• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floats

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone I really hope you enjoy using them! I didn’t want to start a company to take over the float world, just simply to get what I wanted and cover the cost. Most anglers collect be it floats, reels, rods, lures etc, we are as Brian says drawn to it. It’s just I took a punt out of frustration and became the owner of over 1500 new floats, I didn’t tell my wife….. I have been having some enjoyment posting them off and have had some great feedback. I’ll take everyone’s needs in mind and have a few new prototypes in the pipeline to cover various niches such as a ‘Stumpy’ big float for very shallow water and a bigger Big Float. Another I looked at over 15 years ago and never progressed were improved stick floats. I’ll look at smaller sizes as others have mentioned. Feed me your needs and we can see if we can do something to sort them!

Thanks Andy

If you could make some of these, I'd be very happy.

IMG_1674.JPG

Maybe it is just me, I prefer the floats with multi colour tip, better bite detection and can adjust the depth more accurately.

I agree, I think multi coloured would often make things worse. I ca see a two colour might help at times for instance 1/2 orange, 1/2 black. Being interchangeable you can of course stick in whatever you fancy or adapt to suit

If you're trotting them 40 yards plus down a river ( which is what they're designed for ) I doubt that a multi coloured tip would make much difference
I agree, I think multi coloured would often make things worse. I ca see a two colour might help at times for instance 1/2 orange, 1/2 black. Being interchangeable you can of course stick in whatever you fancy or adapt to suit
Yes and No, I agree in general they will not make much difference. From my own experience, with different lighting and water condition, sometimes you can not see the float clearly. With multi colour, especially red, yellow, orange and black, the situation improved a lot, that's why I like it.

Received my batch this morning too. They are excellent and I will endeavour to put them to good use in the coming months. Quality product at a sensible price and with great service too - perhaps you should go into business Andy!

Dave

My set arrived this morning. Many thanks Andy. They look a serious bit of kit. Hoping to use one to guide some bread towards a roach next weekend.

For those who previously expressed an interest and any one else who is interested my long awaited order of floats has arrived, just in time for the winter river fishing! These are designed to exceed others in design and quality and fill a niche where nothing was just right. Built to last and not let you down they are all made of a tough structural foam called Rohacell, often found in aircraft and sports cars. Advantages over balsa are;

• Precise float loadings, the material does not vary in density like balsa.
• It is stronger than balsa
• It will not crack or adversely age
• The paint sticks to it!
• Even if it is damaged it will not absorb water

The two current designs are;

‘All Round’, a truly versatile bolo type float.

Does what it says on the tin, it is a clever shape, a nice shoulder - not too round that can be held back in the current without wobbling or simply run with the current. The larger sizes allow precise control and therefore improved bait presentation. The floats have 4.5mm interchangeable tips, both colour and length, a Starlight could also be fitted, a selection of tips will be supplied with each order as is a length of silicon tube to fit the 1.5mm stems. The thicker tips mean a variety of baits, small and large, maggots to bread flake can easily be fished. Interchangeable tips provide the ability to change the length or colour of the float tip in seconds allowing you to quickly adapt to changing river and light conditions and not strain to see the float; less has it or hasn’t it moments! Great when roving different swims and as light fades into evening.
‘Big Float’, long range and big baits!

The second is my favourite, 'Big Float',

I have used this pattern for several years until the supply dried up. They are great for big baits, long range and dragging baits along the bottom. The thick tip is obviously very visible, the shape allows for a big bait or different types of bait to be used whilst still ‘fishing properly’, i.e. not dragging down or sticking the body out. The shape also means it is a lot easier to set the hook at range as it exits the water cleanly, the larger sizes allow the line to be ‘mended’ at distance without the float moving off it’s line or a soft bait like bread being pulled off the hook – essential for those winter chub.
I am taking orders now so pm me your requirements and email address and I will reply with an invoice. All floats are just £2 each and postage is £4.50 by Royal Mail 1st class.
Orders over £40 get free P&P (UK mainland only! Please contact me for other areas).
All Round is available in 4.5, 6.5 and 8.5gr
Big Float is available in 6.5 and 8.5gr
Please supply your preferred tip colour orange or red.

View attachment 17135View attachment 17137View attachment 17139View attachment 17140.
I'm giving this a bump in time for the start of the new river season.

I've just received the 11gr Big Float, this takes a 10gr olivette plus another gram of droppers and bait. Ideal for big baits on big rivers such as the Wye, Trent and Severn.

These sell at £2.50 each (the rest of the range is currently £2 each).

Send me a PM if you want to place an order or have any questions.

Many thanks to all those who have already purchased some and given me such great feedback!

Andy

Attachments

• 11gr big float.JPG
    11gr big float.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 249
  • Big Float 11-6gr.JPG
    Big Float 11-6gr.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_3822.JPG
    IMG_3822.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 237
I've not lost a single one of the floats I've had from Andrew. I'm ordering a few more though.

I have spent ages over the years looking for the right floats for certain applications for what I want with size; a lot only go up to 6gr; shape; many are to round, subsequently the water makes them wobble as it pushes past when you hold back rather than goes round the body and stem material; I like carbon or glass as it sits better in the water IMO. Plus many just fall apart or the paint falls off. Now I've decided to get my own floats made as I just cannot get what I want anymore.

The first prototype samples arrived today after nearly 4 months in transit thanks to the Post Office, DHL to the rescue!

I'm very pleased with them. I will be selling some as I'm probably not going to use a minimum order quantity myself and I would hope they will also meet the requirements of others who fish with bigger floats and baits. They are a tough foam not balsa so they are strong, have precise loading and will not absorb water if they do get damaged.

I will do 4.5, 6.5 and 8.5gr to start. The 1/2 gram is to allow for easy selection of olivettes and leaves some capacity for dropper shot.
In the first pic the two on the left are 'All Round' and do what it says on the tin having interchangeable tips, both colour and length, a Starlight could also be fitted. The photo on the right shows the 4.5mm, 35 and 50mm length tips fitted. They will come with both.

The float on the far right is a traditional shape with a fixed 4.5 x 40mm tip.

The third is my favourite, 'Big Float', I have used this pattern for several years until the supply dried up. They are great for big baits and long range. The thick tip is obviously very visible and the shape allows for a big baits or different types of bait, to be used whilst still fishing properly, i.e. not dragging down or sticking the body out. The shape also means it is a lot easier to set the hook at range as it exits the water cleanly. A 'Stumpy' with a shorter body and tip will be added enabling a quick change in float where shallow swims are encountered.

I'm interested to hear from others who fish with larger floats and problems they have. Also, I'm not hoping to compete with other companies just make what I and hopefully others see as a solution to a problem that has frustrated for years.

View attachment 15117View attachment 15118
They look great and I love the idea of the starlight fitting option, that will open up a whole new world of night time trotting. I'd be interested, at some point in the future for sure!

I'm giving this a bump in time for the start of the new river season.

I've just received the 11gr Big Float, this takes a 10gr olivette plus another gram of droppers and bait. Ideal for big baits on big rivers such as the Wye, Trent and Severn.

These sell at £2.50 each (the rest of the range is currently £2 each).

Send me a PM if you want to place an order or have any questions.

Many thanks to all those who have already purchased some and given me such great feedback!

Andy
Can you make em sliders?

Back