombs and short range then your 8000 GTE will suffice at a push, but personably I prefer a big pit workhorse reel which makes casting longer distances easier and more importantly quicker work on the retrieve. Something like an old Shimano Biomaster 7000 is ideal, you can pick them up for around £30 on ebay. For midi/med spombs I just use 8lb diawa sensor with a bog standard (15-40lb) tapered nylon shock leader and I've yet to have a crack-off with no need for a finger stall.

Joe is spot on

Chimera 2s are excellent short to mid range tench rods matched with those reels. There a bit soft for anything longer range but should do you very well

Your chimera 3s will be good for shorter range spombing. I have one of the Tackle box spod and marker rods Joe linked to and with your Shimano 8010s you won’t need anything else unless you’re slinging spombs over 80 yards. Great value. I use a casting finger glove if I’m whacking it out using braid, I’m not sure you’ll need one for smaller spombs and/or shorter distances. If you want to get a bigger reel I got an okuma spodding reel which came with free braid last season, I’ve not used it much but it seems robust and has good line clips which you need with a spodding reel.

30lb braid will probably be fine, I’d go a bit heavier but look at diameter not the breaking strain for comparison.

If it’s shorter distances and you’re using smaller spombs you might just be better using the same rod you do for your hookbait. Provided you aren’t putting too much strain on the line and risking crack offs it means much better accuracy than you get from braid which doesnt stretch.

Last edited:
Thanks to both Joe and Dave for their input. Tackle Box is closer than most of my fishing so will definitely look at their Darent Valley S and M rod. Didn’t realise that they did such a rod, but I’ve been impressed by others in the range. Top advice as always. Thanks guys.

Blanked today….unless an Eel counts ☹️

Also blanked. Saw fish moving on top of weed but they would not get heads down. Frustrating day.
Not helped by NE wind. 2 others blanked.

Also blanked. Saw fish moving on top of weed but they would not get heads down. Frustrating day.
Not helped by NE wind. 2 others blanked.
Many years ago I once caught several 7+ fish from Johnson’s in Kent by fishing lobworms on a Dyson rig (pike fishing paternoster) to hold them static above a weed bed.

A bit mad, but it worked.

Back