• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floats

First attempt, not so great, but I am getting there.
5822260C-EE75-4A7C-9F31-B49DF1D60765.jpeg

second try, reduced the top ring size so the stop knot can stop it, using float rubber to secure both rings, and protect the line from edge of the wire.

Attachments

• 7912497F-AA50-4A86-A3B9-6E0477777B64.jpeg
    7912497F-AA50-4A86-A3B9-6E0477777B64.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 182
second try, reduced the top ring size so the stop knot can stop it, using float rubber to secure both rings, and protect the line from edge of the wire.
Looks a bit more secure now.

Personally I’d do it like this then I know it’s not gonna come apart.
That’s just a couple of old big carp hooks I bent and whipped on in a fashion to give you another option
Certainly not a pro whipping job but it doesn’t have to be. Clear coat to protect it is just nail varnish.
A990C8E2-2985-4F8D-BCB3-80810940E8CE.jpeg
CE4AA7E8-0DDC-4460-991E-A7C757397A58.jpeg

Looks a bit more secure now.

Personally I’d do it like this then I know it’s not gonna come apart.
That’s just a couple of old big carp hooks I bent and whipped on in a fashion to give you another option
Certainly not a pro whipping job but it doesn’t have to be. Clear coat to protect it is just nail varnish. View attachment 19687View attachment 19688
That’s a nice job, using latex band allows me to remove the ring easily when I don’t need it. Using hook is a nice idea

That’s a nice job, using latex band allows me to remove the ring easily when I don’t need it. Using hook is a nice idea
Yeah that’s a good point. Whipping them on is a permanent solution. The rubber bands is a good idea if it Stays there well enough. 👍🏻

Use a very small bead above the float rather than allowing the knot to stop on the eye. It will slide a lot easier and the knot cannot get stuck in the eye. Nice job!

Use a very small bead above the float rather than allowing the knot to stop on the eye. It will slide a lot easier and the knot cannot get stuck in the eye. Nice job!
Yes, that's exactly my setup. The eye is small enough for the bead, but will pass the stop knot. I made a 5-6mm eye in my first try, way to big for the bead I am using.

I doubt I’ll ever use this but it was nice to see what they’d be like to try and convert. Varnish is pretty much touch dry now so better photos here
Could probably be better if I bought the line slightly closer to the float body but It looks like it does the job. Small stops won’t pass the eyes which is good.
6FBFDE80-96BA-4CC8-B627-66B7E37989EA.jpeg
DA24ED10-2CE4-4669-9B6C-F0251EC8F8E0.jpeg

I just wanted to add on Andy’s thread that I’ve been using these floats quite a lot since the start of the season and they are nothing less than excellent. The float stability is excellent and the visual fact that you can see them a long way down is super.
The half gram tolerance he gives on the olivette sizes is spot on to big bait. I’ve used them mainly dragging bottom in the hope that a barbel would clean me out. Hasn’t happened yet so far but I’ve picked up some whacking great chub while trying. Just ordered myself a second batch of different sizes and I’ve got high hopes they’ll perform perfectly on the Avon at britford in a couple of weeks time. 1 stop shop for me for river floats that’s for sure.

Was catching Grayling, Roach and Dace and a couple of decent Chub today, no Barbus unfortunately, whilst using the 6.5g. Love the control that I am able to exert to the float and the added bonus that the heavier float allows for in controlling the line and casting from a pin.
Defo one of my better investments <3

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone I really hope you enjoy using them! I didn’t want to start a company to take over the float world, just simply to get what I wanted and cover the cost. Most anglers collect be it floats, reels, rods, lures etc, we are as Brian says drawn to it. It’s just I took a punt out of frustration and became the owner of over 1500 new floats, I didn’t tell my wife….. I have been having some enjoyment posting them off and have had some great feedback. I’ll take everyone’s needs in mind and have a few new prototypes in the pipeline to cover various niches such as a ‘Stumpy’ big float for very shallow water and a bigger Big Float. Another I looked at over 15 years ago and never progressed were improved stick floats. I’ll look at smaller sizes as others have mentioned. Feed me your needs and we can see if we can do something to sort them!

Thanks Andy
Hi

Are you still selling floats?

Back