• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Your go to bait

Dynamite the source- granted I rarely use the boilies now but still like the pellets in the mix and the stick mix for the teme. But the range used to be ace in the puddle chuckin' days and had success on the river on it.

Hopefully see you on the weekend Patrick !

garlic spam seems to get a lot of mentions in threads i shall certainly try it this year. Any preferred make?

There is only one make of Garlic spam , and that's made by Spam , can be a little difficult to track down at times , try Sainsbury's

Last edited:
I have been very lucky to have been field testing for a new bait company for just over a year now..Been fishing very hard gravel pits last year for some very big proper english carp, which i had very good success with..Time for the Barbel to have a go this year..The boilies are called Fruits of the Sea, which just smell absulutely awsome and during tests have caught some very big pressured fish...
I will post results..
Looking forward to fishing the river much more this season..

Good luck to Everyone..

Has anyone tried Natural Crave boilies from the Hook Bait Company? They sound good. I am a big fan of The Animal boilie from Ace Baits. Great smell and texture (it has crunchy bits).

garlic spam seems to get a lot of mentions in threads i shall certainly try it this year. Any preferred make?

It's a generic term :) Blimey you must have had a good upbringing, Spam was the 'go to' meat many a time to go with the salad.

Other cheaper brands work well too, Co-op Morrisons, black pepper, bacon grill, the lot, nice to eat Al Fresco too, washed down with a cooling Fanta in the River:p

It's a generic term :) Blimey you must have had a good upbringing, Spam was the 'go to' meat many a time to go with the salad.

Other cheaper brands work well too, Co-op Morrisons, black pepper, bacon grill, the lot, nice to eat Al Fresco too, washed down with a cooling Fanta in the River:p

Always used the one that says Spam on the tin. Tried many others but 'Spam' is the one I like. Used to have to be luncheon meat when i was a kid. Prefer a spam fritters you can keep the salad.:D

A very easy question. Lamprey pellets outfish every thing I have ever tried, on a pretty hard river. The big bonus is that you don't go home smelling like an incontinent tramp, which is the case with some other pellets and baits.
Shaun of the fragrant.

Thanks, I will get to a Sainsbury's. Sounds a lot less hassle than flavoring it myself!

No more hassle than mixing ground bait. Simply cube the meat to your desired size, place in a resealable bag, add a little oil and drop some garlic granules/salt In and massage the ingredients together. Freeze for a deeper soak in of the flavour.
Or if you want and have time in the off season get a bottle of oil and insert garlic bulbs in or add granules to make a garlic oil.

So simple a ten year old can do it.

Always used the one that says Spam on the tin. Tried many others but 'Spam' is the one I like. Used to have to be luncheon meat when i was a kid. Prefer a spam fritters you can keep the salad.:D

Think I only used Spam Garlic last year, with all the flood water it did really well, but the Co-op 'Spam' is also good for me for some reason, if you can't get the real stuff.

Back