• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mortimer & whitehouse gone fishing

Yes. I understand. But if we all liked the same stuff we would all be siting on the Severn with big lumps of meat and the baitrunner on.😂

Its so predictable.

Nice place to fish
Fall over
Rubbish food
Over practiced crap angler
Health talk.

Repeat 10 times.

So why have you watched it - all ten episodes?

Please read above.
You stop in parts that they are actually fishing. About 3 minutes a program

So basically you haven't actually seen the parts that you are criticising. It is like just looking at the pictures in a book and then complaining about the written content.

Clive. I am sorry if my comments are causing you some distress.
Have you ever used a FF function or have the ability to?

You try to stop it at any bits of interest.
Naturally you overshoot.

You then go back with the FF function to see the bit you want. You often overun a bit and pick up previous minutes.

Like a bloke falling over again or another crap meal.

At 6x speed you also see much of it unfortunately.

Let me try and help you out.

We have threads such as.

What rod
What reel
What bobble hat.

There are differing opinions.

Some like X some swear by Y. And hate X.

Its called differing opinions. Often no right or wrongs.

Please sleep well and try not worry about whether I liked the program or not.

Ps. I didn't.

Clive. I am sorry if my comments are causing you some distress.
Have you ever used a FF function or have the ability to?

You try to stop it at any bits of interest.
Naturally you overshoot.

You then go back with the FF function to see the bit you want. You often overun a bit and pick up previous minutes.

Like a bloke falling over again or another crap meal.

At 6x speed you also see much of it unfortunately.

Let me try and help you out.

We have threads such as.

What rod
What reel
What bobble hat.

There are differing opinions.

Some like X some swear by Y. And hate X.

Its called differing opinions. Often no right or wrongs.

Please sleep well and try not worry about whether I liked the program or not.

Ps. I didn't.

I don't actually worry about whether you like the program or not.

What I fail to understand is how you have come to any opinion worth airing on the content of a 30 minute program that in your own words have only watched for three minutes of it. Watching the other 90% of each episode at 6X 'Keystone Cops' style with no sound is hardly basis for your contradicting other people's opinions that differ from yours.

By the way; I've already had two good knocks and a wrap-round. Care to make it a fully fledged snap-off? ;)

Oh Clive. No doubt you ARE worried, and I see the poison dwarf has suddenly come back from the wilderness and is enjoying your game with immediate likes. Mmmmm. There's a coincidence.

And as you obviously cannot accept an opinion that differs from you own it's pretty useless trying to help you.

So if it makes it any more helpful.

Sometimes I actually watch a tv program for just a couple of minutes start....and switch over. Ever done that?

What I have seen of the program gives me the opinion that it is not for me. I have not enjoyed the bits I have seen.
For the reasons given earlier.

So carry on Clive.

Don't kid yourself.

Could you show me where I have questioned anyone's opinion on this program.

Yes, I have switched off TV programs after a few minutes. But when I do that I then do not feel that I can then comment on the content that I have missed, let alone take issue with other people's opinions who have watched the whole lot. That is where we differ. You claim to have watched all ten episodes, albeit only a tiny fraction of each one, yet feel that you can challenge the opinions of people who have viewed and enjoyed the full series. Why do you feel that your opinion on this is so important and so right?

For what it is worth I enjoyed the programs. I watched them all through and they did what they set out to do; a bit of fishing, a bit of banter and raising issues on men's health. Perhaps you missed that bit?

Yes, there were continuity issues. There are on many TV shows. Yes there wasn't as much fishing as Korda's Krazy Karp exploits or Robson Green's shouty-shouty fake drama and excitement. But it was never meant to be. You can't film fishing in the places they visited and expect to catch every time. It should be obvious to everyone that BW isn't a natural angler and that he hasn't made much progress over the series so cannot really be committed to the sport. But he is a good laugh and you can laugh with him and at him. And, it has given many anglers insights into venues they may have read about, but never visited.

In the Angling Times or Anglers Mail Paul
Whitehouse was saying they only get to film about 4 hours of fishing every day which probably explains why so little fishing makes the final edit and the problems with continuity

if anyone’s ever been on a film or tv shoot you’ll realize how long it takes to get 30 minutes that looks as good as this does

I even found this more enttertaining

But George Smiley had more charisma.

Again. Just my opinion.

Believe it or not, i can have a waggle of a rod and give an opinion as well. Hopefully thats allowed.

As mentioned. I know I am in the minority.
But. I did not enjoy the program.

Last edited:
The sure sign of a troll.

You didn't think to post a link to the Hillsborough Grayling video or the Catfish on a 'pin? But you trawled up a mole catching video that I made. Tell you what though; having made a few amateur videos I realise better than some just how difficult it is to make a program. And as I watched every minute of them, not just three out of thirty I reckon that I am more able to make a judgement on them than you are.

What I was initially intrigued about was that you appeared to have watched all the programs despite obviously hating it. Now you have confirmed that you have only watched a tiny fraction of each I can put your opinion of the program in the 'Irrelevant' box. And given that you feel able to form strong opinions on things that you have little or no knowledge of, then any other opinions of yours are terminally undermined.

I shall be making good use of the 'Fast Forward' function whenever I come to your posts in future.

For ducks sake give it a rest the pair of you, you disagree, move on and behave like adults. I used to moderate the fishing warehouse at it hight of popularity and I'd have given the pair of you a ban

Well said Steve, let’s have no more please chaps, it’s spoiling a good thread.

There is an ‘Ignore’ but that you can use so you don’t see each other’s posts...click on the users name > ignore.

That is the beauty of programs like this. I have absolutely no interest in canal boating. But watching Timothy West and Pru Scales navigate the Canal du Midi inspires me to plan a trip down there and explore the area. There are some places that were featured in the Gone Fishing program that I have read about but only seen the location in a few photos in angling magazines. The program with its excellent photography has added flesh to the bones.

Oh Clive. No doubt you ARE worried, and I see the poison dwarf has suddenly come back from the wilderness and is enjoying your game with immediate likes. Mmmmm. There's a coincidence.

And as you obviously cannot accept an opinion that differs from you own it's pretty useless trying to help you.

So if it makes it any more helpful.

Sometimes I actually watch a tv program for just a couple of minutes start....and switch over. Ever done that?

What I have seen of the program gives me the opinion that it is not for me. I have not enjoyed the bits I have seen.
For the reasons given earlier.

So carry on Clive.
And Away.

For those of you who aren’t already aware, there is an hour long Christmas special on BBC2 on Sunday 13 December at 20:10. Fishing on the Esk and Tees plus a chat with Chris Rea. Can’t wait although I know some of you aren’t fans!

Dave
Game fishing or barbel fishing? ;)

Back