• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zander

I’d love to catch one. Sadly round this way on the rivers, the pike out number them probably 50:1 so it would definitely be a winter sport and definitely a wade through to get to them. Night time I’d say best bet.

I’d love to catch one. Sadly round this way on the rivers, the pike out number them probably 50:1 so it would definitely be a winter sport and definitely a wade through to get to them. Night time I’d say best bet.
Not done to much night fishing, but its safe where I'm going now Rich so once the dark falls earlier will give it a couple of hours into night
Early / Late pm seems the time so far.
And they definitely come through, with my limited experience, in groups.
Often 3 or 4 bites in 30 mins then quiet periods.

If you want to give it a go, come this way and join me for a dabble.

Or join me on a fly day on Grafham in next few weeks

Not done to much night fishing, but its safe where I'm going now Rich so once the dark falls earlier will give it a couple of hours into night
Early / Late pm seems the time so far.
And they definitely come through, with my limited experience, in groups.
Often 3 or 4 bites in 30 mins then quiet periods.

If you want to give it a go, come this way and join me for a dabble.

Or join me on a fly day on Grafham in next few weeks
I’d absolutely love to have a go graham. It’s a fish I have never caught and I can’t think of a better way to want to catch them than guided under your wing.
You’ve certainly got it down to a fine art no question there. Let’s get something in the diary if you are sure you are happy to have me tag along. Thanks mate

I’d absolutely love to have a go graham. It’s a fish I have never caught and I can’t think of a better way to want to catch them than guided under your wing.
You’ve certainly got it down to a fine art no question there. Let’s get something in the diary if you are sure you are happy to have me tag along. Thanks mate
Pm Rich

Over night on the W Avon with 7 Zander between 5lb and 10lb 2oz. 20230630_052203.jpg

To a degree

I've gone through a learning curve of experimentation since I started for them a couple of years ago. Lots of advice from friends, but wildly different views.

Started with double Partridge Ryder hook, soft trace and 3oz lead on the WA. Lip hooked. Seemed OK but lots of twisted traces involving reties.

However, this setup was totally inadequate for me on the Very deep in places Lower Severn from the bank. Far too many tangles, and at distance, after a tap from a fish, the worry that the bait had gone and time being wasted.

It took me a fair time to work out what was causing the tangles, mainly because you only saw them on the line retrival. The heavy lead preceding and dragging the bait down. Maybe 50ft, was frequently picking up the mainline following, even holding the line once hitting water. This especially so on upstream casts.

A few experiments led me to come up with a problem solving solution. I now add shrink tube to around 1/3 of the trace at the top. Sealed along the trace and base of swivel.

I started out on the L Severn after the Ryder hook concerns with a double size 10 red treble hook.
It certainly kept the bait on, BUT 3 trips ago
8 bites, 2 dropped fish, 5 missed and one caught, gave me concerns.

I changed to Ryder hook size 4 double in lip,
Size 12 treble in back. Since then, bites are more positive, 3 out of 4 takes are captures and sizes have increased, maybe just lucky.

Nearly all fish are hooked on the Ryder large hook.

It seems to have worked, but stress I'm no expert, but have enjoyed the problem solving route
20230628_114447.jpg
20230628_114503.jpg

Last edited:
To a degree

I've gone through a learning curve of experimentation since I started for them a couple of years ago. Lots of advice from friends, but wildly different views.

Started with double Partridge Ryder hook, soft trace and 3oz lead on the WA. Lip hooked. Seemed OK but lots of twisted traces involving reties.

However, this setup was totally inadequate for me on the Very deep in places Lower Severn from the bank. Far too many tangles, and at distance, after a tap from a fish, the worry that the bait had gone and time being wasted.

It took me a fair time to work out what was causing the tangles, mainly because you only saw them on the line retrival. The heavy lead preceding and dragging the bait down. Maybe 50ft, was frequently picking up the mainline following, even holding the line once hitting water. This especially so on upstream casts.

A few experiments led me to come up with a problem solving solution. I now add shrink tube to around 1/3 of the trace at the top. Sealed along the trace and base of swivel.

I started out on the L Severn after the Ryder hook concerns with a double size 10 red treble hook.
It certainly kept the bait on, BUT 3 trips ago
8 bites, 2 dropped fish, 5 missed and one caught, gave me concerns.

I changed to Ryder hook size 4 double in lip,
Size 12 treble in back. Since then, bites are more positive, 3 out of 4 takes are captures and sizes have increased, maybe just lucky.

Nearly all fish are hooked on the Ryder large hook.

It seems to have worked, but stress I'm no expert, but have enjoyed the problem solving routeView attachment 24373View attachment 24374
Fantastic job.
Nice bit of evolution there too Graham. Taking a rig and making it better to suit what you need it to do.
What’s the best form of bite indication for them and are they funny with resistance

Evening all. I’m hoping to try for a lower Severn zander later in the year. Do people fish two rods watching the tip? One watching the tip? Or using alarms and drop off indicators?

Back