• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cage feeders

Chris Allcock

I've had a bash a making my own cage feeders only from 44mm hair rollers my own cast lead weights 3oz, 4oz, 5oz and some wire trace a swivel with some shrink tube. I gotta say I am really pleased with the outcome. Absolutely cheap as chips, what do you all think? Would anyone spray paint them or leave them as is?
20210904_145903.jpg
20210904_145903.jpg
20210904_145908.jpg

I have ( had ) quite a few identical to yours, I did not bother to colour them, just used as is…. now it may be that I was imagining things, but I never did any good with them, they work inasmuch as they carried the feeder contents well, shed them well, but I never seemed to mange to get a fish using them, on the same swim, using similar feeders that I had ,in a sort of muddy deep brown , and using identical end rigs I would catch, the same day , swapping the feeders around during the session , brown, white, brown, white etc it took me to the conclusion that a white feeder seemed to put the fish off.

I was convinced enough to salvage the lead and bin them, they had cost nothing as they were from my mother in law 🤣🤣🤣.

Try a few “au naturelle” against a few that you have coloured, it would be intersting to see if your findings are the same as mine.

Good luck whatever 👍.

David.

Black

I would imagine black paint on flexible plastic is likely to last about as long as the fight from a skimmer bream.
The surface will need a good rough up, solvent clean and a primer
Thin coats of the right paint and a hard clear coat will see it last well I think. I’ve done this to afew Spoppers and rod tops and it’s a very durable finish.

At the moment I’m trying to get textured finish’s to stick well on metal cages like it does to lead
That’s gonna be a very well camouflaged feeder. I’ve pretty much got it now but you need the cage absolutely glowing red then apply 2 coats and let them cool naturally to the point it’s just about to go shiny then dunk.
88FF545D-61BA-4A5B-B13A-D36E3F4CEDBD.jpeg

that zero glare texture finish is gonna practically be invisible among streamer weed

At the moment I’m trying to get textured finish’s to stick well on metal cages like it does to lead
That’s gonna be a very well camouflaged feeder. I’ve pretty much got it now but you need the cage absolutely glowing red then apply 2 coats and let them cool naturally to the point it’s just about to go shiny then dunk.
View attachment 16188
that zero glare texture finish is gonna practically be invisible among streamer weed
Wicked mate👍🏻.

Back