• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

End of an era or dawn for change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found Mr Pope to be ok if honest life to short for some of this childish ****.Im going fishing :D

John.
Thats what I'll be doing prior to deciding whether to continue membership.

I rejoined to support the R and C element, even though I think a couple of the elements of its work are a bit dressy and overall not great value. Just a personal view.

Also the changes to its Committee recently were good news for the future. Removing the personal blockage to new membership was good.

I'm encouraged that Howard is contributing and that needs to be a succesful long term supported addition to the Committee. There is a history of undermining within the BS hierarchy. Fact

I await news from the Show as to the future direction and plans of the BS.
If they meet my desires I will rejoin and see if the actions match any rhetoric.

You would love it Graham, you can share the saga of estrangement from folks on the other side of the world, how hard the BS Chairman works and how hard it really is being in charge of such a national organisation....... Ooo the stress!

Rich, stop bleating man, its not the end of the world.... Howard is just as you were back in the day, but a tad brighter. :)

Edit, Looks like the Blues have it. :)

Chelsea were nailed on back in August.:rolleyes:

Hiya Graham,

Well for those of us that haven't completely given up on the BS all we can do is wait and see, if we like the sound of these new proposals then im sure a lot of us will rejoin then lets see what comes to fruition, like yourself i like what Howard has to say......

The reason I re-joined was primarily to aid the R+C work. This can't be carried out without money in the pot. I paid my 35 quid not for me, not so I can get a couple of magazines a year or have the chance to fish somewhere different, I look beyond what's in it for me and more so what I think the society can do for Barbel fishing in general. They can do a lot more to help the sport for everyone with 3000 members than 600.

The more members that join, the more people that participate in the regions, the more publicity it gets through the junior work then the more money ends up in the pot. Whether or not you're a member, this will be of a benefit to ALL Barbel anglers eventually, not just those who pay their fee, go to the odd meeting or join to fish the waters.
R+C is expensive and time consuming. Things don't happen overnight. It is 2015, it seems to me that in 20 years the BS has done more to aid R+C than any other Barbel groups? Have any of the others helped with university studies? Science and the environment is continually changing. New challenges always arise. That's how I look at it anyway.

It matters not what has happened in the past, what mistakes have been made, who's ego has been damaged, who's dummy has been thrown out the pram. Live, learn and move on. That goes for everyone on both sides as far as I'm concerned.
If one is so adamant that the BS is the spawn of the devil, that urine is spilling in the wind and the wall is getting higher then so be it, but at least they're doing something. You get out of these things what you put in, it all depends on what an individual wants. No individual can single handedly carry out research, tackle problems or bring people together no matter how loud they shout. Not unless they're a multi billionaire and can afford to buy out the EA, lease every stretch of river in the land and control all elements of the equation. I'm fairly sure that such a hero would receive even more flak than Steve Pope does :eek:

If an individual wants to go out and fish for Barbel on his own, to escape from the daily grind and enjoy his sport then do so. There's no need for all the hostility, it won't put any more fish in your landing net.
If someone believes in what the BS stands for then great, join up, go to a meeting, make a donation. If not, enjoy your fishing and let others be.
Like Hatter says, it's not compulsory to join.

John.
Thats what I'll be doing prior to deciding whether to continue membership.

I rejoined to support the R and C element, even though I think a couple of the elements of its work are a bit dressy and overall not great value. Just a personal view.

Also the changes to its Committee recently were good news for the future. Removing the personal blockage to new membership was good.

I'm encouraged that Howard is contributing and that needs to be a succesful long term supported addition to the Committee. There is a history of undermining within the BS hierarchy. Fact

I await news from the Show as to the future direction and plans of the BS.
If they meet my desires I will rejoin and see if the actions match any rhetoric.

What a load of pompous and patronising drivel!
Make up your mind Graham, you're like an old woman!

Probably true Damian. But then I prefer women.

I even married one.

X
And remember.

When considering anything, do not lose its opposite.
Lao Tzu

I look beyond what's in it for me and more so what I think the society can do for Barbel fishing in general. They can do a lot more to help the sport for everyone with 3000 members than 600.

They don't do more than the Club I belong to and think your a member as well VAC?

After a work party I pay £87 for the coming season, loads of river fishing, still water fishing.

If I fancy a trip up the country I can get a day ticket for the Wye, Severn, Trent.

So tell me Dan what exactly they can do, that any fishing club can't do with the support/guidance of the EA ?

Nothing if the truth be known.

Why don't you go along to a regional meeting or the annual show next month and find out? Or even more simple, and it is almost too easy, ask Pete Reading himself. He is in a much better position to answer your question than me. There is also a list of the R&C projects on the BS website. You'd be very surprised at how much they are doing that doesn't get much publicity at all. I certainly had my eyes opened once I saw what they are doing - far more than my local club who too only have limited resources and who, to be honest, would rather put more carp into puddles to attract the modern instant angler than spend money on the rivers they lease. The Gt Ouse isn't the only river in the land that needs a little bit of a helping hand, they can't please everyone at once.

Ok so no, they're not spending hundreds of thousands on every single river up and down the country, the resources are limited with only limited membership. There's no such thing as a quick fix to a perceived problem, especially when it comes to nature, science and anglers desire to catch lots and lots of fish every time they arrive on the banks. They're doing a good job with what they have got. On the VAC waters - or very close to - you speak of, I'm pretty sure that Karen Twine did a good job of proving that all the Barbel haven't vanished? 19 out of 20 fish were still around over the study period. Wasn't there someone on here who encountered her on the bank, complained there's no Barbel as he wasn't catching and she detected 2 fish in his swim? Just because anglers can't catch them doesn't mean that they're not there.

If you are only interested in catching fish for your own pleasure then that's great, keep going to the Wye, Severn or Trent - You will catch Barbel and have many days happy fishing. But don't sit behind a keyboard having an easy dig at a group of people who genuinely have good intentions for the species and the sport. I enjoy the social side of the society which really is a refreshing change to the doom and gloom, secret squirrel number merchants that roam the rivers around here.

They don't do more than the Club I belong to and think your a member as well VAC?

After a work party I pay £87 for the coming season, loads of river fishing, still water fishing.

If I fancy a trip up the country I can get a day ticket for the Wye, Severn, Trent.

So tell me Dan what exactly they can do, that any fishing club can't do with the support/guidance of the EA ?

Nothing if the truth be known.

Well actually I was at a BS Regional Meeting last night and Pete Reading was a guest speaker, and despite the small revenue that the Society receive they do fund some very good and telling projects that improve River habitat through a variety of projects, very eye opening.
The very fishing you can enjoy in the country probably has been improved in some way by the BS to some extent.
In some way we should all wise up to the problems that face the species, to merely put how much it costs 'me' to catch a few Barbel is a bit selfish dare I say, unless we look to to sustaining and improving habitat there will be very little left, no matter how much you can spend or how far you travel..

Well actually I was at a BS Regional Meeting last night and Pete Reading was a guest speaker, and despite the small revenue that the Society receive they do fund some very good and telling projects that improve River habitat through a variety of projects, very eye opening.
The very fishing you can enjoy in the country probably has been improved in some way by the BS to some extent.
In some way we should all wise up to the problems that face the species, to merely put how much it costs 'me' to catch a few Barbel is a bit selfish dare I say, unless we look to to sustaining and improving habitat there will be very left, no matter how much you can spend or how far you travel..

Well said Neil. I was there last night too, didn't know if any BFWers would be there or not...... I was the chap with long hair and flat cap hoping that the West Midlands immigration patrols wouldn't catch me out of the Ouse valley.

Here we go again................. its always a race between hearing my first cuckoo and when the BS slagging starts every close.

Not heard a cuckoo yet!

Well said Neil. I was there last night too, didn't know if any BFWers would be there or not...... I was the chap with long hair and flat cap hoping that the West Midlands immigration patrols wouldn't catch me out of the Ouse valley.

Yes it was noticed you were not one of us:D, did you notice how the room fell silent..
I guess you were visiting the area Dan, as Cambs is some distance, the Severn looked spot on, just a shame we couldn't have a dabble.

Des was on his game:eek:

Ahh sod it I was hoping I wouldn't stick out that much :eek:

I was going to enquire where the best shad fishing was as I had the rods in the car.......

Nah seriously it was a Saturday night, in the close season. I may aswell drive 97 miles to chat about Barbel fishing than sit at home watching tripe on the telly! It was the first time I've met Des, indeed he was on full form :)

I am a Barbel Society member and on my 2nd time round and went to a regional meeting about 5 years ago. I don't have digs at anyone, just say it how it is.

Neil I'm not selfish I do my own thing and spend my money how I choose Thanks and that includes not rejoining when my membership expires.

Tony, all going well there's going to be a new region set up for the Ouse/Ivel/Nene area anglers in the next few months. Myself and a lovely chap from Nene country are both in the planning stages for an inaugural meeting in the Autumn. As soon as we have dates, speakers, a pile of raffle prizes and everything confirmed, you'll be more than very welcome - whether you're a member or not - to come along.`

Ahh sod it I was hoping I wouldn't stick out that much :eek:

I was going to enquire where the best shad fishing was as I had the rods in the car.......

Nah seriously it was a Saturday night, in the close season. I may aswell drive 97 miles to chat about Barbel fishing than sit at home watching tripe on the telly! It was the first time I've met Des, indeed he was on full form :)

That's what I call commitment Dan, as far as Shad fishing is concerned the Wye still sees a few , the Severn used to to be full of them where I live here in Tewkesbury.
Fast fighting fish, caught one by mistake on the Wye, very impressive.
Good luck with your new Regional BS , you might consider a fish in on your local rivers, wouldv swell numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back