• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zander

Anyone else been fishing the cut for Zander ?

I've done well recently, biggest 9lb but I've had some 8's and 7's too.

2016_04_17_12_11_53.jpg

Piscatorial Quagswagging....

Last time I tried the cut was early April,had plenty of the ravenous schoolies,but only one 8lb plus fish.I see you've done really well Mick,also well done on the river carp,it took me a fair while to bag a river twenty so I know what it means

The carp was a chance capture Mark, I rarely target them so was lucky. Zander and carp are the first species I'm targeting on a new stretch I'm fishing on the Avon in the new season.

Also still trying for a bleeding 5lb chub :eek:

Know the feeling Mick,chasing a fish you greatly desire.I'm trying for a big tench at moment and really struggling,not many places in the midlands to go at.I haven't decided what or where to target come June 16th,did river carp last season and didn't blank in 6 sessions so perhaps I used up a fair quota of my luck then!

Apologies from a Southern boy for slightly hijacking the thread, but does anyone know whether the plan in the late 90s to stock zander into suitable waters down South (Somerset levels, lower Bristol Avon etc) ever came to fruition? A Google search suggests not, but it was quite a big thing at the time and there was quite a lot of debate about it. Just seemed to have gone quiet and, aside from a few lakes, nothing else has been mentioned as far as I can see.

Mark. Tench.....join the club!

BAA Uckinhall is doing plenty big zander by all accounts.

Never caught or tried for one but with a struggle to get decent tench it might be a change to try.

Yep - I've caught small Zeds on worms in the past and a mate had a 6lb'er on a bright yellow pop-up in the middle of a winter night.:)

Mark. Tench.....join the club!

BAA Uckinhall is doing plenty big zander by all accounts.

Never caught or tried for one but with a struggle to get decent tench it might be a change to try.

I didn't state in my original post Graham but the Zed a mate had on a boilie one December night whilst Carp fishing was at Uckinghall Lake. I was there and it went 6lb odd. That must have been 2006 as after the flood in 2007 we decided it was better fishing the river for the Carp stock :D. We we right both catching Grassies in the early part of the 2009/10 season :eek:

I wouldn't have thought Uck or the Zeds could take a lot of pressure from Pred anglers so it may not last - who knows.

Steve. Pics on BAA website by lake are interesting. Only said about it as available on the site.

Hope not messed up for you.

Steve. Pics on BAA website by lake are interesting. Only said about it as available on the site.

Hope not messed up for you.

No not at all G - I've not been a BAA member since then (2007) I do my Zedding elsewhere.

Just took a look - Nice fish, and no surprise

Never caught a zander in my life but would love to try. Could anyone suggest a stretch of river where I'd be in with a good shout? (I'm not looking for doubles, just decent middle-range fish that are present in reasonable numbers). Not looking for details of hot swims either, just some clues on roughly where to start.

I live in Burton on Trent by the way so rivers like the Trent, Derwent, Dove, Warks Avon etc are all within reach.

Steve, being local I'd stick to the Trent. The middle and tidal reaches have a good head of zander: they do like a bit of depth but can come shallow at times. Try fishing for them when the rivers up a bit and there's some colour in the water. Obviously the last hour of daylight and into darkness are good times.

After a few fruitless trips to Old Bury Hill I decided to commit and buy a permit which allows fishing after dark.

Conditions were perfect yesterday and after dark I caught 4 zander to approx 5lb and a sprat loving bream of about 4lb. 2 of the zander came on a light running ledger and 2 on a waggler float rig. Two of the fish were deep hooked but I managed to get the barbless single hooks out OK . In future I will definitely be striking at the first indication/rather than wait for a run to develop.

The thing that really surprised me was the lack of fight - a bit disappointing really and I was using a 1.75lb barbel rod and a power float rod - not heavy pike gear.

One of the other anglers fishing close to me got a decent fish of about 8lb so I will try again when conditions are right.

Back