• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zander

Mark Harridence

Senior Member & Supporter
Just seen this picture in A.M. Stunning 19.4 Zander caught off the Severn by Steve Williams aka 'ScubaSteve', someone who contributed a great deal to this site and who is a really good bloke and a really good Angler. 👍
20200115_161613.jpg

Swoon Steve Williams of Improve your coarse fishing tench fame?

Cracking fish Mick, an 11.8 is a good zander anyway, never mind from a canal. Interestingly, there's a debate/argument currently going on over on the BAA forum, where the forum village idiot is insisting canal zeds should be dispatched. :(

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 22.55.58.png

6 years in the making, finally after 217 times of trying for a canal double I caught one yesterday, 11lb 8 ounces and different to the fish the YouTuber Nic Avon Angling UK caught on the same stretch albeit half an hour away.

My Blog Post About the Capture Here
Phenomenal fish Mick, congratulations! I read your story and for your efforts and the capture, you deserve a round of applause mate.

I've dabbled a bit on the Midland canals over the years and have had them to 8.11, a double from one of those waters would be a fantastic capture!

Very well done indeed.

Last edited:
Phenomenal fish Mick, congratulations! I read your story and for your efforts and the capture, you deserve a round of applause mate.

I've dabbled a bit on the Midland canals over the years and have had them to 8.11, a double from one of those waters would be a fantastic capture!

Very well done indeed.
Thanks Dave, my resolve was tested plenty of times. I've had a 9lber an 8lb 10, a few 7's, 5 and 6's, but a double hard to come by. An 8lb 10 fish is a cracker. Many over estimate Zander as they don't weigh what you think they will half the time. As soon as this one was in the net I knew I'd done it. I will be fishing for them in the closed season again but with this new(ish) area on my radar hopefully a bigger one will turn up.

Thanks Dave, my resolve was tested plenty of times. I've had a 9lber an 8lb 10, a few 7's, 5 and 6's, but a double hard to come by. An 8lb 10 fish is a cracker. Many over estimate Zander as they don't weigh what you think they will half the time. As soon as this one was in the net I knew I'd done it. I will be fishing for them in the closed season again but with this new(ish) area on my radar hopefully a bigger one will turn up.
I know what you mean regarding your resolve Mick. I haven't put anywhere near the effort you have into the Canals, mainly because where I live I'd be driving past some of the finest Zander fishing available in the Country and that's a really hard sell, especially when conditions are good. I did however have a bit of a crack between 2012 & 2016 and all in, I've probably done 40 or more sessions learning some valuable lessons along the way. As mentioned earlier, the biggest I managed was 8.11 which incidentally looked much bigger as it swirled in the very small, shallow canal venue! I've also had a couple of 7's and a few 6'ls but that is as big as it's gotten for me. I'd love a Canal double but in the cold light of day, I realise it would mean a few miles on the clock and some serious effort! I do take the kids for a trip once or twice a year, usually in the closed season. Great fish mate!

Hi Guys,

My wife is due to attend a training course in Moreton on the Marsh in two weeks time. I'm planning on going with her and see it as a once in a life time opportunity to spend a week on the Warwickshire Avon to try and add a zander to my fish list.

Would really appreciate any information on where to fish. I have arranged to meet up with a couple of old school mates for the day at Bredon on the Tuesday and have joined BAA .
As I understand it, the weather looks likely to be against me with it going cooler but would appreciate any recommendations of venues within half hour/40 mins of Moreton.

Pm if preferred. Thanks in advance.

Rich B

Hi Guys,

My wife is due to attend a training course in Moreton on the Marsh in two weeks time. I'm planning on going with her and see it as a once in a life time opportunity to spend a week on the Warwickshire Avon to try and add a zander to my fish list.

Would really appreciate any information on where to fish. I have arranged to meet up with a couple of old school mates for the day at Bredon on the Tuesday and have joined BAA .
As I understand it, the weather looks likely to be against me with it going cooler but would appreciate any recommendations of venues within half hour/40 mins of Moreton.

Pm if preferred. Thanks in advance.

Rich B
PM Sent

Well I've just returned from my weeks zander fishing on the Warwickshire Avon and under the harshest of conditions I managed five zander including this absolute cracker of 9lb 9oz.

I also had a few pike to 15lb.

would like to thank Graham Elliott and Steve Hodges for help and advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211203-180153_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20211203-180153_Video Player.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 269
Well I've just returned from my weeks zander fishing on the Warwickshire Avon and under the harshest of conditions I managed five zander including this absolute cracker of 9lb 9oz.

I also had a few pike to 15lb.

would like to thank Graham Elliott and Steve Hodges for help and advice.
Well deserved Richard

Sounds like a great weeks fishing Richard.

Great photo as well, I'm not sure I've seen any zander pics with a blue sky in the background. Good angling 👍

Sounds like a great weeks fishing Richard.

Great photo as well, I'm not sure I've seen any zander pics with a blue sky in the background. Good angling 👍
As I say Joe - the harshest of conditions. As we arrived in Moreton Sunday evening it started to snow and my first day on the river - Monday looked like a "Christmas in the Cotswolds " scene! I managed three that day.

When I had the 9 there was a clear blue sky, brilliant sunshine and frost on the ground!

Back