• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lone angler

Actually I have to 'fess up' over something that has been playing on my mind for a bit, some might remember that I took the stance that the Drennan Twist Lock pole was trash and I went on to say that a company like Drennan should not be selling such with all it's faults etc etc...anyway I have bought one, it was part of a job lot purchased from a BFW member, and I must say it looks very nice, but is rubbish at landing barbel.

Actually I have to 'fess up' over something that has been playing on my mind for a bit, some might remember that I took the stance that the Drennan Twist Lock pole was trash and I went on to say that a company like Drennan should not be selling such with all it's faults etc etc...anyway I have bought one, it was part of a job lot purchased from a BFW member, and I must say it looks very nice, but is rubbish at landing barbel.

No doubt it will have improved it's performance levels come the end of June Neil :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi men ,

Neil , if you still don't like it when we next meet , will swap it for a fresh cuppa tea from Sue kettle !, fair swap :p. I could do with another for when Sue wanders off :D .

Hatter

Hi men ,

Neil , if you still don't like it when we next meet , will swap it for a fresh cuppa tea from Sue kettle !, fair swap :p. I could do with another for when Sue wanders off :D .

Hatter

That sounds pretty fair to me, missing fishing the rivers so bad at the moment, and only 3 weeks in too. But you know actually trying to find you two in 8ft high Balsam is nigh on impossible:)

Not in this nanny state we live in now Ade....but that was a belting experiment wasn't it? Even the teachers loved that one :D

Cheers, Dave.

What happened?

Actually Chemistry lessons were taken by a certain Mr Prideaux who was to say the least not one of these mad professor types who liked big bangs, however Biology was a different matter when we got to perform autopsies on Frogs and such like, even dead dogs and cats were brought in that were scavenged from the local 'tip'.:eek:

The carcass's was boiled down and the skeletons of someone's beloved pet's were displayed in the class rooms for 'future reference'.:(

Way off subject now, where were we?:eek:

Crikey Ade, Bored? :)

Perhaps you could start a new thread on the 'best way to weigh a landing net handle' I am sure some will fall out over that too.:p

Actually, how did you weigh it?

Not bored, just adding another dimension to the debate.

How did I weigh it?

Well I could have done it the way you weigh a cat, i.e. pick it up, weigh yourself and the cat, put it down and weigh yourself, subtract little number from big one and that's the weight of the cat. Or you could do what I did and tie a loop in one end of a bit of string and a slip knot in the other, put the slip knot over end of the handle and the loop over the hook on the scales.
Its not rocket salad.:D

Ammonium dichromate volcanoes were my favourite, we had one teacher Gus Sayer who would do 'fizz bangs', as he called them, at the end of a lesson as a reward if we behaved.

If we played him up he would slipper everyone in the class as we left the room, even that was fun though, he used to make us line up and run past him as he took a swing at your rapidly departing ass. He was a very funny man and even though he is well into his 90s he still has a big booming voice and a twinkle in his eye, he also still calls me patches because my school trousers were always patched on the knees.

Absolutely....Trev never wanted to put his name against anything that was not British made, I believe he stuck to his words on that [maybe wrong] I'm under the impression the gear is linked with Cotsworld am i right????

Go back to sleep Julian :D:D Either that or read what has gone before :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Had mine for years Neil and cant fault it and think its spot on for barbel

If you go to BBC Radio Lancashire At the waters edge Martin James interviews Lone Angler owner Mike O"Neil on the Banks of The river Kennet very interesting. The link is there for the next 3 days if you want to have a listen. Maybe sombody could put a link up please.

Regards Ray Thorpe

Last edited:
Just sent off for a landing net handle. I will put on a review once ive given it some abuse.

Thanks Micky for putting that link up for me. Patrick I have just brought the Lone Angler Landing net handle. You can give it plenty of abuse mate.

Ray

Thanks Micky for putting that link up for me. Patrick I have just brought the Lone Angler Landing net handle. You can give it plenty of abuse mate.

Ray

Like ... Now listen here you over length piece of carbonised c**p, i'm gonna hook the biggest mother of a Barbel in this stretch today, 'an you'd better not make a pigs ear of landing it or you're headed for the bottom of the river - ya piece of **%& - get my drift ?

Like that you mean Ray :p

Like ... Now listen here you over length piece of carbonised c**p, i'm gonna hook the biggest mother of a Barbel in this stretch today, 'an you'd better not make a pigs ear of landing it or you're headed for the bottom of the river - ya piece of **%& - get my drift ?

Like that you mean Ray :p

Hi Ian Something like that, but it wont be going to the bottom of the river. It looks a really good strong Landing net handle, and Lone Angler tell me they have spare parts if anything goes wrong. Heard today there looking to bring out a Lone Angler Landing net as well.

Regards Ray Thorpe

I reckon I have got the wrong handle to wrestle up the bank my 18lb new Severn Record then.:p

Can someone explain please what is all the fuss is about with this Lone Angler Handle, and the new net too if there is any info on that would be a great help, I need to be prepared .

If it can take that kind of abuse on a regular basis that's some handle!

Back