• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Your go to bait

They do smell great Pete I don't think you can go wrong with sonubaits gear I do use there elips at certain rivers/parts of the season.

That's my WAEF/go to bait ( WAEF = When All Else Fails! ) 2 8mm's glued back to back - barbel magnets. Totally irresponsible using them as apparently they are very unhealthy and lead to big fat Barbel!

That's my WAEF/go to bait ( WAEF = When All Else Fails! ) 2 8mm's glued back to back - barbel magnets. Totally irresponsible using them as apparently they are very unhealthy and lead to big fat Barbel!

Big fat barbel is what its all about Andrew;)

In honour of the original poster, this season I will be using 15mm Korean dogs boll**ks !

Last edited:
I was going to make some spicy chilli beef boilies and give them a go, then I decided I might not want the backlash if the beef turned out to be horse so gave up on the idea

in terms of go to bait, it would have to be maggots, just about guaranteed not to blank that way

Many thanks for the genuine posts and apologies for the ten year olds who have never grown up.
Good to see the baits of old being listed.

Many thanks for the genuine posts and apologies for the ten year olds who have never grown up.
Good to see the baits of old being listed.

I think it wise when frequenting forums like BFW to let sleeping dogs lie when at all possible.
I had great success a few years back on a recipe for paste and boilies I conceived myself. It was quite expensive to produce though. If I had ready access to that I'd like to consider that my favourite bait, in the event though it's most likely Trigga or Trigga Ice that I'll use most of the time.

I like to use maggots at this time of year but failing that Activ8 is a proven bait, year in year out, day or night, flood or low water, it is very reliable. I used to use lobworms a lot but it's virtually impossible to be selective and the swim is constantly disturbed due to perch, chub, eels etc.
I know a lot of people say barbel will eat whatever's in front of them if they're hungry and I tend to agree, but it's surprising how often a change of bait will produce an instant response. I have found this most often when replacing maggots or boilies with meat. Whether they just prefer it at that time or the meat is easier to locate I'm not sure.

I tend to go for sainsburys own and flavour it myself Andrew

Back