• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floats

Andrew Burt

I have spent ages over the years looking for the right floats for certain applications for what I want with size; a lot only go up to 6gr; shape; many are to round, subsequently the water makes them wobble as it pushes past when you hold back rather than goes round the body and stem material; I like carbon or glass as it sits better in the water IMO. Plus many just fall apart or the paint falls off. Now I've decided to get my own floats made as I just cannot get what I want anymore.

The first prototype samples arrived today after nearly 4 months in transit thanks to the Post Office, DHL to the rescue!

I'm very pleased with them. I will be selling some as I'm probably not going to use a minimum order quantity myself and I would hope they will also meet the requirements of others who fish with bigger floats and baits. They are a tough foam not balsa so they are strong, have precise loading and will not absorb water if they do get damaged.

I will do 4.5, 6.5 and 8.5gr to start. The 1/2 gram is to allow for easy selection of olivettes and leaves some capacity for dropper shot.
In the first pic the two on the left are 'All Round' and do what it says on the tin having interchangeable tips, both colour and length, a Starlight could also be fitted. The photo on the right shows the 4.5mm, 35 and 50mm length tips fitted. They will come with both.

The float on the far right is a traditional shape with a fixed 4.5 x 40mm tip.

The third is my favourite, 'Big Float', I have used this pattern for several years until the supply dried up. They are great for big baits and long range. The thick tip is obviously very visible and the shape allows for a big baits or different types of bait, to be used whilst still fishing properly, i.e. not dragging down or sticking the body out. The shape also means it is a lot easier to set the hook at range as it exits the water cleanly. A 'Stumpy' with a shorter body and tip will be added enabling a quick change in float where shallow swims are encountered.

I'm interested to hear from others who fish with larger floats and problems they have. Also, I'm not hoping to compete with other companies just make what I and hopefully others see as a solution to a problem that has frustrated for years.

IMG-2976.JPG
IMG-2977.JPG

They look fantastic Andrew. The longer tips are a real boon for trotting at distance.
Especially as ones eyes get older! Also the slimmer profile of the range will help

I definitely want some
You are on the list! Hopefully this year our plans to have a fish together will not be scuppered as often :( I know what you mean about the eyes...... :) Being able to blacken a tip and then just change it back to a coloured will help me especially on the Severn.

Looks good. Looks good for the Bolo method as well. My only observation would be the eye. A good fixed eye is important on a float that could get dragged through weeds and the like. Lots of Carp fishing floats have a spring eye fixed to the tip.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Looks good. Looks good for the Bolo method as well. My only observation would be the eye. A good fixed eye is important on a float that could get dragged through weeds and the like. Lots of Carp fishing floats have a spring eye fixed to the tip.

Not a criticism, just an observation.
Thanks Simon, I must admit to never using the eye and was maybe going to omit it completely much preferring a piece of tube on the tip. As the float is not made of balsa I don't see it getting ripped out as so much of an issue as I remember it to be when carp fishing.

A really good idea Andrew working with them to get what you want. I have some of their starlight and lighter floats and they are very well made. The white Starlight seals work very well and are very secure I always wondered why they did not make more floats suited to the UK market, now the do.

I'm interested as well. How and where will they be available?
Two good questions! I will not have 1000's of each size and have no intention of trying to start a big business so I'll sell them via pm on here, via friends and Facebook etc. I'll bump the post now and then. As for the when, I have placed the order and was told this afternoon it could be early 2022 due to the amount of orders being processed. Last month it was delivery in August. Considering originally I should have received them in February, placed the order by March and I would have had them for June. :mad:

They look good.

My two local rivers are the H. Avon and D. Stour but I rarely use a large (8gr-10gr) Avon style float. I much prefer a chubber or a fat waggler, loaded or not, at that weight/mass The depth of swim is the main decider together with how I think the barbel/chub are responding to the olivette or bulk shot passing close by.

I do have plenty of smaller Avons in a variety of sizes, materials and tips so I'm sorry I wont be buying any more!

My favourite commercially available floats are a selection of Clearwater Solutions "river" floats which go to 10gr. I also have a few from Dave Harrell as well. But for anything heavier I've created similar to approx 12gr/13gr which come out occasionally!

For those who previously expressed an interest and any one else who is interested my long awaited order of floats has arrived, just in time for the winter river fishing! These are designed to exceed others in design and quality and fill a niche where nothing was just right. Built to last and not let you down they are all made of a tough structural foam called Rohacell, often found in aircraft and sports cars. Advantages over balsa are;

• Precise float loadings, the material does not vary in density like balsa.
• It is stronger than balsa
• It will not crack or adversely age
• The paint sticks to it!
• Even if it is damaged it will not absorb water

The two current designs are;

‘All Round’, a truly versatile bolo type float.

Does what it says on the tin, it is a clever shape, a nice shoulder - not too round that can be held back in the current without wobbling or simply run with the current. The larger sizes allow precise control and therefore improved bait presentation. The floats have 4.5mm interchangeable tips, both colour and length, a Starlight could also be fitted, a selection of tips will be supplied with each order as is a length of silicon tube to fit the 1.5mm stems. The thicker tips mean a variety of baits, small and large, maggots to bread flake can easily be fished. Interchangeable tips provide the ability to change the length or colour of the float tip in seconds allowing you to quickly adapt to changing river and light conditions and not strain to see the float; less has it or hasn’t it moments! Great when roving different swims and as light fades into evening.
‘Big Float’, long range and big baits!

The second is my favourite, 'Big Float',

I have used this pattern for several years until the supply dried up. They are great for big baits, long range and dragging baits along the bottom. The thick tip is obviously very visible, the shape allows for a big bait or different types of bait to be used whilst still ‘fishing properly’, i.e. not dragging down or sticking the body out. The shape also means it is a lot easier to set the hook at range as it exits the water cleanly, the larger sizes allow the line to be ‘mended’ at distance without the float moving off it’s line or a soft bait like bread being pulled off the hook – essential for those winter chub.
I am taking orders now so pm me your requirements and email address and I will reply with an invoice. All floats are just £2 each and postage is £4.50 by Royal Mail 1st class.
Orders over £40 get free P&P (UK mainland only! Please contact me for other areas).
All Round is available in 4.5, 6.5 and 8.5gr
Big Float is available in 6.5 and 8.5gr
Please supply your preferred tip colour orange or red.

IMG_3822.JPG
IMG_3818.JPG
b74c669f-2ffa-427a-8b93-059501f7a641.JPG
IMG_3675.JPG

@Andrew Burt Do you think these can be used for slider fishing or convert to a slider float? Thanks.
It would need converting. I’d try a small quiver tip ‘tip’ ring on the base and stick with the top eye as is. If that proved too small a quiver intermediate could be put in place. How deep is it where you are fishing?

It would need converting. I’d try a small quiver tip ‘tip’ ring on the base and stick with the top eye as is. If that proved too small a quiver intermediate could be put in place. How deep is it where you are fishing?
14-15ft deep in the summer, and I prefer to use a slider float than a long rod. But unfortunately, I don't see any 8G+ slider float on the market.

Back