• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

Finally a sunny day! My wife has been going stir-crazy with the unusually cool and rainy weather - so she got to choose where we would go for a drive and short walk.

So Belcastel on the Aveyron was her choice, it's on the river so good for me as well!

Belcastel panorama.jpg

A couple of anglers after trout, but I did not see them catch.

Belcastel fishers.JPG

To put the "stir-crazy" blues properly to bed Sally and I have bought camping gear. We have already a good trailer so an inflatable tent and all the rest of the gear was purchased. With our friends who run a canoe and guiding business we headed away to the Tarn gorge.

Sally was a little apprehensive as it's decades since we last camped and both of us have had recent health problems.

But the weather was kind to us and we had a wonderful four days amongst some of the best scenery in Europe. Of course I had to try the fishing!

Tarn view campsite.jpg

La Blanquiere 2.jpg
Tarn chub 1st.jpg

Only a small chub on bait, I had to trot the float and maggots 50 yds as the water was gin clear. Not easy on a short spinning rod!

I returned to fish the next evening with a 7' 4 weight fly rod, just as it was getting dark. I used the only fly I had that looked suitable, an epoxy nymph with a heavy brass bead head. I am not much of a fly caster anyway, but that fly was a difficult cast on such a light rod. After a few casts I was chuffed to get dace of similar size to that chub, the second came as it was almost completely dark. I was ecstatic as I thought the first a fluke, with the second dace I felt I had "done a proper job"!

Last time I caught dace off the surface was with floating chrysalis, freelined. I remember quite well, missing most bites so know how fast they are!

Wildlife abounds in the Tarn gorge. We saw a beaver, foxes (they raided our food supplies twice!), vultures and, pretty sure, it was a wolf on the opposite hillside.

Vultures Tarn.jpg

What a fantastic mini-holiday!

PS. Might have caught the chub on a shorter line - that shirt is hardly camo!

To put the "stir-crazy" blues properly to bed Sally and I have bought camping gear. We have already a good trailer so an inflatable tent and all the rest of the gear was purchased. With our friends who run a canoe and guiding business we headed away to the Tarn gorge.

Sally was a little apprehensive as it's decades since we last camped and both of us have had recent health problems.

But the weather was kind to us and we had a wonderful four days amongst some of the best scenery in Europe. Of course I had to try the fishing!

View attachment 15233

View attachment 15234View attachment 15235

Only a small chub on bait, I had to trot the float and maggots 50 yds as the water was gin clear. Not easy on a short spinning rod!

I returned to fish the next evening with a 7' 4 weight fly rod, just as it was getting dark. I used the only fly I had that looked suitable, an epoxy nymph with a heavy brass bead head. I am not much of a fly caster anyway, but that fly was a difficult cast on such a light rod. After a few casts I was chuffed to get dace of similar size to that chub, the second came as it was almost completely dark. I was ecstatic as I thought the first a fluke, with the second dace I felt I had "done a proper job"!

Last time I caught dace off the surface was with floating chrysalis, freelined. I remember quite well, missing most bites so know how fast they are!

Wildlife abounds in the Tarn gorge. We saw a beaver, foxes (they raided our food supplies twice!), vultures and, pretty sure, it was a wolf on the opposite hillside.

View attachment 15236

What a fantastic mini-holiday!

PS. Might have caught the chub on a shorter line - that shirt is hardly camo!
Brilliant pictures once again Steve.

A dawn start for another try for barbel at Cenevieres weir. I have tried several times for barbel here but have always blanked!

The morning sun was already lighting up Cenevieres chateau when I arrived, the mist lifting off the river as the cool morning air warmed.

Cenevieres chateau dawn.jpg

Cenevieres wier.jpg

Not much water coming over the weir, a little flow gave me some hope of a barbel.

But it was not to be, several small bites and me changing baits and position resulted in no barbel - as usual!

But a cast towards the shallows under the weir brought a take which had the rod doubled in an instant. The fish bolted to the deeps and the line went slack - broken hooklink!

Next cast another good take and I applied much more pressure on this fish. Again it bolted downriver and finally went around a sunken tree to my right. Into the river for me, up to my waist (again - getting to be a habit!!), but I got the fish out of the tree roots.

Not the big barbel I had planned for, but a 13lb river carp was quite welcome!

Cenevieres carp 13lb.jpg

This is such a lovely weir, one day I WILL catch that barbel!

Cenevieres weir 2 chateau.jpg

It would be nice to have a lot more river pictures posted in the gallery - please.

Was looking for one or two for the home page in closed season and it showed how few are actually posted.

I reckon there'll be some great photos out there.
Was thinking about that a few months ago Paul. Will post some when I get home Paul.

This has got to be my favourite thread on the site, I’m always keen to see the new additions....keep ‘em coming lads....PLEASE!

As a bailiff I have the easiest job on the club book,my river runs through a nature reserve,so no strimming or platform making,just keep it natural.And also only the anglers that like a challenge take it on.
I walked the mile and a half stretch yesterday and no one fishing.Far too hot though,I only fish evenings with the hope of catching one decent fish,no ‘bagging up’ here.
I took a few photos,and put my report onto the club’s Facebook page,a lot showed interest,but I know some will drive straight home again when the see that access to the waters edge is limited,and of course the river being crystal clear is rammed with streamer weed.
All that suits me,peace and quiet,and the river to myself.
There has been some stunning photos on this thread,mine are not of that quality.
A714E83E-6BF1-483D-BE7A-1986F797B76E.jpeg

Back