• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new record fish

Absolutely..I just don't get it when a fish over the record weight don't get claimed.
I kind of empathise with not wanting to have it known, but can't help but think some are looking for this halfway house whereby some locals know who caught it but that's it.

Please 😂 carp anglers name their fish, they love a circus 😂
no !! mate
most River carp anglers are very secretive the Thames has had some HUGE Barbel landed by carp anglers that have 100% broken the record but they are not reported simply because the places where these huge Barbel live normally is where the huge Carp are too

its very hard to find to them its a huge disappointment when sometimes after months of work tracking down and locating these huge nomadic River Thames Carp then eventually getting a bite and it turns out to be a Barbel bit like you getting a big double figure bream

but more too the point if they reported the Barbel hoards of record hunting Barbel anglers would arrive and good bye any chance of that fifty pound plus Carp
trust me I have a mate thats done 40 odd years just on the Thames the gigantic Pike. EELs ,Chub ,Bream ,Barbel, Roach even Salmon !! he has caught and the Carp OMG !! some of the most beautiful Carp I have ever seen

Fairly sure it won't be The Gt Ouse. Wouldn't be surprised if it's The Trent. I'd love it to be the The Severn, be about time.

no !! mate
most River carp anglers are very secretive the Thames has had some HUGE Barbel landed by carp anglers that have 100% broken the record but they are not reported simply because the places where these huge Barbel live normally is where the huge Carp are too

its very hard to find to them its a huge disappointment when sometimes after months of work tracking down and locating these huge nomadic River Thames Carp then eventually getting a bite and it turns out to be a Barbel bit like you getting a big double figure bream

but more too the point if they reported the Barbel hoards of record hunting Barbel anglers would arrive and good bye any chance of that fifty pound plus Carp
trust me I have a mate thats done 40 odd years just on the Thames the gigantic Pike. EELs ,Chub ,Bream ,Barbel, Roach even Salmon !! he has caught and the Carp OMG !! some of the most beautiful Carp I have ever seen
record has been broken twice that i know of on the thames … both by carp anglers

Doing a very good job of keeping it quiet don't you think?

no !! mate

I absolutely get it as well.
Special fish or not …… if it’s not the intended species, it just doesn’t feel that special.
We are not match or part time pleasure anglers fishing for bites, we are specimen anglers targeting one fish……. Anything else despite its rarity just isn’t a success.

I’ve had loads of chub at 6+ roach over 1.5 and Rudd over 2, river bream over double and river carp and tench to good sizes.
Can’t honestly say I remember weighing any of them and no photos either. It just doesn’t hold the credit that it should when it comes out on barbel gear.

My good friend had a tench that was just under 12lb from a big pit carp fishing. It got weighed and a Matt shot but he still says he blanked. Crazy!

Oh and the biggest pike caught on one of my local venues which wasn’t that far off the magic 30 this year came out on 2 popped up boilies intended for carp.

Again not really that bothered as it wasn’t what he wanted. Fish of a lifetime to a river piker

It all depends on how you would like to frame it doesn't it?

That’s because they want to protect their fishing also they haven’t got the slightest bit of interest in barbel and thirdly why would you claim a barbel record if you were fishing for carp
That kind of contradicts the fact that they weighed it and told their friends about it. Not judging, just analysing the facts. Also would like to point out I am in no way inclined to get involved in fishing politics.

100% for protecting the fish and the environments they live in. So I agree, and I'm almost certain that I wouldn't claim a barbel record even though I target them. Again due to the politics involved in such claims.

However something reeks of contradictions when others say I don't count this fish, I blanked, I wasn't targeting it, yet I'll weigh it have a photo and then tell my friends of my terrible achievement....

If someone tells me they don't count their 20lb barbel and they don't have the slightest interest in it, I will probably reply with then why are you telling me about it.

Get what your saying Anthony I suppose it was weighed because of the sheer bloody size of it….I’ve seen the photos and it looks immense……the only person was told was his bait sponsor that’s who showed me the pics…all I know it was just over 23 and from the Thames

That kind of contradicts the fact that they weighed it and told their friends about it. Not judging, just analysing the facts. Also would like to point out I am in no way inclined to get involved in fishing politics.

100% for protecting the fish and the environments they live in. So I agree, and I'm almost certain that I wouldn't claim a barbel record even though I target them. Again due to the politics involved in such claims.

However something reeks of contradictions when others say I don't count this fish, I blanked, I wasn't targeting it, yet I'll weigh it have a photo and then tell my friends of my terrible achievement....

If someone tells me they don't count their 20lb barbel and they don't have the slightest interest in it, I will probably reply with then why are you telling me about it.
😂😂😂😂😂😂

I have heard of 2 places on the Thames both have a Barbel that gets caught fairly often and a known fish amongst the Carp anglers both fish are around 20 plus one place is only accessible by boat

AND yes when they get caught some of them weigh it just out of interest
that PROVES NOTHING other than the fact its eating the bait that they use and they chat amongst them selves some of these dedicated guys fish a season for just a handful of fish

((If someone tells me they don't count their 20lb barbel and they don't have the slightest interest in it, I will probably reply with then why are you telling me about it.))
I was told because he is my mate and knows I now only fish for Barbel and also knows I will keep my mouth shut and wants me to catch it sadly it coincided with my health problems and I cant fish but in this past 12 months its been out and put on weight and I get updated

if I do recover and get to catch it I wont tell anyone about it either as its a personal thing some people dont need to massage the Ego`s

Back