• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Your first barbel photo

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

After a few great old photos appearing in the BFW Gallery over the past couple of days, I thought I'd start a thread encouraging members to show off their first ever barbel (I've a feeling we may have done one before but I can't find it).

Here's mine; a Bristol Avon fish caught in Chippenham weir pool in the mid to late 80's:

10600415_10206392091548476_1127320099762239349_n.jpg

Let the nostalgia roll...

Cheers,

Andy F

Can’t possibly post mine. In my blind panic and excitement I did the old go-go inspector gadget arms thing. To compound the embarrassment the photo was taken by a former barbel record holder. 🙄

In mitigation, It was a double, but still….

The silly thing is that if there’s one thing to make a big fish look smaller it’s to shove it up close to the camera. By contrast, smaller fish held close across to your lower abdomen can look rather large.

Can’t possibly post mine. In my blind panic and excitement I did the old go-go inspector gadget arms thing. To compound the embarrassment the photo was taken by a former barbel record holder. 🙄

In mitigation, It was a double, but still….

The silly thing is that if there’s one thing to make a big fish look smaller it’s to shove it up close to the camera. By contrast, smaller fish held close across to your lower abdomen can look rather large.
Come on!!! Don't be shy...?

Hi all,

After a few great old photos appearing in the BFW Gallery over the past couple of days, I thought I'd start a thread encouraging members to show off their first ever barbel (I've a feeling we may have done one before but I can't find it).

Here's mine; a Bristol Avon fish caught in Chippenham weir pool in the mid to late 80's:

View attachment 18110

Let the nostalgia roll...

Cheers,

Andy F
Andy, please, a short-shorts trigger warning!!!!😋

Alas my first barbel (Bristol Avon, I THINK Freshford, but it may have been Avoncliffe), all 4lbs of it, wasn't photographed. My previous personal best (a mere 7lb) was, but unfortunately got lost/accidentally binned during our last house move, along with most of my other catch pics.

Not my first (that was from Claverton near Bath while fishing for eels) but a early fish from Bath AA water.

View attachment 18118

Bristol Avon, Bath AA, Haydens Field, circa 80s.

Cheers
Bob
Goodness, I lost count of the fish I had along there. Up in the spinney was a swim with a reedbed, where you could wade out and trot through the funnel. Great sport with roach, dace, chub and barbel. Generally fishing hemp and tares.

I know it was late 1972 as I had just turned 16 and my Dad had bought me a 50cc moped that meant I could travel via the A1 dual carriageway to the River Wharfe 38 miles away. Albeit at 30mph.

I had a rod, two rod rests, landing net, rucksack, flask, food, bait, waders, hat and waterproofs all on a 50cc moped. But no camera or micro shorts.

You will just have to imagine it.

Personally got back into fishing after a 20 year hiatus. So this is my first ever barbel on my first ever season back, hooked at 12:03am and landed at 12:30ish on June 16th 2021. 🤣🤣👌🏻
View attachment 18123
Young Andy had golden hair, you Anthony have golden !!….well think David Beckham 😱🤣..well done that man 👍

Back