• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dying on it's backside.

Hi Lee, I'm sure we will still have the odd peep.............. for old times sake.

Graham, It was deffo a grass snake, how I laughed, ol JW wasn't happy. :)

Lee, at your age, lets hope its not you.......:(;):eek::rolleyes::eek:

Tone. And I don't think anyone realised the amount of Hutch's monster Crab I added to Andy's chilli..........:rolleyes::eek:

Last edited:
Maybe Paul, then again...... I suppose you have to have been there in the first place to have the opportunity.

Yes JW, six or seven times a year, next trip over soon. As I recall Derek wasn't actually called Derek at all.

I was there, tony.

I was on Fishing Magic in the early days too, and still there when you decided that was no good any more too ;)

Last edited:
Don't worry, my time on here is almost over for the next couple of years.

Bloody hell! De-ja-vu! I remember now Lee how your training with the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts came to the fore when it came to throwing in the towel.

Last edited:
:eek:Snake:eek: Snake:eek:
that bleedin thing set up camp on some little tree roots in the rivers edge about 3 ft from where i was sitting on the bank!
but it aint got a patch on the snakes i have seen in spain bloody big red/black and yellow things live near the water out there but the worst one was awot turned out to be a tree python (probably escaped from a snake aquarium) about as thick as my upper arm and about 10 ft long, it came slithering sideways across the road right in front of me and the wife:eek::eek:
1st thought was run the thing over, then a flash in me head said NO!
wot happens if it dont die or gets stuck under the car
the snake slithered away over a bit of spare land between 2 villas, i sure
wouldnt wanna find that in the pool in the garden,
funnily enough i saw a lot of those red/black and yellowy white ones in the edges of the sweetwater canal when i worked in egypt, Lee i dont think your aware how many of the regular posters from the old bfw are still here in the background looking in, a guy with your education should realise that, just like the grown ups dont (most) go to school no more a big % still learn things.and some like a fair few i know got involved in the barbel catchers ,
not because this bfw is boring but because they were still seeking knowledge
and places to fish which they found elevating but most who did still look in bfw JUST LIKE YOU JUST DID!:D:D:D i aint changed and quite enjoy a civilised ding dong so long as it aint abusive nor threatening as you no doubt remember:)

Just as a matter of interest, when did BFW first appear ? It can't be that bad as its been around for a while.

I know I have been a member since 2004 ( I think ) in its various guises, and in that time have seen shed loads of posts from quite a few anglers who had more to say about other posters, than perhaps was called for.
I personally don't like offensive language, but on the other hand think that a debate can be blown out of all proportion without bad language being used at all.In my view people use offensive language when they have not had sufficient education to put a point of view forward in any other way.
We all have our views on a multitude of subjects both angling and non angling,and so far as BFW "dying on its backside" is concerned, well, I don't think so. As has already been said posts ebb and flow with the seasons, members come and go, peeping in, sometimes posting.
I myself look in a few times a day , don't post much, but enjoy reading the comments from all,and sundry, it's what keeps forums alive, If I have had a comment from another that I am at odds with, well, I either reply, or keep my own council , its hard in that instance for the protagonists to argue with themselves not having a board to bounce off, so to speak.
I dont think Facebook will kill BFW, in fact, there are still a significant amount of people who shun it, as I do, I am sure that a healthy proportion of BFW ers do as well.You don't miss what you never had.
So Andy, for me, BFW is still as strong, welcoming, interesting, informative, etc as it has ever been.
So far as the "Other Site" is concerned, never been there, it is of no interest to me, so cannot comment other than saying " going by what has been said by others, I refer back to my earlier statement "

David

Wow, this thread is still going strong! Dying on it's backside, obviously not with 229 posts on this thread alone.

Me being a newbie to this forum I find it a bit hard to understand what this is all about. However, my observations, having just read from post one is that some people hanker for the old (better?) days while some are happy with the way the forum is now.

From my own experience, there's nowt quite like rose coloured glasses while looking backward, but the past is never quite as good as we remember is it. If the site owners decided that they didn't like the way things were going, then its their decision and their right to make changes to protect their site.

For those people who complain about the way things are now, don't just moan, do something constructive, post positively, share your thoughts and experiences and enjoy. If you can't do that then at least stop cribbing as its your choice if you want to stay on the side lines.

As Abe Lincoln once said "You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

Sorry if that's peed anyone off but that's how I see it.

Last edited:
no, i reckon you got most of it right except for 2 things Martin ( hello for the 1st time as well mate)
one major thing is something newcomers dont realise and that is no bad language please, women and kids frequent bfw and i dont suppose anyone wouldnt take offence if anyone came into their house and started swearing in front of their family, no offence but if not told cant be aware of that side issue mate,
the other bit which reared its head early on in thread was non- members outside trying to create dissent here
apart from that Welcome to BFW Martin:):):):):):)

Lets get one thing straight, lots of those members who were on the membership before the Big changeover and tightenin up on the boards are still here and because they dont post much or not at all they are still here
i think they got a bit sick of the constant pecking by a few jealous guys who aint on bfw no more but bet yer boots the guys still look in,
John,

Says it all for me unfortunately. Hope you're keeping well mate.

Tommo

Charity begins in Rome apparently.

Now now Damian you are starting to show your petticoats again. If there ever was a drama queen?

Just because I'm better looking than you and can fish the Kevin Nash underpants off you there is no need to get your line in a birds nest. This thread was merely about giving ones opinion on the state of BFW play so I gave mine. No big deal old love, I hold the same opinion about all of the angling forums not just this one. 100 billion hits a day crikey even you must admit that's internet compulsion gone bonkers? You'd not get those numbers if you dropped ten yen notes down on China.

Can't see the balls of dry brushwood blowing down through the mean streets of Barbeldom having any chance of matching those bananas.

HELLO!............. HELLO!.......... Anyone there? And who's that guy in the big chair at the end of the huge table covered in cobwebs?

You are one funny guy Damian.

Regards,

Lee.

Hello Thommo:)
me and ray will have to arrange a days fishing with you once me wife is up and about again, shes laid up with a badly shattered kneecap and shin bone at moment,
hope everythings well with you and family mate:)

Now now Damian you are starting to show your petticoats again. If there ever was a drama queen?

Just because I'm better looking than you and can fish the Kevin Nash underpants off you there is no need to get your line in a birds nest. This thread was merely about giving ones opinion on the state of BFW play so I gave mine. No big deal old love, I hold the same opinion about all of the angling forums not just this one. 100 billion hits a day crikey even you must admit that's internet compulsion gone bonkers? You'd not get those numbers if you dropped ten yen notes down on China.

Can't see the balls of dry brushwood blowing down through the mean streets of Barbeldom having any chance of matching those bananas.

HELLO!............. HELLO!.......... Anyone there? And who's that guy in the big chair at the end of the huge table covered in cobwebs?

You are one funny guy Damian.

Regards,

Lee.

Chris Ponsford is better looking than me Lee.
It always has been a place to exchange opinions, that's not in doubt, but in assessing the value of such a time and place, we must assess the opinions exchanged. And that really, for me, is where your argument falls down.
Irrespective of whether or not initially topics began in all seriousness, they very soon became flooded with fools expressing nonsensical opinions hardly even worthy of being called such. Invariably they were related to something Steve Pope had done or said, and then were very loosely attached to everything the Barbel Society stood for. Name calling and **** taking presided over everything rational in those days, and then came the dark side.
Andy and his team might have made good fortunes from those days, but chose to end that period of mindless disrespect by introducing accountability.
Fair play to them.

Damian 'it's in my Damina' Kimmins

Dearest Damian,

What on earth has Steve Pope got to do with this? Twas not I that mentioned Ma Lords name twas thee. Are you possibly fixated with the chap? He sent me birthday greetings the other day on me Facebook thingie so no bad blood there melado methinks? Never been one to lurk beneath Darth's cloak tis true but never bore any malice either.

"flooded with fools expressing nonsensical opinions hardly even worthy of being called such". Dear oh dear there you go again. Its rude you know to keep constantly pulling people down just because they don't happen to agree with you. Life is a rich tapestry full of wondrous things and part of that wonder is being able to air ones opinion. Barbel policemen like you Inspector Kimmins should stop bonking people on the head with their truncheons each time they pop their heads above the parapet wall. There has been oodles of people on this thread with opposing opinions to my own. Have I cast stones at any of them for having their opinion? Nope. I make an exception for you my precious cos you are a sucker for it. And in truth I quite enjoy our little exchanges even if you do box below the belt on occasions.

As for my good friend Mr Ponsford he is the typification of good looks and general manly demeanor. I was talking to one of his EA Enforcement colleagues the other day when I was asked for my rod license and he knows Chris well. Incidentally it must be 15 years since I was asked for my rod license.

Tarrum Tarra Tarrum Tarra.

Regards,

Lee.

I thought that Mr Ponsford had piled the weight on myself Graham. Perhaps ate too many pies whilst he waited for his knee to mend sat in the EA office? Good angler and catcher of big fish plus he knows a fair bit about snap shots. Oops, sorry, photographic master pieces in case the big man is lurking.

Regards,

Lee.

I thought that Mr Ponsford had piled the weight on myself Graham. Perhaps ate too many pies whilst he waited for his knee to mend sat in the EA office? Good angler and catcher of big fish plus he knows a fair bit about snap shots. Oops, sorry, photographic master pieces in case the big man is lurking.

Regards,

Lee.

Hello chaps ,tis indeed the good burger of Worcester ,here , and how lovely to see my old chums from Barbeldom still playing .

As for Friar Lees comments (well he is from Sheriff country " about the Porky Pons ,well I am aghast ,my training regime of finest pies and brekkies is going famously ,but I am lurking on the banks again in my big yellow jacket with da boyz ,obviously in a squash 'em type roll ,rather than fleet of foot ,though am lead rally driver across the fields in the 4/4 .

I have not read the rest of the thread ,but ,n'owt much changes ,mee ducks ,just we are little older and in my case greyer than the burgermeister from Maidenhead ,The Silver Fox ,himself .

Life goes on a pace ,far too busy really ,but all good fun :)

Lots of love to all my good friends,cos that's what you all are ,we are all far too seasoned for any blooming spats.

Work tomorrow again ,back out on the beat ,as it were .The sword of Damocles must indeed be wealded to those that abuse our laws of the land .

Back