• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cage feeders

Ct1 sealant and model grass, or sand? Could be a winner. 😁
I do believe stuff like that gives an edge particularly on those tiny intimate rivers where there’s some really big girls hiding away. They’ve seen most things over their lifetime and making the feeder blend into the surroundings is one less thing for thrm to be concerned about

I've nibbed the rollers down with 240g sand paper then primed them, then they had a blast of some matt black paint which has adhered not too bad considering how flexible and shit the plastic is. They will do for today. Il definitely get some 6mm galvanised mesh for my next lot. Il let you know how i get on with them. I have some unfinished business on the tidal so off up there today for a night session. So fingers crossed 🤞
20210907_053712.jpg
20210909_101052.jpg
20210911_065744.jpg

I've nibbed the rollers down with 240g sand paper then primed them, then they had a blast of some matt black paint which has adhered not too bad considering how flexible and shit the plastic is. They will do for today. Il definitely get some 6mm galvanised mesh for my next lot. Il let you know how i get on with them. I have some unfinished business on the tidal so off up there today for a night session. So fingers crossed 🤞 View attachment 16265View attachment 16266View attachment 16267
They look well smart

Thanks rich, I can't believe how easy and cheap they are to make. I'm looking forward to making some metal ones.👍🏻
I’d strongly recommend coating the steel ones or going stainless
The galv mesh is too soft in uncoated form
You’ll be bringing them in bent up every cast otherwise.
the way I do them is more time consuming but they seem to be very durable.

Doesn't anybody use garden mesh anymore? I make batches of them simply by cutting a strip of mesh, folding over each of the long sides, cutting them into sections and forming each section into a feeder. It is possible to knock up a couple of dozen in next to no time. Given the nature of the rocky bed of one of my local rivers and the sunken tree stumps in the other cheapness is the best policy.

I don't worry about them being visible or not. If I wanted an invisible feeder I'd just use PVA bags.

Doesn't anybody use garden mesh anymore? I make batches of them simply by cutting a strip of mesh, folding over each of the long sides, cutting them into sections and forming each section into a feeder. It is possible to knock up a couple of dozen in next to no time. Given the nature of the rocky bed of one of my local rivers and the sunken tree stumps in the other cheapness is the best policy.

I don't worry about them being visible or not. If I wanted an invisible feeder I'd just use PVA bags.
All mine are made from mesh
They are even better when done in stainless.
I coat mine for two reasons…… 1 in clear water I do believe they’ll show caution towards something that doesn’t look like it belongs and 2 durability. They are twice as strong and abrasion resistant with a thick hard coating.
unlike carpers we don’t drop leads and feeders every fish so it’s nice to get them back pristine ready for another Chuck.

I use galvanised mesh, un-coated. I don't share the belief that feeders scare fish. Certainly not on the rivers I used to fish back home and out here in France. The other day, due to restrictions caused by trees, brambles, etc I had to use a short hook link, no more than 12" and the angle of reel line would have been greater than 45 degrees because of the depth of water and high bank, yet I still got the bites.

In one swim on the Vienne that is an absolute snag pit I made some feeders out of the brown plastic mesh that you use for baking and found in the pound shops. They were designed to be disposable feeders, but they lasted longer than I expected.

I use galvanised mesh, un-coated. I don't share the belief that feeders scare fish. Certainly not on the rivers I used to fish back home and out here in France. The other day, due to restrictions caused by trees, brambles, etc I had to use a short hook link, no more than 12" and the angle of reel line would have been greater than 45 degrees because of the depth of water and high bank, yet I still got the bites.

In one swim on the Vienne that is an absolute snag pit I made some feeders out of the brown plastic mesh that you use for baking and found in the pound shops. They were designed to be disposable feeders, but they lasted longer than I expected.
What thickness mesh are you using? I buy the galv in 0.8 and find it bends too easily unless it’s coated.

I don't know what the thickness is. I just get a roll of the standard galvanised mesh available in the garden shops. The ends are doubled over which helps to stiffen them and also avoids sharp edges and they are designed of a size to fit into the compartments of my box. I just fold some lead flashing over where the two sides overlap and add a loop of shock leader mono'. I've been making them like this for around five years.

The ones I made from the plastic baking mesh were secured using one or two tie wraps woven into the mesh around ths circumference and weighted with a strip of lead flashing as per the other ones.

Simple and cheap, just like me.

Back