• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zander

Cracking fish Richard, sounds like you enjoyed the week and very much made the most of it.
Thanks Dave, I had a fabulous week, really enjoyed it and it exceeded my expectations.

Enjoyed it so much I will be heading back next year - this time to try a stretch of the 7 recommended by Steve Hodges

Gotta get me one of these toothy critters at some point. I’ve got no excuses really as there’s miles of drains on my doorstep

Going tomorrow to Rutlands for my first trip targetting Zander. Conditions not ideal, but could be worse. With the wind, hoping one drogue is all that's needed, as that's all I have.

I know most have a second rod left over the edge of the boat and relying on the motion to give the lure action. The thing is, the rod holder I ordered nearly 3 weeks ago never arrived. Any advice on a makeshift solution I could use to keep the rod safely in place?

3CBE7006-3342-4DB6-8953-71963F02485E.jpeg

First fish of 2022 from the River Avon near Evesham. We managed to catch three Zander and a chub, this one on dead roach, all the others on mackerel. Who says they don’t take sea baits🤷‍♂️ I wonder if this was down to the clarity of the river with mackerel being a smelly bait?

View attachment 17432
First fish of 2022 from the River Avon near Evesham. We managed to catch three Zander and a chub, this one on dead roach, all the others on mackerel. Who says they don’t take sea baits🤷‍♂️ I wonder if this was down to the clarity of the river with mackerel being a smelly bait?
Excellent Carl.

Fatty that one. I'll be going for one Friday but lots lower down river.

Yes, small roach half. Bought on ebay packs of 10. But I'll be harvesting some bleak soon.

I find them better than roach.
Do you not run the risk of hooking pike graham? They feed very aggressively this time of year and swallow small dead’s in seconds? I assume your traced up at the least.

Are those circle hooks any good for using with small roach half baits or bleak? Or should I use small trebles Ive got some 10lb soft strand to make a trace. Must give it a go…

To answer both questions.

I use Partridge double hooks, Ideally size 4 or 5. Lip hooking heads or tail root. To 15lb soft strand.

15lb because I find 10lb has a tendency to kink too much.
Couple of pointers. Use a lead much heavier than you think. I use 4oz on the Lower Severn, It will ensure you don't get the weight of the lead on the bait when it gets taken.

Casitng out, Keep a tight line all the way down. It will prevent the bait tangling and the trace twisting.

It goes without saying, bites can be very frustrating. From a one inch tick to a rip off.
I am enjoying the challenge.
Thanks to help from Anthony Wilson and some advice from Stevie Williams I have managed a double at 11.7 and a 9lber as well as quite a few 2 to 6lb with mate Paul Monaghan

Then a fabulous day on the fly at Gratham for some super 6 to 9lbers

It is one of the few types of fishing where I use bite alarms and bobbins.

The nature of Zander fishing, and their movements in groups means you can have a few takes in 45 minutes followed by peace and quiet for a few hours.

I caught 3 pike only last year, one was an 19lber on a 2 inch bait. None in 5 trips so far this season.

I AM no way as experienced as some on here. Quite happy if they disagree with anything I have intimated. Or want to add.

Last edited:
To answer both questions.

I use Partridge double hooks, Ideally size 4 or 5. Lip hooking heads or tail root. To 15lb soft strand.

15lb because I find 10lb has a tendency to kink too much.
Couple of pointers. Use a lead much heavier than you think. I use 4oz on the Lower Severn, It will ensure you don't get the weight of the lead on the bait when it gets taken.

Casitng out, Keep a tight line all the way down. It will prevent the bait tangling and the trace twisting.

It goes without saying, bites can be very frustrating. From a one inch tick to a rip off.
I am enjoying the challenge.
Thanks to help from Anthony Wilson and some advice from Stevie Williams I have managed a double at 11.7 and a 9lber as well as quite a few 2 to 6lb.

It is one of the few types of fishing where I use bite alarms and bobbins.

The nature of Zander fishing, and their movements in groups means you can have a few takes in 45 minutes followed by peace and quiet for a few hours.

I caught 3 pike only last year, one was an 19lber on a 2 inch bait. None in 5 trips so far this season.

I AM no way as experienced as some on here. Quite happy if they disagree with anything I have intimated. Or want to add.
It sounds a fabulous way of fishing graham I just couldn’t do it like that round this way as my pike to Zander ratio would be much higher than yours and I simply couldn’t put anything resembling a dead bait out before the 1st frosts. I’ve caught pike in summer and I don’t like it at all. They are a menace for swallowing stuff really quickly and they fight themselves to absolute exhaustion.
The risk is far too great for me to be comfortable. If you can avoid them while dead baiting then fair play to ya. Great Zander fishing 👍🏻

It sounds a fabulous way of fishing graham I just couldn’t do it like that round this way as my pike to Zander ratio would be much higher than yours and I simply couldn’t put anything resembling a dead bait out before the 1st frosts. I’ve caught pike in summer and I don’t like it at all. They are a menace for swallowing stuff really quickly and they fight themselves to absolute exhaustion.
The risk is far too great for me to be comfortable. If you can avoid them while dead baiting then fair play to ya. Great Zander fishing 👍🏻
The Zander on the LS and WA probably outnumber the pike 200 to 1!

I always have long nose pliers and metal glove just in case. Just a double hook pattern.
No worries

Back